Highlighted
pixdad63
1 Copper

Studio 1558 fan & power/charge light issue

I had the battery replaced in my studio 1558 recently and since then each time I use it after an hour or two of usage the fan comes on at full speed and remains on constantly and the power/charge indicator light alternates constantly between blinking orange and steady white. If i restart the machine i get a message during boot up that the system doesn't recognise the battery and it will not be charged and the only way i can restore normal operation is to shut down completely and restart. Despite the issue and the battery message, the battery is actually charging and appears to hold the charge fine but i am worried that there is some other issue or that it is an issue with the new battery and it will eventually malfunction completely. The repair shop who replaced the battery have taken the machine back and checked it and said they can find nothing wrong with it and have not seen the fan and light issue happen while the machine was in their shop. Can anyone shed any light on this for me??

0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: Studio 1558 fan & power/charge light issue

The message you're receiving, is it something like this: "WARNING: THE BATTERY CANNOT BE IDENTIFIED. THIS SYSTEM WILL BE UNABLE
TO CHARGE THIS BATTERY." ? If so, the battery may be installed incorrectly, or the
battery or system board may be defective. This was a direct from your Service Manual, however, I have seen where the blinking could mean close to a full charge/defective battery/board etc.. When the fan kicks on and the charge icon is blinking is the battery near full? Also, do you notice the battery/area around battery getting hot when the fan kicks on?

Lastly, have you tried running the diagnostics on the system, this can be done by pressing F12 at the Dell screen (initial power on), and then selecting diags. I hope some of this helps!

Best regards,

Brad 

0 Kudos
pixdad63
1 Copper

Thanks for your reply Brad,

That is exactly the message I'm receiving and yes so far anytime it has occurred the battery has either been fully charged or almost fully charged. On each occasion when the fan has kicked in I have actually checked the battery and the bottom of the machine in general and there has been no overheating that I can see. I have run the diagnostics as suggested by pressing F12 and that has not found any issues. This never happened with the previous battery which was the original battery even though that battery was no longer holding a charge and would only last about 10 or 12 minutes from full charge to almost zero. So taking into consideration what I have just outlined is it most likely that the problem is with the new non Dell battery which was recently fitted?? This problem doesn't occur every time I use the laptop but has happened twice in 6 days.

0 Kudos

With what you're describing I unfortunately believe it is the battery since the board is still charging it which is a good sign (well probably fortunately since it is not the system board etc. Smiley Happy ). It might be best to show this to the shop that fitted the battery, maybe even taking a video showing the issue since it only happens randomly every couple of days to see what they think.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Brad 

0 Kudos
pixdad63
1 Copper

Hi Brad,

Following your suggestion I went back to the repair shop and they ordered in another new battery for me. Unfortunately when I tried it yesterday it causes the same issue. So today I decided to try the original Dell battery (which only holds a charge for a short period but otherwise works fine) and the laptop functions perfectly without any issues which confirms to me that the problem is with the non genuine battery. However my problem now is that Dell no longer appear to sell this battery as a spare part so how do i get my hands on a replacement battery which will work with what was quite an expensive laptop. As always any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Liam.

0 Kudos