Highlighted
cottonke
1 Copper

Studio 1555 Battery Charging .. but not really

Just a few days ago I was updating drivers (Intel Chipset driver and the IDT Audio driver) on my Studio 15 from the dell website. Around this same time (didn't notice problem right away) the batter stopped charging. The icon in the taskbar states that it is plugged in and charging, but the batter will not raise the charge percentage at all. The battery level indicator on the batter also doesn't indicate any charging has happened.

I have scoured the forums here and tried all kinds of things to fix it ... such as:

• Validated that BIOS reported power adapter was 90W
  • Installed Dell QuickSet
  • Updated BIOS
  • Removed power adapter drivers from Device Manager
  • Removed power cable and held power button for 30 seconds (reaching for straws at this point)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dell-Amit V
2 Bronze

RE: Studio 1555 Battery Charging .. but not really

Hi Cottonke,

I appreciate the troubleshooting done.

Check the Battery Health Meter, press <Fn + f3> to launch the Battery Health Monitor. Click on Battery health. Please share the status of battery Health.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
Amit V
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USAIndia. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos
cottonke
1 Copper

That dialog stated that the battery "experienced a performance failure and needs to be replaced". Prior to this I had no degraded performance of the battery ... it was an instant failure in the battery which seemed to be linked to the installation of particular drivers. Was this just a coincidence or could something I have installed either broken the battery or is not reporting health properly any more?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dell-Amit V
2 Bronze

Hi Cottonke,

The error message you have mentioned indicates issue with the Battery and may have to be replaced. It is unfortunate that the error message showed after installation of drivers. Usually this doesn’t happen.

You may use any alternate known good Battery with the system to isolate the issue.

All rechargeable batteries wear out with time and usage. As time and cumulative use increase, the performance will degrade. For the typical user, noticeable reduction in run time generally will be observed after 18 to 24 months. For a power user, reduction in run time generally may be experienced prior to 18 months. 

Please refer Battery Faq’s for more information

http://dell.to/15jXV5y 

Please reply if you have any further questions. I will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
Amit V
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USAIndia. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos