Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

November 30th, 2008 20:00

Studio 1537 straight out of the box has major issues re. sleep mode

It seems this is not a new complaint looking at the google results - so why on earth has Dell not done something about it?

My Studio 1537 was delivered Friday.  I have not installed anything or changed the factory defaults & it will not resume from sleep mode.  Whether put in sleep mode from closing the lid or via the Start menu, it's the same story - the keyboard lights up (although the media lights flash they do not stay on) but there's no display & it's totally non-responsive.  I have to shut down via the power button & then get an error message when I restart saying it didn't close down properly, blah, blah.

It's successfully come out of sleep *once* - but that was it.

Naturally, phoning tech support was totally hopeless.  Firstly I was told to reset the factory defaults - even though I'd just finished telling the guy it's fresh out of the box!  Then I was told to download any windows updates while I was on the phone.  When I pointed out that I hadn't connected to the internet yet & didn't have a wireless router as yet (or a cordless phone, so I couldn't go to my laptop) I was told I was "uncooperative" & that the tech guy couldn't help me further!  Oh, & that was after sitting in a queue for 40 minutes & was my third call as no one phoned me back as promised.  Effing hopeless.

The tech guy didn't mention the bios, but a friend of mine suggested I install A05 (I have A04).  Yet another friend warned me it may jeopardise my warantee if something goes awry - & I'm hesitant to change anything since I may need to resort to a refund claim.

I am so disappointed & totally appalled that this common issue hasn't been resolved & that Dell continues to churn out faulty merchandise.  I've just spent $2,500with this company & the fact that I can't even get some USEFUL phone support is SO irritating.

Does anyone else have this problem & has installing A05 resolved the issue?  I've got a good mind to lodge a complaint with the Trade Practices Commissions that Dell is selling goods that are not of merchantable quality & get a refund, but if I can fix it by updating the bios, I'll just put it down to experience & make sure to tell all my friends NEVER to buy a Dell.

133 Posts

December 13th, 2008 04:00

Go upgrading BIOS to A05, very good chances to fix the sleep issue. My flatmate's studio laptop has similar problem, and it is fixed by A05 BIOS.

download the A05 BIOS from DELL, then run it as administrator (keep it with external power adapter), wait for a while, it needs to upgrade all 31 sections in old BIOS.

Hope this would help. From my personal experience, i don't think upgrade BIOS with void your warranty.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2008 16:00

Thanks for your suggestion about updating the BIOS vvspy.  My 1537 had been having the same problem since I got it a month ago.  But I updated to A05 this afternoon & the machine has resumed from sleep every time since.  Thanks again!

133 Posts

December 15th, 2008 01:00

glad to hear everything is working fine now. :emotion-2:

No Events found!