Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2009 19:00

Studio 1537 + Win 7 x64 + Radeon 3450 = Black Border Around Desktop w/ HDMI Out

service tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy legal>

studio 1537

ati radeon mobility 3450 video card

windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

i clean installed windows 7 ultimate 64-bit a month or so ago.  ever since then my hdmi output doesnt work right.  there is a black border all the way around the desktop on the tv or external monitor.  i can change the settings, which werent wrong to start with, and nothing happens... same thing.  another thing, which may just be me, is that it seems like the quality of the hdmi ouput isnt as good as it was with vista 32 bit.  the pictures just look bad when watching movies, and the contrast / exposure seems to be way to high when its on the desktop.  let me be clear; these problems are with the second display only.  my laptop's screen looks fine.  the only thing i've notice with it is that when running hdmi out, i get black bars on the top and bottom of the laptops screen.  but that's only when running hdmi to an external, and i assume those bars, and the black border on the second display, are caused by the same problem. 

• can connect through vga, and it comes up full screen, like it should.  no audio through vga, so that doesnt really help. 
  • tried several versions of the ATI Catalyst Control Center, the most recent being the "stable" release from a few weeks ago (november '09).  i think it's v10. 
  • tried uninstalling the CCC, and using the generic windows drivers
  • googled it many times, in many ways, and spent hours looking for a solution, but so far nothing has worked
  • tried an HP driver for the same video card

13 Posts

December 6th, 2009 12:00

anyone have an idea?

4 Posts

December 29th, 2009 13:00

Dell will tell you there in no Win 7 Video driver set for the studio 1537 laptop that has the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 installed and if you go to the support page and put in your service tag it only has Vista drivers. However if you select the Studio 1555 which also uses a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 video card they do list Video drivers for Win 7 for this device(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=STUDIO1555&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=) . When you install this driver you get the Catalyst Cntrl app and you can use this to scale the picture to get a full display(just load the Catalyst app and select Scaling).

It is a discrace that dell do not bother listing this driver set for the Studio 1537 when you go onto the support site entering your service tag as it uses the same card as the 1555. Dell also show a Win 7 compatibility table listing the 1555 as Win 7 compatible but the 1537 as Not, go figure. I have Win 7 installed and running perfectly now on my Studio 1537.

13 Posts

December 29th, 2009 16:00

AWESOME!!!  it looks like you signed up just to reply, so i really appreciate that.  i'll go ahead and install everything, but it'll be a few days before i can try it out and say whether it works or not.  i expect it to work, since its the same card.  thanks again.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2009 18:00

It worked fine for me and that was after days of installing(or trying) driver sets from AMD(CCC would not install) and the Vista driver from Dell untill I got the idea to look for a Dell Win 7 driver for the Radeon 3450 and to my surprise I found one(as above). The issue is scaling which the vista driver does not do because it does not install the Catalyst app which you need to change the scaling setting. Just be sure to uninstall you existing Video drivers first, I uninstalled the Video card making sure to tick remove drivers as well and then booted into safe mode and ran Driver.Cleaner.Net, rebooted and installed the Win 7 driver set. Booting into Safe mode and running Driver.Cleaner might be a bit overkill but thats just me. Anyway when you do install the Win 7 driver you will also have the Catalyst Cntrl Cntr installed. Run this(CCC) and make sure to select Advanced Mode over Basic. You will have to have the Laptop connected to a Display(or TV) via HDMI for the setting to become available. On the scaling menu it will identify the display you are connected to and here is a slider on the scaling menu and you just move this up untill you see the screen filling out(no black borders) and then hit apply, thats it. Best of luck. If you need any more info just post back, I'll keep an eye on this thread over the next few days.

13 Posts

December 30th, 2009 06:00

i installed it last night (right after replying here), and everything seemed to go fine.  my older crt hdtv doesnt have hdmi, and my 2nd monitor is vga, so i'll have to wait a few days until i go back to work to see if it fixed the problem.  i just uninstalled all the old ati stuff, ran the driver setup regularly and everything worked fine for me. 

i googled high and low for the right driver and CCC, but even their web site lists a windows 7 version (v10) i think.  i got it installed, but it seemed to be lacking features.  and of course it didnt work right with the 2nd display.

so like i said, it'll be a few days before i can try it out, but when i do i'll post back here with results.  hopefully it does the trick though. 

thanks again.

4 Posts

December 30th, 2009 12:00

Just a heads up. The Video driver I used is a Dell one(R227577.exe) that is listed under Video on the Studio 1555 laptop driver page. Just be sure to select Win 7 64bit on the drop down box on top of the page.This driver set also installs the CCC app.

13 Posts

January 31st, 2010 04:00

okay, i got around to hooking it up to a tv with hdmi, but the border was still there.  however, as you suggested, i had to go to the display's properties and adjust the scaling.  now it works fine. 

it appears, in my case at least, that by default the card is set to underscale by 10 or 15% (i dont remember which exactly).  another thing is that you must have the tv or monitor connected before you can change the setting.  once connected, you go to display properties > scaling.  i didnt connect it to anything else though, so i dont know if i will have to change the scaling setting for each new display, or if they are universal. 

either way, it works right again! 

so a big thank you to Uberwolf!

No Events found!