Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 10th, 2008 02:00

Studio 1537 instant power loss

I have a new (end-Oct) Studio 1537 that had an intermittent 'blue screen' fault. A Dell tech replaced the the Motherboard. But right after that it would randomly experience instant power loss (completely off) - most often during the boot up. Dell had me ran some exhaustive diagnostics via phone, after which they organized a 2nd replacement Motherboard plus memory modules. After that it ran OK for about 6 hours - I gave it a few reboots to test its stability as well. Then it suddenly experienced the instant power loss again. Now during reboot it only stays on for a couple of minutes. I've tried starting with battery-only (larger 9 cell type), AC only and both. I've tried booting to the CD/DVD drive with the Recovery disk. Every time it runs normally for a couple of minutes then has the instant power loss. I'm stymied! The thing is dead for all purposes.

One observation: after the 1st MB swap the fan seemed to run louder and longer. I think it must be a thermal power supply fault.

I realize this is ultimately in Dell's hands and I'm requesting (demanding) a replacment. But I thought I'd share the experience and see if anyone else has seen similar events.

Cheers, Nick...

1 Message

May 5th, 2009 17:00

I have the same problem with Studio 1537. Have been on phone support for 1- 2 hours on two separate occasions. Have spent 12 hours reinstalling M/S software and all the required software updates that are quewire after I was asked to re-store dell baseline image by tech support...Worked for a week or so and now started failing again with instant power loss. twice in two days so far. 

Peter

5 Posts

May 7th, 2009 15:00

My Studio 1537 shuts down constantly at random times. Mostly when I'm on the Internet but I noticed last night it kicked on out of nowhere and shut down completely. I'm lucky for it to stay on long enough to load up a site or long enough to load up what I'm looking for and have to start all over again. Tech support has had me run several longer tests and everything passes but so far nothing has solved my problem with my 3 week old laptop.

No Events found!