Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 22nd, 2008 20:00

Studio 1535 Problem!

Every so often, the touch-button that raises volume becomes "stuck". I can only temporarily get rid of the problem by shutting down the computer. After I turn the computer back on, it makes a very loud beeping noise then proceeds to work, for the most part, normally. Also, my mouse stops every so often in the middle of moving it. Please help! I don't want to have to send my laptop in if this is fixable.

Thanks for all of your help.

In case it matters, I'm running Vista Home Premium on my Dell Studio 1535. I'm fairly certain I have all the BIOS and the drivers updated.

4 Posts

February 11th, 2009 07:00

To remove the panel that has the touch bittons on it, do you simply pry it off?

39 Posts

February 11th, 2009 18:00

NO!!! don't pry off the hinge cover until you remove the screws under the battery (two). The one I fixed was not mine, but a co-workers, so I don't have it to send pictures. Another user said that he/she had success with leaving the screws loose. I just can't do that, so I put a little spray glue on two paper washers (the kind you use to mount mainboards), and placed them over the screw holes on the top side.

The ribbon attaches on the hinge cover and under the keyboard. To remove the keyboard, carefully remove the strip around the keyboard(snaps in place), remove the screws at the top, and snap it out. I found I had to flex it slightly.

4 Posts

February 11th, 2009 18:00

Ya ok, I found the screws when I took off the media button panel. I wiggled a few wires and then put it back on. I left the screws out and I have not had any problems since.

7 Posts

February 12th, 2009 22:00

FYI, the problem with the self-ejecting did return, but the frequency has deminished greatly. I covered the main connector on the back of the hinge cover and the ribbon cable with electrical tape instead of scotch tape to better sheild the components. I am still theroizing that it is some kind of electrical/magnetic interference that is causing it , but I can't be sure. Anyone else try this? Also I noticed that the ribbon from the back cover to the motherboard is awfully short and therefore has alot of creases. This could also be part of the issue. A slightly longer ribbon cable could help too.

-Doug

2 Posts

February 13th, 2009 15:00

I've been having the DVD eject problem since I bought my Studio 1535 back in July. I regret not returning it when I could have.

I've tried two different BIOS updates, a reinstall of Windows Vista, and I even installed the Windows 7 Beta on a second partition. The problem persists. The only thing that seems to help is after I turn off the computer at the end of the day I unplug it and then flip it over and remove the battery. In the morning I put the battery back in and turn it on, and no more DVD eject light.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the battery, because if the laptop is completely separated from all power sources (AC and battery) while it's turned off overnight, it starts fine in the morning. Or maybe it is because I leave the laptop laying on it's lid instead of on it's bottom... but I can't imagine why that would make a difference.

Anyhow, I really hope Dell can provide a real solution soon. I'd hate to think they are waiting out the end of my 1 year warranty before they provide it.

15 Posts

February 13th, 2009 19:00

Guys go to the link below

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=STUDIO1535

Install the Quickset application under applications and note book system software under system utilities.(make sure you choose the right OS )

Reboot and it should be fixed

39 Posts

February 13th, 2009 20:00

This is a hardware issue. It happens under Ubuntu. Dell Depot re-installed Quickset, and it did not fix the problem (at least for me).

3 Posts

February 13th, 2009 21:00

I purchased the Studio 1535 in mid-November and have had the same problems.  DVD eject constantly trying to eject.  The beeping at startup is the most prevelent.  I have called Dell Technical Support at least 5 times.  They have flashed the BIOS twice.  Had me reseat my hardrive and memory once, reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium.  I am still having the same problems.  I guess I will try and remove the cover over the media center buttons and see if my cords are being pressed.  I am ready to send the computer back abd have them fix it or send me a new one.  Obviously this isn't an isolated incident from all of the previous posts.

16 Posts

February 14th, 2009 09:00

I agree with Adam750:)  A few possibly helpful pictures are posted here for anyone that wants to just disable the function keys and say goodbye to the flakey behavior.  While you have it opened up, you should also verify the routing of cables to make the keyboard and hinge cover lay flat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuck3hood/

The work around I shared a while back maintains the hdd, wlan, and bluetooth indicators while disabling the troublesome function keys.  This proved to be a solid fix.  Dell has since sent the replacement hinge cover assembly to me, but I have not installed it since my mother (and the computer) are out of town.  Probably I will leave well enough alone since these function keys are seldom used anyhow.

The ZIF connector and 'Flat Flexible Cable) are really very reliabile and commonly used for such applications so there is no reason to suspect that interconnect at this level is at fault.  The eratic behavior is related to the capacitive sensing thresholds and the sensitivity to electrical noise and such.  Purportedly, some firmware change on the hinge cover pcb has adjusted the sensitivity to resolve the issue.  Since I have not installed the updated part I can neither confirm or deny.  Some users have reportedon this thread that the new hinge cover did indeed fix the eratic behavior. 

