PUPJOINT
2 Iron

Studio 1558 Shutting down- Your sytem details please.

There are several threads running on this recent issue of Studio 1558's shutting down.

I thought it would be a good idea if we can collect all the specs' in one place to see if a pattern emerges.

Also I have not seen this issue mentioned in the 'Customer Reviews' on the Dell Studio 15 web site, does this mean no one has bothered or that Dell is blocking them.

The only way to get Dells attention is too hit them where it hurts and that is Sales.

Relevant information.......

When received.

How much use before it shuts down.

Manufacturing facility.

Win7 version

CPU details, (not just i3 0r i5)

RAM details, (size and speed)

Graphics card

WiFi card

Anything else relevant I have omitted.

0 Kudos
62 Replies
PUPJOINT
2 Iron

Re: Studio 1558 Shutting down- Your sytem details please.

BUMP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PRboy
1 Copper

When received.  February 24th, 2010

How much use before it shuts down.  About 5 minutes after finishing Win 7 Setup, right on first use.

Manufacturing facility. I don't have it with me right now...

Win7 version Home Premium (also Ultimate)

CPU details, (not just i3 0r i5)   i5-520M 2.40 GHz turbo to 2.93 GHz

RAM details, (size and speed) 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz

Graphics card Intel Integrated GMA HD

WiFi card Dell 1397 Half Mini Card

0 Kudos
tpander
1 Copper

Received the unit February 16th 2010.

Use can vary from light surfing for 10 minutes to 4 minutes of watching video.

Manufacturing facility (don't have this information)

Windows 7 Home Premium

Core i3 330M @2.13GHz  3MB cache and 1066MHz FSB

RAM 4GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz

Integrated Intel HD Graphics

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini Card

PROBLEM FOUND:  Fan does NOT turn on during first boot up.  It runs until it overheats (depends on processor usage).  After it overheats, the fan turns on upon restart and runs flawlessly.  I found the temp issue when I downloaded SpeedFan to monitor the temperature! It was 85C before it shut down!! 😮  This is an everyday thing... the only way I can get it to fix itself is to run the computer to about 60C.. turn it off... REMOVE BATTERY OR POWER CABLE... then turn on the computer.. THEN the fan kicks on FULL blast until it cools to about 30C.  No other way to get the fan to kick in..  This has been repaired twice and I'm finally getting shipped a new system.  Good luck to all on this!  Yes this is Dell's fault, but they have helped me sooo much, and this really is a great machine.  So far, they have helped me a lot and I still would buy another computer from them.

0 Kudos
McNutty
2 Bronze

My specs are identical, and I have also found it to be a heat issue due to the fan not engaging. I'm not sure if a sensor gets stuck or if Dell just has horrible BIOS tables for the fan. One thing to note though is that in Windows 7, there is an option under the power profile for passive cooling when on battery. Unfortunately, even forcing it to active does not prevent the laptop from overheating and shutting down.

What I did to test was to download OCCT and let it run. Once the machine hits 90 degrees Celcius for a few seconds, it just shuts off completely. The fan will re-engage when you power it back on, but put the laptop to sleep once, and it will never re-engage until you do a full power off.

0 Kudos
iRojogrande
1 Copper

When received: Shipped 1/29/2010

How much use before it shuts down: varies, at first it was quick, then longer wait until shutdown, finally had 9 days without shutdown.

Manufacturing facility: Made in China

Win7 version: Home Premium, 6.1.7600 build 7600

CPU details, (not just i3 0r i5): i3 M 330 @ 2.13 GHz, 2133 MHz, 2 Core(s), 4 logic processors

RAM details, (size and speed): 4 GB memory,

Graphics card: Intel Graphic Media Accelerator HD 1.68 GB

WiFi card: Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN mini-card

Anything else relevant I have omitted:  there are software packages (for example, network magic, that come with N-router) that are not compatible with Windows 7 and will stop working.  this might create problems that later lead to shutdown.

0 Kudos
iRojogrande
1 Copper

Dell has contacted me and offered to exchange my laptop for one of "similar or better configuration".

Based on comments about staying away from Studio 15 either i3 or i5, I'm requesting upgrade to Studio 17 and i5.

Waiting to hear back.

iRojogrande

0 Kudos
jescott418
2 Bronze

I just sent my Studio 1558 back. I am not going to wait for Dell to fix this issue. Mine shut down twice within a hour. Could not even get through installing software I wanted on it. You would think Dell would just put a hold on shipping these computers if their is a issue which I know now their is. I got a kernel panic in the event log each time it shut down. Even technical services could not help me and indicated Dell was aware of the issue but as yet no fix! Sorry Dell I am a long standing customer but you have just lost one of probably many if you keep shipping broken new laptops!!

0 Kudos
jocelynl
1 Copper

What's with that?!? I didn't see anything about staying away from dell 15 studio...I must have been on the wrong websites --- if this issue isn't resolved I'm just gonna go to apple as my sister and her boyfriend suggested in the first place....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Fourank
1 Copper

When received.  March 4th ordered Feb 12

How much use before it shuts down. Shutdown during intial setup...then after 5 minutes. Tech support changed the power settings which were very low. Usually it has been plugged in when it shuts down. Yesterday it was on for an hour when it just shut off...

Manufacturing facility. China

Win7 version Home Premium

CPU details, (not just i3 0r i5) i3-350M 2.26Ghz (3M cache)

RAM details, (size and speed) 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066 MHz

Graphics card Intel GMA

WiFi card None

320 GB HD, Backlit Keyboard, Soundblaster Software for Sound, 85 watt battery, 720i screen.

It is unfortunate because I really like this series notebook and have shopped for months before I found a system without a shiny black exterior. Don't really want a 17" notebook or XPS or Alienware. I have heard that the Lattiudes have their own issues.

Does anyone think that the i7 has any lesser issues? I was thinking that since Dell said that they would upgrade my system for free, maybe I should opt for the i7...any thoughts from anyone please!

0 Kudos