Windymiller68
1 Copper

Studio 1537 dead waking from sleep.

I've had an issue where I've lifted the lid to wake it up from sleep and the power button light came on constant and the backlit keyboard came on but nothing else. I was unable to do anything, after a while of pressing the power button the machine silently shut down.

It has been set to sleep when closing the lid and has been working fine in that setting.

Thanks for any pointers or advice in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
ghound
2 Bronze

Re: Studio 1537 dead waking from sleep.

Sadly you will find that the Studio models have power management issues. We have two of them and both have the same problem as yours. A friend bought one also and same prob!

One has been restored back to factory config by Dell tech and still a problem. You can try to change the power management scheme (go to control panel) that may help. Usually the Dell people will keep you going in circles until it is too late to return the unit. A word to the wise?

We all also had wireless connection problems. The Dell techs have been very good but they are not the problem.

0 Kudos
M.L
1 Copper

Hey I have this exact same problem!!! I emailed Dell Support about a day or two after I was convinced that there was a problem. I have included a copy of the symptoms at the bottom if you are interested - they basically told me to call tech support.

So I called tech support and the guy basically took an absolute shotgun approach to solving the problem. We tried changing settings and uninstalled/reinstalled so many drivers. What we ended up doing was downgrading the BIOS to A02. This has reduced the frequency of the problem to about half what it was - but the issue still remains. I originally tried upgrading my BIOS from factory A03 to A04 but that had no effect. I have noticed that the A04 BIOS is no longer on the Drivers and Downloads page.

I want to reformat and rebuild my system to see if I can fix it. The Dell support guy has crippled my system registry with all the driver uninstall/installs. Dell really should be addressing this issue immediately! What kind of notebook do you buy today that can't enter and resume from standby mode properly? Absolutely atrocious! They should issue a recall if the problem isn't resolved.

Such a shame because the machine is otherwise very good. I have the Studio 1537 with 2.53 GHz T9400, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, and 1440x990 LED display. I had such a flawless experience with my Inspiron 9300 over the three years I had it since 2005.

Please Dell address this issue vigorously!!!

Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Consolas; panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750091 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Plain Text Char"; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; font-family:Consolas; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.PlainTextChar {mso-style-name:"Plain Text Char"; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Plain Text"; mso-ansi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:Consolas; mso-ascii-font-family:Consolas; mso-hansi-font-family:Consolas;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Description of problem.

The computer successfully enters "sleep" mode by either selecting "sleep" through the Start Menu or by closing the lid.

The computer is "sleeping" correctly and the power light is pulsing.

When I try to wake the computer (by opening the lid), the power light is fully lit and the media buttons light up but the computer does not turn on!

That is, Windows does not resume! The computer is unresponsive to all keyboard presses or singular presses of the power button.

This happens regardless of whether the power cable is connected or not.

Also, when I attempt to "sleep" the computer by keyboard shortcut (I believe the shortcut is: Fn + F1) nothing happens. Is this the correct shortcut and if it is, why doesn't it work? The other keyboard shortcuts (brightness, keyboard backlight) are all working correctly.

Description of any troubleshooting steps you have taken.

I am able to hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until the computer switches off. Windows then offers to start in safe mode etc. I can select to start in normal mode but the problem will reoccur the next time I attempt to sleep. Note there does not seem to be any problems with a normal shutdown, restart, or hibernate.

0 Kudos
simonscowl
2 Iron

just hello and to say i also have studio1537 vista home premium and same problem, but i have others and wondered if anyone else has them?

1. the light for the eject cd/dvd comes on after power up and other media keys don't work until the system tryies to eject a dvd/cd about 3/4 times (although there is no cd/dvd in) then the light goes out and all media keys work.  this takes about 10mins.

2. almost everything i do seems to generate an error message, some flash past so quick they are unreadable, others are microsoft.net framework unhandled exception.  i am sick of the sight of them. 

i have spent numerous hours on phone to dell with some techs good some v bad and thought it was sorted yesterday with update bios and drivers.  as soon as i start using machine again error messages, sleep mode and media keys again have probs.

only 1 wk old but its my 2nd studio since sep (1st was 1535 and had its own problems) and i really just want it to work but i'm not sure if its going to.

0 Kudos
M.L
1 Copper

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you an update to say that I reformatted and rebuilt my Studio today and everything works absolutely fine. I do not seem to have the "does not wake from sleep problem" any longer. I am running the old Rev A02 BIOS.

I recommend that as a last resort I guess. I am still awaiting an updated BIOS from Dell though that unequivocaly addresses and fixes the problem. My machine is running a lot faster now without all of the Dell bloatware.

Upsetting way to start an experience with what is otherwise a very good value system. Shape up Dell!

0 Kudos
bennordlander
1 Copper

me and a few others just got these laptops and this issue is driving me atleast quite crazy. I always disable hibernation and sleep because i don't need them and it slows me down.

i am tempted to reload the OS from scratch using my own DVD of Vista to see if that helps. downgrading the BIOS doesn't sound like a good idea.

i hope someone can reply to this that has some luck fixing this issue.

0 Kudos
M.L
1 Copper

Hey guys - you might want to check out the new A05 BIOS on the drivers and downloads page. I hope it helps.

0 Kudos
vvspy
3 Argentium

Hi, my flatmate's studio 1537 had similar sleep mode issue. His BIOS is A04.

Symptom: after entering sleep mode, you can see the power light breathing, then hitting power button, we can hear the system HDD and related hardware are working/ waking up. However, the screen is keeping black with nothing.

after upgrading to A05 BIOS, now everything is working fine. Hope this would help someone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vvspy
3 Argentium

upgrading BIOS to A05, it may solve the problem. My flatmate's studio has similar sympton, and it is cured by A05 BIOS.

0 Kudos
brogene
1 Copper

I have had my studio 15 a few months. It already has BIOS A05... install date of 7/30. I just started having this same problem a couple of weeks ago. any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks 

0 Kudos