5 Posts

February 14th, 2009 09:00

IMO best solution is to disconnect the control cover.  I  like it disconnected,  Studio now functions flawlessly, even looks a lot more aesthetic &sexy without the dumb lights, never realized they were such a distraction and totally useless.  Num LK light still works and you can use Fn F10 to eject CDs(w/o software), plus no more finger prints so why bother with it.

Once it was disassembled I quickly observed that that the panel ribbon connection at the motherboard is a marginal design.  Ribbon is inserted into a connector on the mother board and a tab gets pushed down 90 degrees to put pressure & locks the ribbon.  This ribbon is miniature and has 8 to 10 fine wires.  I’m skeptical that you can get uniform loading on each conductor due to light pressure from the lock,  it’s not like a factory crimp.  My problems appeared during cold starts, so my observation may support that.

Also, there was round cable on right side of the ribbon that was mis-routed, actually above the tabs and it created a slight bulge in the keyboard.  I was able to disconnect it and loosen it by the hinge to gain slack and was able to route it properly under the tabs.  Keyboard now sits totally flush and is flat which makes me very happy.  BTW, that misrouting didn’t put pressure on the control cover and I don’t think it affected magnetic interference. My cover (F962C) had protective shield underneath.

Anyway, the disassembly is very easy.  Takes about no more that few minutes.

Remove 2 screws from battery compartment.

Turn over and open lid to the max

Remove 2 screws holding keyboard.

Lift up keyboard bezel with your finger nail (no tool required).  Start where panel meets.

Everything un-snaps very easy.

If you decide to disconnect the ribbon, put piece of tape over the bare conductors.

Dell may come out with a better control cover but they can’t improve the connection without redesigning the MB.  So its possible that there might not be a 100% reliable fix if my observation is correct.  I’m satisfied for now and staying disconnected, don’t have to work on this problem anymore and everything works but I won’t buy a Dell again unless I’m well compensated for this design defect.  

7 Posts

February 14th, 2009 10:00

FYI,

If you decide to disconnect the ribbon, Microsoft has a program called Intellitype that you can use to re-map the keys. Saw this in another thread. Maybe it was this one. I can't remember. Anyway....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DF48E271-8973-4F20-8C16-252DFB7D8F9E&displaylang=en

-Doug

3 Posts

February 19th, 2009 17:00

Well, my studio was sent in on the 9th of Feburary.  The laptop is still under warranty.  I bought it in October.  I have not had it apart at all.  The laptop was purchased from Dell as a refurb.  I received a call today from the Dell Repair Depot stating that my laptop was physically damaged.  Physical Damage was not covered by the warranty.  The Dell Assistant wanted $358 to replace the motherboard because the connector for the media touch buttons was broken on the motherboard.  I told her that I was not giving her any money.  The Assistant then stated she could fix it for a special price of $199.  (358-199=159)   I told her again I was not giving her any money.  She responded that my motherboard would not be covered under warranty any more.  I see Dell customer service is going in the toilet.  I told her to give me a new hinge cover.  She said okay and now I hope my motherboard doesn't fry.  Just thought I would let everyone know that is paying attention to this thread. 

MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM IS THAT THE EJECT BUTTON STAYS ILLUMINATED FROM A COLD START. 

Any help would be appreciated.

39 Posts

February 21st, 2009 10:00

Sog75-

Your may be able to fix the connector. If not, I would just disconnect it and save yourself a lot of trouble. When you get it back, post a picture of the damage here. Let's see if we can get you fixed up.

-Tech7

46 Posts

March 7th, 2009 08:00

Anyhow, I really hope Dell can provide a real solution soon. I'd hate to think they are waiting out the end of my 1 year warranty before they provide it.

That's exactly what they plan to do it seems.  I also should have returned mine instead of letting them talk me in to a replacement.

46 Posts

March 7th, 2009 08:00

Thank you for posting these pictures.  I was having the same problem without the mis-routed cables and sent my laptop to the depot for repair.   When they replaced the panel and motherboard it came back with the entire wire bundle above the clip so that the wires and panel got damaged and the screen could not close all the way.

I reported this to dell and told them the problem was not resolved.  They accused me of causing the new damage and said I had to send it to the depot again for "inspection" to see if fedex did the damage or me, of course it wasn't fedex cause they delivered a perfect package and the laptop was still wrapped in plastic; it's ludicrous that they would accuse me since I have on interest of spending 20 hours a week on the phone/chat/email with them trying to get repairs/replacements.

Has anyone found a long-term fix yet (aside from physically disabling the panel)?

No Events found!