Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 22nd, 2008 20:00

Studio 1535 Problem!

Every so often, the touch-button that raises volume becomes "stuck". I can only temporarily get rid of the problem by shutting down the computer. After I turn the computer back on, it makes a very loud beeping noise then proceeds to work, for the most part, normally. Also, my mouse stops every so often in the middle of moving it. Please help! I don't want to have to send my laptop in if this is fixable.

Thanks for all of your help.

In case it matters, I'm running Vista Home Premium on my Dell Studio 1535. I'm fairly certain I have all the BIOS and the drivers updated.

39 Posts

December 16th, 2008 06:00

This is the best thing I have heard so far! How about ANY operating system other than Vista (which uses a different boot process than XP. Mine has a similar problem, and is on it's way to the Depot for the second time. If someone can reproduce the problem with some regularity, they could try a live CD of any operating system... Ubuntu would be easy!!! Then there would be no changes to the system... Pop out the disk and it is back to normal(error and all). If someone is willing to try a live CD or USB flash drive, please post the results here.

Some have told me that installing XP would void the warranty; I don't know how they would know as long as you did not disturb the restore partition. I have another system running XP and Vista is in the restore. So at any point, I could overwrite XP with Vista.

I am leaning toward this being a hardware issue. See http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19243924/19389959.aspx for more about this problem.

When the error occurs on mine, The lights above the keyboard light in succession from left to right, then right to left. After that, I hear the DVD drive initialize, and that is the point where the high volume light stays on, and beeping starts.... Is this the same for everyone?

1 Message

December 16th, 2008 17:00

I found this on another message board- the problem is with the wiring routing:

"I recently bought one of these myself and also experienced the crazy eject behavior (amongst some other issues). I also noticed that the plastic cover behind the keyboard (where the speaker openings are) was kind of bowed.

I removed this cover and found that some of the antenna cables were not properly routed and were causing interference with the cover and also the circuit board that provides the capacitive sensing switches (indluding volume and cd eject). After re positioning these cables the cover snapped down better and the crazy eject problem stopped.

If you are somewhat handy you might try fixing this yourself.
remove the battery
remove 2 phillips screws that are under the battery
gently pry the plastic cover off careful not to apply too much force. There are some light snaps that help retain this part in addition to the 2 screws. Also there is a white flat cable that connects the cap sense board to the motherboard. (See the photo) If not careful you might tear this cable when removing the plastic cover.
Once under the hood you will notice some rather obvious wire routing channels for the antenna cables that route through the hinge to the display. Apparently these were not so obvious to the folks who assemble this notebook..

I put some photos on flickr that you might find with a search including 'dell studio 1535 eject'"

2 Posts

December 16th, 2008 17:00

hiya - sorry for lack of response :) i got word from technical support and they've had me do a series of PC restore jobs - restoring software back to when i first got the computer etc - but it hasnt changed anything - i didnt think this would work as i don't think its a software issue - i only just got the laptop 2 months ago so have really added anything except 0ffice and security stuff - i've barely put anthing on it cept some pics and music...so its a hardware issue eh - don't you think?

z

p.s i also have this issue that when the dvd freezes and none of the tocuh buttons work (including eject) i try ctrl-alt-delete to get the task manager - i can click the task manager button but can't see the pop-up window to actually get in to the task manager - so frustrating! means i need to reboot manually all the time - which can't be good for the computer or my time - its making the computer a frustration rather than an entertainment and work enabler :(

14 Posts

December 17th, 2008 04:00

I have been discussing this problem on a different forum. I had my motherboard replaced, which did not fix the problem. I was waiting for some new parts to arrive, including a new wrist pad and keyboard. However, before the parts could be installed, I got severely shocked by my computer, which certainly supports your theory about the loose wires. However, why would this have not been resolved with a new motherboard. Wouldn't the technician have needed to remove and reset all the wires connecting the motherboard. I have a new 1535 on the way. I am hoping that this one does not have the same problem but I am hopeful that if it does, we can more quickly resolve the problem. For those who are having this problem, please beware!  Back up your computer often, in case your hard drive gets fried from the electrical surge of power and be careful!  Having a surge of electricity running through your body isn't fun either!

39 Posts

December 17th, 2008 11:00

I'll chime in on this one. Mine does the same thing; more likely to fault when COLD!

39 Posts

December 17th, 2008 11:00

It's interesting you should mention the DVD drive. I have noticed that the beeping starts EXACTLY when the DVD drive initializes. Anyone willing to do some troubleshooting (since mine is at the depot)? You could disable the DVD drive the boot devices in the BIOS (boot only from the hard drive). The DVD would still work with those settings. Post what happens.  The next step would be to disable it completely.

78 Posts

December 17th, 2008 23:00

hi i've posted on other threads similar re media key problems.  i've had 2 1537 studios vista premium and both have problems. 

1. eject key comes on from cold boot stays on while other keys dont work then goes off after 5/10 mins.  sometimes on the first machine it did try to eject cd/dvd although none in drive.

2. sound on/off media key doesn't function most of the time especially if i restart.

i firstly had a 1535 and it had the eject problem and touchpad problems.

with my latest 1537 i also have issue with cd/rom drive not working.  tech hardware updated bios from 4 to 5 and reset to factory settings made no difference. when tech told me to take battery out and put back in and checked drivers etc the battery icon now says 'no battery dected' so thought it needed motherboard as well as cd/rom and palmrest.  they wanted to collect machine and repair it at depot but failed to collect on 16 dec then again on the 17 dec. both days i had to wait in all day.  no calls no apologies nothing.

i telephoned last night and was fobbed off with they would check and uplift today.  i refused said i wanted a new working one and now i'm waiting for a manager to call me today as he advised they would not be replacing it.  it is one week old and i have decided not going to accept repairs if they cant organise an uplift to repair depot.  i've had 3 engineers visits already on the others and numerous hours of calls and most of the time tech support are none too helpful.

i want a laptop that works properly and all these people with issues on the studio 15 deserve to have them resolved immediately, but dell don't appear to want to know. i'll let you know what manager has to say.

thanks for reading.

