Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2011 06:00

Studio 1555 hinge problem

The plastic cover over the hinge with the power button, on my Studio 1555 notebook, has cracked, and I'm curious as to whether Dell will cover this?  I have warranty (not complete care), but wondering if it's worth the effort to contact them only to find out they won't cover it.

Thanks,

11 Posts

March 14th, 2011 09:00

I gave Dell a call, and they offered to replace it under warranty.  I'm very happy with how this was resolved.  Thanks Dell.

147 Posts

February 28th, 2011 08:00

Friday, September 24, 2010

Dear Sirs:

I have been a Dell customer and used Dell computers for about 25 years.  I have a Dell desktop and 2 Dell laptop PCs plus an older Dell Latitude C540.  One of the laptops is an Inspiron 1525 that I have had absolutely no problems with.  The upgrade from VISTA to WIN 7 was quick and no trouble at all.  I use this laptop daily and have for several years.  The newest Dell is a Studio 1555 laptop that has had a lot of problems and in fact if I could trade it for another Inspiron I would do so gladly.  These are the problems that I have/had with the 1555:

1.    Defective keyboard which I replaced.

2.    The display screen has become permanently marked in the middle of the screen by coming into contact with the keyboard when in the closed position because the rubber bumpers/stoppers that are mounted into each side of the plastic bezel have fallen off and/or deteriorated where they do not hold the screen off the keyboard.  This problem was called into Dell while the 1555 was still in warranty.  The plastic display screen seems to me to be flimsy and flexes too easily.

3.    The plastic left side hinge has cracked and the plastic cap has come loose where I have had to use electrical tape to “bandage” hold it together.

4.    The AC power adapter cable has broken at the blue LED that indicates that power is being supplied via the AC adapter.  Again I had to use electrical tape to “bandage” this problem, Dell is in the process of shipping a new AC adapter however the Dell supported hardware forum has several posts where folks have this same problem.  Reference this site:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19276957.aspx

The problems with this Studio 1555 are NOT the quality that I have been accustomed to with Dell over the years BUT I can assure you that I will look long and hard before selecting another Dell product.

3.8K Posts

March 1st, 2011 05:00

Hi Dirtdiver,

Welcome to the Community. A crack on the hinge cover is normally caused by accidental damage. So you will need to have a complete care to have this covered. Refer to the below link on more information on Accidental Damage Services.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/services/Accidental_Damage_Services_Contract_6_21_10.pdf

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

March 1st, 2011 06:00

Hi Royan

I'm having the same problem with my laptop and I have to disagree with you because I saw the cover crack as I opened the laptop. It hasn't been dropped or bumped. The irony about stuff like this is that the waranty has expired two weeks ago.  But the good news is that I contacted DELL and they have offered to replace the cover, in spite of the waranty that has lapsed. So It might be worth it to phone.

Thanx

11 Posts

March 1st, 2011 10:00

I'm sorry to see it's classified as such, but not surprised.  The notebook is used a lot, but doesn't get moved around very much.  The hinge cracked plain and simple from regular usage.  Well, I guess I'm on the hook for something that's 1.5 yrs old.  Can't say I'm happy about it.

Thanks anyway.

147 Posts

March 15th, 2011 10:00

Royan

I believe that you are wrong about the problem with the plastic hinge on the Studio 1555 laptops.  There are too many folks that have this broken hinge and I do NOT have to pay extra to have a quality product.  Dell has a problem with this plastic hinge and they should address it with some kind of fix, period.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Dear Sirs:

I have been a Dell customer and used Dell computers for about 25 years.  I have a Dell desktop and 2 Dell laptop PCs plus an older Dell Latitude C540.  One of the laptops is an Inspiron 1525 that I have had absolutely no problems with.  The upgrade from VISTA to WIN 7 was quick and no trouble at all.  I use this laptop daily and have for several years.  The newest Dell is a Studio 1555 laptop that has had a lot of problems and in fact if I could trade it for another Inspiron I would do so gladly.  These are the problems that I have/had with the 1555:

1.    Defective keyboard which I replaced.

2.    The display screen has become permanently marked in the middle of the screen by coming into contact with the keyboard when in the closed position because the rubber bumpers/stoppers that are mounted into each side of the plastic bezel have fallen off and/or deteriorated where they do not hold the screen off the keyboard.  This problem was called into Dell while the 1555 was still in warranty.  The plastic display screen seems to me to be flimsy and flexes too easily.

3.    The plastic left side hinge has cracked and the plastic cap has come loose where I have had to use electrical tape to “bandage” hold it together.

4.    The AC power adapter cable has broken at the blue LED that indicates that power is being supplied via the AC adapter.  Again I had to use electrical tape to “bandage” this problem, Dell is in the process of shipping a new AC adapter however the Dell supported hardware forum has several posts where folks have this same problem.  Reference this site:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19276957.aspx

The problems with this Studio 1555 are NOT the quality that I have been accustomed to with Dell over the years BUT I can assure you that I will look long and hard before selecting another Dell product. 

Sent to Dell BOD with no response! 

1 Message

April 23rd, 2011 03:00

Mate mine cracked the right hand hinge, put some tape on it, then it just broke off, then front part of the screen broke off, then the wires to the power button broke off, love this laptop but really the hinges are a joke, this one was only 1 1/2 years old........... Brought a new laptop today a Inspiron 5110...... Studio is way better.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2011 12:00

Well I have two notebooks (Studio 1555 and Studio 1558) both just past the warranty and both presenting with the same problem - the plastic cover cracked around the hinge and one doesn't close.

