Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2011 15:00

Studio 1555 not turning on

Hello,

I'm trying to fix my mom's Studio 1555 laptop and now it wont turn on.

So here's the list of events that occurred:

My mom reports that her Internet Explorer is not working. She is getting a Data Execution Prevention message. I check it and the reasons it gives for the error is that maybe a new program is preventing IE from running properly. I asked her what programs she installed recently and deleted a program she downloaded called "IMesh". Also at this time I noticed that she had two antivirus programs installed, Avast and McAffee. I've had issues in the past with two anti-virus programs, so I deleted the one I knew shouldn't have been there, McAffee.

Then I ran a thorough virus scan using Avast and it picked up four registries of the same virus in different places "Win32:adware-gen". I moved those to the virus chest, then ran a boot-scan. The boot scan picked up an additional 9 viruses, most of which looked Java related, but I didn't catch any specific names. There was also a zip file that was listed as corrupted, but I'm not sure if that is relevant.

So the computer boots up, I tried IE again but found it was still not working. Some software updates popped up, and I expect she had been ignoring the updates. So I accepted a Windows update and a Java update. Those finish, and I restarted the computer.

Only it won't turn back on. At all.

I've tried everything listed in  this tutorial with no luck.

The warentee is expired and she bought it at best buy. The last time she tried to take it in to get fixed (the DVD drive has been busted since she got it) they refused to fix it.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this issue?

Thanks,

~Kia

June 6th, 2011 07:00

Help? I am still having this issue.

Since I last posted I have replaced the battery in hopes that it was a simple power issue, however the battery does not seem to be helping. The tiny light above where the AC adapter plugs in is blinking white and amber now, but that is the only change. I have looked up in the help topics what this could mean but have found nothing that helps.

No Events found!