dallascowboyswo
4 Germanium

Re: Studio 1555 hinge problem

Jump to solution

mnlaptop I would suggest you purchase the extended warranty in the future to protect your investment. I have purchased 3 laptops in the past six years from Dell. I did not purchase warranties on the 1st two since they were for me however I have had to do minor repairs on them ie. network card, keyboard, and palmrest. So when I purchased my third it was for my daughter so I extended the warranty 2 more years after the 1st year to insure my daughter has a working computer while she is in high school. Laptops have more chances of having issues since they are portable so I think and extended warranty is good investment. I am sorry for your troubles for I too am a loyal Dell customer and have enjoyed my Dell computers and will continue to buy them. I do hope you stick with Dell for I hate to see posts that say different. And no I do not work for Dell, I am just a fan.

Sam

Own: Dell Chromebook 11, Alienware M11xR2

Forum Member since 2004

"If your issue was resolved, please click  Yes ".

#idoNOTwork4Dell

0 Kudos
mnlaptop
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks dallascowboys -- i did buy an extended warranty on the laptop we bought this summer because  we had a couple things happen on the 1555 that gave me concern, but I decided to write it off to a poor purchase.  My philosophy is to almost never buy extended warranties because they empirically are money-making machines for the retailers/manufacturers and seldom pay off for the consumer (in my case, perhaps I would have come out slightly ahead with this repair).  However, if I have to buy an extended warranty to cover items that should not occur with a good quality product, jacking up the price another $100 or more on a routine basis, that means it is time to look at a different brand/manufacturer.  For me, when the response was not consistent, and I was shuffled between technical and customer service, telling the same story, and then told the computer shop is trying to cover their mistake, I was completely turned off by the lack of professionalism and customer service, on top of already being irritated by a poorly constructed cover/hinge piece.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
casademont
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying to my post and it is truly unfortunate that Dell will not step up to the plate and fix this obvious manufacturer defect.  I am taking my kids laptop to a computer repair store and can guarantee you now that I WILL NO LONGER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM DELL.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

That may be true, but Dell didn't build the notebook any more than any other nameplate does.  Over 70% of all notebooks are made by just two contractors - the lion's share of the other 30% are made by just three more.

So, the next one may have "Apple" or "Toshiba" on the outside, but be the exact same inside - just as surely as if you were to purchase a Buick to replace a lemon Chevy.  Same manufacturer, different nameplates.

0 Kudos
casademont
1 Copper

Jump to solution

WOW ejn63 that is a lame response.  I do not care who built the laptop, the name on the outside is what matters.  Dell represents it is their product and they should respond to any defects/problems with the units, and they didn't.  Customer service is what carries the brand and DELL FAILED.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

If you expect another system - or its manufacturer response to out of warranty repairs - to be any different, you'll be equally displeased with your next system.

The facts are that all notebooks are made by the same manufacturers using similar parts - and once the warranty ends, repairs are at your expense.  They all break - and they break in percentages larger than for just about any other consumer product.

0 Kudos
mnlaptop
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I understand ejn63, and do not expect a problem-free product for the years of use we want out of it -- which is why I did not bother contacting Dell when the hinge/cover originally broke, and instead without complaint brought it to the local computer repair shop I use (as I have for other problems), since the notebook was out of warranty.  For me, the tipping point was the run-around and attitude from technical support and customer service after the computer shop told me this problem was one this type of notebook has had and the design of the cover and bezel had changed.  Customer service can and does vary from company to company -- whether any other computer company will be different remains to be seen.  I have been a Dell user for so long that I have not had the experience of other computer mfr's, but I have noticed a decrease in Dell's customer service over the years, so this encounter was simply another reminder it is probably time to given someone else a try.  Like others have said, computers have become increasingly commodity-like and quality is not going to vary much from brand to brand within a certain grouping of them, so things like service (I can deal with the response "there's nothing we can do" if I don't get the runaround and suggested to talk to someone else, which leads a person to believe something can be done -- even if the message is the same, how it is delivered can make a large difference).  Fortunately, there are some companies out there that do still believe in customer service, and I would like to see next time if I can find out whether any of the other computer mfr's can improve on Dell's.  

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Sorry, but all the other manufacturers of low-end budget systems (Acer, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, ASUS, etc.) will treat the situation exactly the same.

Yes, Apple is different - and Dell is  with Latitudes, Lenovo with Thinkpads and HP with its business models.  That's not what you bought - what you bought is a low-end budget system.  You'll find the situation no different with the others.

Every system that sells for under $1,000 will have compromises somewhere.  If you're not comfortable with that, buy a higher-end, better-designed system next time - or buy a 3-year warranty (which is good advice for any notebook, since there's a chance of somewhere between 25-30+ percent, you'll need it -- with ANY of them.

0 Kudos
briannamercer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have a Studio 1555 that has a hinge problem. It cracked a few months ago and the past few weeks it is getting unmanageable. I have to position it at a certain angle to use it and it is horrible. I also noticed someone posted about their powercord being taped together, I had to do that before my first year was up(bought aug.09, tape was probably on my march/april)...Will have to try and get Dell to fix this for me! Has anyone from Canada dealt with them before? I am wondering how long I will be without a computer!

0 Kudos
Jeff1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I'm in New Brunswick and I sent mine out to have them fix the hinge problem (under warranty).  It was about three days turnaround time to have it fixed and returned.

0 Kudos