11 Posts

December 18th, 2008 04:00

I am still having problems too, I am beginning to think they should recall the Studio 1535 everyone seems to be having problems with it.I have been getting tech support from Dell everyday the people helping me are in India I wish I would have bought a Gateway at least they are in the United States.

78 Posts

December 20th, 2008 13:00

further to my last post here i rec'd a call from dell but not the manager and the guy insisted since i hadn't contacted them within 7 days i would not get a replacement.  i rec'd the 3rd faulty laptop on 8 dec and contacted them on 10 dec but as they didn't uplift for repair on two occasions they tried to say i was over the 7 days.  it clearly wasn't but despite my protests i could not get through to this imbecile that i had contacted them.

he kept repeating himself over and over and not listening to a word i was saying about emails i had sent etc etc.  then he just hung up!!  totally unbelievable.

i immediately had to call back and go through the rigmarole on the phone again.  needless to say i was seething but this time i was lucky to get a support person who could read the case file and at least acknowledged my previous contact.  he agreed i was to receive a new machine, i tried to say i hoped it wasn't like the others and the faults were rectified.  i was assured!

However i rec'd a copy of order today and its incorrect as one of the parts are wrong!  apparently its also in the delivery stage (after 1 day). i've sent emails but no one has got back to me.  what will they do now send the laptop with the wrong part and i have to go through all this yet again?  i've never experienced this kind of incompetency or such poor quality products. 

i've taken to lying down in a darkened room banging my head on the walls and family are sewing on the straps on the white jacket.

11 Posts

December 20th, 2008 21:00

I feel your pain I am going through the same problems the person I have been talking with is in India so of course she always calls when I am at work I told them what time to call me back but they never call during the day. I am so sick of them trying to fix it over the phoneI know it has to be a hardware problem why should we go through all of this when we have just spent $1,000 on a new computer I think they should take them back since so many people are having problems with them, Its very poor customer service, I made the mistake of buying this for a Christmas present for my daughter. I do have a Dell desk top though and have never had any problems with it. knock on wood. L.O.L.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2008 00:00

My attempt to loosen the screws on the bottom didn't sort any appreciable effect, so I think that theproblem sits inside the touchbutton stripe.
If the problem would get worse, I think I'll totally unwire the buttons and go withouth, as they are not so indispensable...

78 Posts

December 21st, 2008 02:00

i've read on these forums that replacement units are not new!  it would appear they're returned systems which have apparently been refurbished.  they are not solving these problems tho so i believe they must just be sending them back out to customers kidding us on they are new replacements but they are not and have not been fixed of problems.

my 1st machine took weeks to arrive, went through all the prepartion, assembly, delivery etc etc but the latest replacement was prepared, built etc and in the delivery status after ONE day.  i'm awaiting my 4th machine now and again its ready in one day!  this latest order includes an incorrect part no - wrong screen part no so not sure if error or they just hoped i wouldn't notice.  i rec'd confirmation of the new order no and a link to process status the day after support agreed to replace and when i click on link its ready for delivery!  something not right here.

what is also strange is that the service tag originally would not be accepted on the system saying i was outwith the country, i was told it took up to several weeks for it to come through.  the replacements service tags' are immediately recognised.  is this because laptop is not new?

i've had motherboards, optical drives, drivers, os, palmrests all replaced/installed and still these studios do not work properly.  engineers andy and jim have their own alloted parking bays at my home! 

this isn't just a small batch of studios with issues is it?  i didn't want to return my latest so hoped it could be fixed or dell would let me know they at least knew what the problems were and were doing their utmost to fix them.  Not one has admitted anything to me.

i will be requsting a full refund if this next one is faulty which i'm quite sure now it will be. 

these are all the problems i have on the latest replacement:

1.  cd/dvd rom drive won't work - had varying degrees of problems on all laptops

2.  eject key comes on no other media keys will work until it goes out normally after a cold boot - on all laptops

3.  media sound on/off key won't function intermittently usually after a restart - on 3rd machine only

4.  no battery is detected - icon has a red x and i can't update bios seemingly because of this - on 3rd machine only

5.  dell dock error message flashes past consistently every time i close down - on all machines

6.  issues with fingerprint reader not detecting - on 2 machines

is there anyway to tell for sure that the 4th laptop i'm waiting for is new or just recycled rubbish?  this latest one i'm returning will probably be sent to someone on here soon as a replacement and that isn't right is it?  hello dell............ are you there?

11 Posts

December 21st, 2008 03:00

I'm not sure but I think it is against the law for them to sell you anything refurbished without them telling you its refurbished

2 Posts

December 21st, 2008 05:00

I have the same problem on a Studio 1535 that arrived Dec 16, 2008.  the touch sensitive Volume Increase button will sometimes be stuck "on" and I cannot turn it off.  this has happened twice, both times after awakening the laptop from sleep mode.  I tried to reset the volume using the volume icon in the lower right tray, but the laptop still automatically increased the volume to the max.  I will download and install all the relevant software and firmware and see if that helps.

39 Posts

December 21st, 2008 08:00

Ulipo:

PLEASE post the results here if you disconnect it... even if it gets worse. Someone else had luck by re-routing the cables. I'm wondering if this is an electromagnetic/sheilding issue. All it takes is one Bozo and a couple shifts to have hundreds of problems.

Everyone Else:

Has anyone noticed a deformation in the keyboard or touch pad above?

No Events found!