Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2012 19:00

Studio 1555 reapplying heat sink

Does the Studio 1555 use thermal paste or a thermal pad to attach the heat sink to to the cpu/ chipset/ gpu?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 4th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

The answer is yes, you need to apply or put thermal pad/grease when installing processor/cpu in your computer.

Please check this link for the manual ; http://dell.to/I1J5AE

Regards,

15 Posts

April 5th, 2012 00:00

Does the gpu and the north/south bridge require thermal paste as well?

15 Posts

April 5th, 2012 00:00

Also, I was thinking about replacing the motherboard and heat sink of my studio 1555 to get the ati 4570M gpu.  Would it be as simple as replacing those two components? Or is there more to it?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Before replacing Motherboard and heatsink, make sure that it will fit and will be compatible for your computer. You can get more details when you buy the board to our Sales Team. Just a heads up, replacing a board requires a certified technician to to that. Since it is a major part and it requires removing multiple parts in your computer. See this manual for your reference ; http://dell.to/HuNBaa

If you have not done anything about replacing a motherboard, I recommend not to do it. Steps are complicated and like I mentioned, it requires an experienced and certified technician to do it.

Regards,

15 Posts

April 5th, 2012 18:00

Hey hey,

I talked to dell.  The guy at first sounded unsure, so I asked him where I could find this information out.  Then he changed his stance and said it was impossible to upgrade the graphics card because the graphics controller is incompatible.    

If it is simply a software issue, then I don't see why it's impossible.  At worst I would have to reinstall the OS such that I could install the correct graphics card driver.  Most graphics card at least have some functionality until you install the correct drivers.  Do you know another place where I could check to see if the the different motherboard/heat sink will fit into the same bezzel?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 7th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

You can try to call our OWR (out of warranty) team, they have spare parts and sales for your system. It is 1-800-2884410.

Regards,

1 Message

March 28th, 2016 18:00

Hi Elijah,

Let me start off by saying I am new here to this Dell Community.

I'm having an issue with my Dell Studio 1555 and I'm currently experiencing an issue with the laptop

overheating  & touch pad area gets very hot as well as a lot of hot air comes out of the laptop vent

located on the rear in upper left corner where the cpu chip and heatsink are located.

This post is referencing a previous post from 4 years ago. Where on 4 Apr 2012 10:30 PM you replied

to a post by Hormel regarding "Studio 1555 reapplying heat sink". In your reply you indicated that

yes, you need to apply or put thermal pad/grease  when installing processor/cpu in your computer and

then made reference to a link to a manual at http://dell.to/I1J5AE.

Well after following that link, it does not mention anything about the proceedure in the manual or

any other subsequent links on that page. Nor is it even for the Studio 1555.

Now the issue I'm experiencing is that my Studio 1555 turns off constantly while in the middle of

doing anything. I have run the diagnostics on each hardware component with the exception of the

memory because the system shuts down in the middle of the test, but everything else passes. So, I'm

thinking that it is the heatsink or possibly some memory, which rarely goes bad.(Do you think?) And

if it is the heatsink my question is this.....

1- Would I need to replace the heatsink and fan assembly?

2- Is there any documentation on doing this proceedure of using the thermal pad and if it needs to

be adhered with an adhesive to the underside of the heatsink between the cpu or just applying the

thermal grease itself without a pad between the heatsink and cpu chip on/for the Studio 1555?

3- Is there a specific type or grade of thermal pad &/or grease or adhesive that needs to be used on

the heatsink assembly between the cpu chip and heatsink? If so, please advise me in what & where I

can secure and purchase these items. As I have not found any available new or used heatsink parts

etc on Dell.com. But I did find some used heatsink and fan assemblys on ebay. Do you know if there

are any new ones out there?

Please respond to me via email <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>. Since I may not be able to get back to the

forum community because this is the only machine I presently have and the constant system shutting

down on me a a moments notice.

Thanks for your assistance.

No Events found!