After spending 40 minutes on the phone with several individuals in India all they offered was a $40 discount on the repair so it comes out to $120 plus tax for each one, not to mention the 6 - 10 days it will take to repair.

Seems like, after 15 years and over 10 systems purchased,  I won't purchase any Dell products anymore as they are manufacturing substandard products and they are not standing behind their systems unless you purchase additional warranty despite the incredible number of consumers online complaining about the same issue.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2011 13:00

I echo Casademont's thoughts.  With 4 Dells currently in the house (including another laptop just purchased this summer) and many years of loyal Dell purchases, I spent over an hour on the phone being bounced between technical support and customer service regarding a 2 year old Studio 1555 that is costing me $240 at the local computer shop to repair the broken cover/hinge/bezel.  The cover/bezel pulled away from the power button, causing the wires to break, and I was told it was "normal wear and tear" but if I had purchased an extended warranty they could look into it.  I had brought it to the local computer shop as I knew it was outside of warranty and I was not looking to play games or get something I wasn't entitled to, but when the shop called to tell me they to order not only the cover but also the front bezel because the 1555's or other laptops designed with the same original cover/bezel parts had this problem, and the cover/bezel had been redesigned to basically screw together in a much more sturdy fashion whereas the old parts snapped together and had problems pulling away.  The second supervisor on my last call to technical support told me that it was likely the computer shop was simply trying to cover their mistake for ordering the wrong parts that is now costing me more money, and that there never had been a change in the design of the cover and bezel for the 1555, but it is the same as when it was manufactured.  The computer shop is saving the old broken parts for me, and ordered Dell replacement parts, but I suspect between the multiple shuffling back and forth betweeo technical support (who initially told me there was nothing they could do and I needed to talk to customer service, who then told me the same thing and sent me back to techincal support suggesting I ask to talk to a supervisor, who then after offering to hook me up with the parts department to possibly do a discounted part order -- which I explained doesn't help as we learned of the problem after ordering the parts through the local computer shop -- then changed the response to it must be the third party computer shop trying to cover their mistake, and indicating they could not offer any concession.  I insisted I was not looking for a full reimbursement and understood that i did not go through their service (as I need to make sure this is repaired before school starts for my son), but I could not believe there was not someone somewhere in technical support or customer service who could not make some kind of goodwill gesture -- even a credit in the store or accessory shop or something??? -- so as not to lose the total faith and loyalty of this long-time customer???  Nada other than giving me the service call number if I wanted to call back again (why, because it was so productive the first two times I called with the helpful customer suppor interaction in between?).  So disappointing that with thousands of dollars of Dell computers currently in the house, and a history of years of prior purchases both directly and through entities like Best Buy, that they couldn't figure out a way to respond to my unhappiness at paying a $240 repair bill for something that shouldn't have broken and was poorly designed.  I certainly will share this interaction with others who ask about laptop and desktop recommendations.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2011 14:00

Thanks dallascowboys -- i did buy an extended warranty on the laptop we bought this summer because  we had a couple things happen on the 1555 that gave me concern, but I decided to write it off to a poor purchase.  My philosophy is to almost never buy extended warranties because they empirically are money-making machines for the retailers/manufacturers and seldom pay off for the consumer (in my case, perhaps I would have come out slightly ahead with this repair).  However, if I have to buy an extended warranty to cover items that should not occur with a good quality product, jacking up the price another $100 or more on a routine basis, that means it is time to look at a different brand/manufacturer.  For me, when the response was not consistent, and I was shuffled between technical and customer service, telling the same story, and then told the computer shop is trying to cover their mistake, I was completely turned off by the lack of professionalism and customer service, on top of already being irritated by a poorly constructed cover/hinge piece.  

2.4K Posts

August 26th, 2011 14:00

mnlaptop I would suggest you purchase the extended warranty in the future to protect your investment. I have purchased 3 laptops in the past six years from Dell. I did not purchase warranties on the 1st two since they were for me however I have had to do minor repairs on them ie. network card, keyboard, and palmrest. So when I purchased my third it was for my daughter so I extended the warranty 2 more years after the 1st year to insure my daughter has a working computer while she is in high school. Laptops have more chances of having issues since they are portable so I think and extended warranty is good investment. I am sorry for your troubles for I too am a loyal Dell customer and have enjoyed my Dell computers and will continue to buy them. I do hope you stick with Dell for I hate to see posts that say different. And no I do not work for Dell, I am just a fan.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 26th, 2011 17:00

That may be true, but Dell didn't build the notebook any more than any other nameplate does.  Over 70% of all notebooks are made by just two contractors - the lion's share of the other 30% are made by just three more.

So, the next one may have "Apple" or "Toshiba" on the outside, but be the exact same inside - just as surely as if you were to purchase a Buick to replace a lemon Chevy.  Same manufacturer, different nameplates.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2011 17:00

Thank you for replying to my post and it is truly unfortunate that Dell will not step up to the plate and fix this obvious manufacturer defect.  I am taking my kids laptop to a computer repair store and can guarantee you now that I WILL NO LONGER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM DELL.

4 Posts

August 27th, 2011 05:00

WOW ejn63 that is a lame response.  I do not care who built the laptop, the name on the outside is what matters.  Dell represents it is their product and they should respond to any defects/problems with the units, and they didn't.  Customer service is what carries the brand and DELL FAILED.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 27th, 2011 05:00

If you expect another system - or its manufacturer response to out of warranty repairs - to be any different, you'll be equally displeased with your next system.

The facts are that all notebooks are made by the same manufacturers using similar parts - and once the warranty ends, repairs are at your expense.  They all break - and they break in percentages larger than for just about any other consumer product.

No Events found!