Highlighted
gdprun
1 Copper

Re: Studio 1558 Shutting down- Your sytem details please.

All,

As described in another thread, you can check your relibility of your Dell and see the shut downs by date and time. 

Go to the Windows Ball (Start) in the lower left corner.  Type 'reliability" in the box and hit return.  This will take you to the Control Panel- All Control Panel Items- Action Center- Relibility Monitor.  There you can see a relibility chart for your computer.  It documents the shut downs, updates to Windows and other issues/ updates.  This is a good way for you track the number of fan/ random shutdowns you are having.  Good luck- Glenn

Dell, are you listening? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
buzzout
1 Copper

Todd, I am working from my old Dell laptop because my brand new 1558 keeps shutting down every 30 minutes.   So do you recommend I await this BIOS A04 on Monday or do I send it back and never purchase Dell's again?   Time for a Mac?   Will my new accessories like the Dell printer work on a Mac... I guess not.  So the package of materials I purchased are all worthless?   Man am do I feel stupid.

Extremely disappointed and sad emoticon.Ick.title

0 Kudos
mrqmarie
1 Copper

Bought computer in Feb 2010.  It shutdown during the intial startup.  Called Dell twice.  1st time the told me to change a bios setting to not turn computer off if get a system error, 2nd time they had me pull the battery.  Since then the system has shutdown 3 times, twice when idle, once when it was not.

Operating System: Windows 7 home premium

BIOS Version A03 BIOS Date 01-08-10

Intel Core i3-350M 2.26GHz

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

I hear the fan coming on so not sure if this is my problem.  Last time I called tech support they said that they have one more option for me to try.  Hopefully whatever it is will work, because I am tired of spending my time on the phone with them

0 Kudos
gregftl
2 Iron

I have the BIOS update if anyone wants me to send it to them. Got the file via live online support chat.

Greg

0 Kudos
goodchai
1 Copper

I had similar problem, got it exchanged for new system. New system shut down 2 times on first day since then have been working fine( for 2 days). The new bios A4 is available on dell website , just installed it anyways. Hoping that this fixes the problem. Anybody else has installed the new bios, A4? Did it resolve the problem? I guess some of you are having this problem more often. Please let every body else know your experiance with this new bios.

M.

0 Kudos
McNutty
2 Bronze

Just updated to A04 that I got from Live Chat. The problem has been resolved, but the fan is much louder now. I think they went a little over-aggressive with the fan which actually makes me happy. I'd much rather them shoot high, then back it off in future BIOS updates as they get a chance to work things out.

0 Kudos

Bios A04 is now available for direct download.    Let us know how well it works after you've had a chance to try it.

0 Kudos
iRojogrande
1 Copper

Updateby irojogrande

for first 24 days I had 11 shutdowns.  the recent 14 days I have had no shutdowns using A03 BIOS.

Maybe this thing will work after all. Will update to A04 BIOS today.

0 Kudos
goodchai
1 Copper

I am very suspicious about this issue and the resolution. If dell knew about this heating isssue why were they shipping a faulty product. And also why were they(customer support) offering solutions like changeing the fan for me and motherboard for some others. If heating was the real issue why were they not accepting it and continue to waist our time in replacing the system. I must have waisted days installing  stuff and then uninstalling. Also hours of real work, code and simulation waisted because of this.

Are you guys sure that heating was the problem.They must have shipped thousands of system and i dont believe all of them had same shutting down problem. I suspect this is manufacturing problem, using parts with poor yeild and dell using faulty/bad quality parts.

OR It could be processor. Due to process variation not all the chips are same. May be we got the chip which heats up more than the majority of the chips and the bios was written and calibrated for 90% of the chips.

OR It is some hardware problem and dell is masking this problem with this new bios.

I have seen startups shipping product even when it is not ready and full of software bugs and hardware problems. They have this thinking that we will patch it with firmware. Well some things are not patchable. I hope this one is whatever may be the problem.

I did not expect this from dell, it seems apple is pretty good in this regard, dont have any experiance with HP/other computer company.

0 Kudos
gregftl
2 Iron

Well it's working for me. I've had my computer on for 22 continuous hours since I did the A04 update with no issues...no shutdown. 

Greg

0 Kudos