mrqmarie
1 Copper

Re: Studio 1558 Shutting down- Your sytem details please.

Little nervous about doing this myself.. should I call tech support to help me?  New Studio 1558 just bought 1 month ago..

1.  should I make recovery disks first?

2.  do not understand the instructions for the BIOS upgrade....  not sure which option to follow, and I don't have a floppy drive????

The Floppy Format is recommended for most users. Floppy format creates a bootable self-extracting disk.

• The Non-packaged Format is intended for advanced users that only require the bootable disk.
  •  

0 Kudos
    iRojogrande
    1 Copper

Call tech support.  They will walk you through it on the phone, it only takes about 10 minutes and you can talk to them about the weather in India and what time it is.

I was able to update to A04 myself after updating to A03 with tech support help.

cal them.

0 Kudos
    gregftl
    2 Iron

All u have to do is download the file.....and click onto and install it. U dont have to worry about ur computer shutting down during the process either b/c the bios update automatically kicks the fans on to prevent overheating

0 Kudos
    ewerdna5002
    1 Copper

Mine was shutting down every time I started it up (when it was a cold start) and I never heard or felt the fan going. Each time after the shutdown I could start it up and then the fan would actually work and the computer would act normal.  

I  downloaded and installed the AO4 update and it has not shutdown yet. The fan actually works with each startup. It doesn't have to overheat and then when I restart it realize the fan needs to run.

I sure hope this isn't a temporary fix or one that covers up some other issue.

0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    flauer
    1 Copper

Dell Support installed BIOS A04 for me.  Now, so far it does not over-heat and shut down.  However, there is still a problem:  even when the computer is just sitting there idle (all programs closed), and the CPU usage is only 1-2%, every minute or so the fan rotates at high speed for about 10 seconds, and then returns back to the low speed.  This is quite annoying!!  It does this when the temperature (as reported by Real Temp) is about 40-45 degrees Celsius.

It seems like the temperature-fan control is too sensitive.  They should only turn the fan on at the high speed when the CPU usage is higher and the temperature is higher.  Or, the CPU idle temperature is too high due to poor heat dissipation.  This problem existed before the BIOS A04 update too, and it seems like it still hasn't been fixed.  Anyone have the same problem?  Is there going to be another BIOS update soon? 

0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Now that the BIOS has been out for a while I'd like to get some feedback from our engineers whether it has resolved the problem with the 1558 systems shutting down?  There hasn't been much traffic to this thread over the past 24 hours or so and I wanted to check in and find out how its working for everyone.

0 Kudos
    cb_1558
    1 Copper

I updated to A04 just over 24 hours ago and no shutdown issues yet. I haven't experienced odd fan behavior as mentioned in previous threads either. I am cautiously optimistic, but will monitor and provide more feedback after several days to confirm.

0 Kudos
    gdprun
    1 Copper

Todd S,

I have update to bios A04 on Monday (3/15)  morning around 11:00AM CST.  The download was via my Download folder and unzipped and installed by Run as Admin.

I did restart the 1558 and began to run it for the next 12+ hours.  To try to exercise the 1558/A04, I opened mail and three IE to run sports video of the Fox March Madness.  The 1558 lasted through the afternoon at this rate  without any shutdowns.  My 1558/ A04 has a problem/ issue with the 1520 half mini card and the Dell Wireless WLAN Utility not running at speed 54mps.

As a control I ran my "exchange 1558" with the A03 bios, running similar test- 3 IE running sport videos, whcih also ran without any shutdowns.  The 1558/ A03 was next to the 1558/A04 in order to see the differences in the wirless.  Definitely the monitors and/or the wireless card is not working properly .

Both computes lasted all day.  I have not noticed loud fan noises but have heard it come on during idle periods.  I do feel a slight vibration of the fan through the 1558/A04 but similiar to the 1558/A03.    My Relibility Monitor indicates one shutdown every couple of days.  With an intermittent failure, it will take some usage to see if the 1558/A04 is reliable. 

Opps, the 1558/A03 just shutdown, which I just turned on!!!

Thanks-Glenn

Tags (1)
    0 Kudos
    mrqmarie
    1 Copper

Glenn,

I have the half mini card also and thinking about upgrading to the A04 bios...  are you sure that you are having a problem with the wireless and it is not your monitor... I don't want to upgrade and have a problem myself.

Is anyone else having a problem with the new A04 bios and there wireless?

0 Kudos
    goodchai
    1 Copper

Guys I got a call from Dell asking me  if my new computer was fine. I told him about the crashing problem. He told me to update the bios to A04 which i had already did.

And he mentioned to me that there is a problem with the 1558 system: conflict with some video processor/card and A04 fixes it.

Well this is the first time I heard about it, was only aware of heating issue.

I dont konw what to believe any more.

Whatever it is, as long as it solve the problem of complte shutting off without any warning, i dont care.

0 Kudos