Highlighted
21Umer78
1 Copper

Studio 1555 wont start

Hi All

Wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. When I switch on my lptop, it starts immediately with white screen and then the dell logo loads. but before the system can load OS, computer hangs and a continous beep sound starts. the beep sound is continous (means with very small intervals between sucessive beeps) and is only of one type (i do not know what code is for this beep). the beep sound does not stop until the power button is pressed again and the computer shuts itself down.
previously, my laptop was not starting at all, neither on battery nor on direct AC. The battery was not even accepting the input current probably because the light that indicates charging did not switch on after charger was connected to computer. today i removed battery for sometime and placed it again and tried to switch computer on after which i started to face the problem i discussed first (white screen and beep)

so my first question: what is the problem? secondly, can i resolve it myself? thirdly, should i be worried about my hard disk as all my phd research data is there and the lazy i am, i didnt backup my data... 

Please help me if somebody can

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robin3
3 Argentium

Re: Studio 1555 wont start

Boot to F12 and choose Diagnostics. post back with results.

Robin

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Before you do that, remove the hard drive, mount it in an external shell (example below) and attach it to a working system.  Back up your data to the working system's hard drive.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

0 Kudos
Dell-Rajesh R
4 Ruthenium

Hi 21Umer78,

Check if the computer boots into Safemode with networking. Restar the the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo and select Safemode with Networking.

Refer the following link which has steps to resolve/isolate the issue:

http://dell.to/16YSfQb

If you get to hear 2 beeps in a regular Interval, it indicates No RAM Detected. You may try reseating memory modules on the computer and check.

If its not 2 beeps, May I know the sequence of beeps in an interval. 

Refer the following link which has steps to reseat the memory modules on the computer:

http://bit.ly/UzISBD

Note: Reseat the Memory if you are comfortable in doing so.

** NOTE: Please ensure that the power cable of the computer is disconnected before opening the chassis. Refer to the Service Manual for assistance on removing or replacing the internal components of the computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
21Umer78
1 Copper

Unfortunately the laptop has gone back to its original problem. It is not starting at all, as if it is completely dead

0 Kudos
Robin3
3 Argentium

One beep indicates a BIOS Checksum failure. If a BIOS re-flash doesn't sort it then it requires a new mainboard

Robin

0 Kudos