Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2010 10:00

Studio 1558 fan problem

Hello everybody,

Just got my brand new studio 15 on friday, turned it on after about 15 mins of light surfing the system overheated, restarted and everything worked fine. Dell said this is a known issue with no fix. This happens about once a day. Contacted dell tech support they updated the bios and said that would fix the problem. Long story short it didn't. Tech support is suppost to call me back today for a system exchange, my question is what kind of system will i get, I paid almost $1300 for my current system, which i've had less then a week, and i don't want to agree to a system exchange if they're gonna send me a $500 inspirion system. So will they send me something comparable to what i purchased or do i just need to opt for a refund and try a different system? 

61 Posts

March 14th, 2010 17:00

It's a problem with the BIOS. Connect to dell live chat support and they will update your bios to A04 for you or i can send you the update via email. The update seems to have fixed my shutdown/fan issue. Computer has been up and running for 3hours now with no shutdowns

1 Message

February 21st, 2010 11:00

I just bought a studio 15 (1558 model with the Core i3-330M chipset) and am having the same problem. It runs fine for a little while, then when i do an intensive task (like watch an HD video) it soon crashes, shutting itself clear off. When you turn it back on, it boots into the 'choose safe mode?' screen and turns the fan on full blast. It eventually cools down and the fan throttles back; then it runs fine until it goes into standby or is shut off (then back on). It's a shame because I really the machine otherwise. I'm guessing they just don't have all of the bugs worked out on the new chipsets. I'll be returning it...

2 Posts

February 21st, 2010 17:00

I too just purchased Studio 15 1558. when i first boot up after a few minutes it overheats and shuts completely down. I notice that the fan has yet to really turn on. i can immediately power back up , Fan turns onf high. Cools down and i am good to go for the remainder of my session.Other than this i realy like this sytem but don't want this to keep happening , have not called Dell yet but will tomorrow. Not happy that they are saying that they cant fix this. Hmmm

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 16:00

Hi,

Yes, we ordered a new Studio 1558 and it shut down during the initial Windows 7 new user setup.  We are going to return ours.  There are others reporting the same issue with the 1558 in another series of messages under the topic "Studio 1569 random shut off".

4 Posts

February 25th, 2010 12:00

I have a similar problem with my new 1558, but it's not always overheating - it just turns off randomly. I can hear the fan going off and on (which is normal). One time, it did heat up (HOT to the touch) but it didn't shut down then. I had to reboot it to get the fan to kick in.

This is just bad overall hardware. I called Dell multiple times. At first, they wanted me to reinstall Windows (that fixes everything); after 3 calls, they finally admitted that it was a known problem with my particular model and that there were no replacement parts available (apparently because it is a somewhat widespread problem). They claim they are sending me a new replacement system with all the same specs but a wider screen. I'll believe that when I see it. I'm sure they will send me a replacement, but will probably try to cheap out on something (like a lower end processor or lesser battery).

I'm going to check every component before sending the old one back, and I suggest that you all do the same. Places they might try to get away with cheaping out: (1) the battery. If you paid for an extended battery on your first system, the replacement might be a lower Watt-hour capacity. (2) CPU - they may try to give you a slower or less cache CPU of the same class. Will still say Intel Core i3 (or whatever) but can be slower clock and less cache. (3) harddrive with same capacity but less cache or slower RPM, (4) Graphics card with same amount of RAM, but cheaper components/lower-end chipset, etc; (5) Same for sound card.

65 Posts

February 28th, 2010 03:00

I have just ordered a Studio 1558 so am naturally interested in this issue.

Right now I have a Inspiron 6400 and use this fan/temperature control which I swear by and can't recommend highly enough.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

The thing is, will it work on the Studio & Win7........has anyone tried this yet.

Alternatively has anyone found a fan control app' that does work with the Studio & Win7.

2 Posts

February 28th, 2010 05:00

As i posted about this earlier i thought i would post a follow up:

I called Dell and the Tech logged into my computer and updated the Bios. It seemed to help but the next night the same thing happened just not as soon as it was initially so the update must have done something.

I had a tech call me to check in and i told him that i was going to call as this is still happening. He ran some programs to see if he could pin point what is going on.

He said i need some new parts and he is sending a repair person to my house to change out parts. I asked him what parts: Motherboard, Fan and Heatsink.

Soo.. Stay tuned as we will see what this does.

I just want to be sure i am getting comparable system /processing parts. How do i know? Any thoughts?

Thanks

4 Posts

February 28th, 2010 06:00

I've done the same, they updated the bios, sent a tech to my house and they replaced the same things, motherboard heatsink fan. still same problem. so once again i called tech and was told i had to wait for another update to the bios. After much yelling screaming and cursing they agreed to send me out a new system. If a new system still has the problem i'm returning it and going with HP.

1 Message

March 1st, 2010 10:00

I am having the exact same problem with my Dell Studio 1558.  The tech representatives kept telling me that my vents were blocked, etc.  This is obviously an issue with the fan control.  They are sending a tech out to my house to replace the motherboard, heatsink, fan, etc.  We'll see how that goes...  Otherwise, exceelent unit.  But seriously, I think they need a RECAALLL!!

17 Posts

March 1st, 2010 18:00

All,

I sounds like this is a similiar issue as with the Sutdio 1568 and 1558-  randomly shutting down.  Please read the forum thread on random shut downs.  This issue with the Studio 15 and i5 and now, the i3 processor continues.  Dell will send out a technician to replace the motherborad etc., and eventally there is a computer replacement.  For me, it has been about three weeks for the replacement cycle and close to five weeks of reporting and working with Dell Tech support to fix the issue with the Studio 15.  Yes, there is a serious issue here (with Dell's development, engineering, testing, and validation process) as can be seen with the Studio17 and the i7 processor and all of the issues experienced by Dell customers. The computer shut downs makes this Dell computer totally unrealiable.  Dell needs to resolve this issue and provide thier Customers with a fix that works. 

1 Message

March 4th, 2010 16:00

Hello all,

I just ran into the same issue.  Right out of the box, setting up windows, it shut down.  Over the cuorse of a few days it shut down time and time again. Updating the BIOs didnt resolve the issue. System checks came up with no errors. 

I contacted  tech support and they dispatched a technician to replace the system motherboard and heatsink  The technician came out about 2 days after the call and replaced the equipment as well as leaving me with 2 less gigs of ram!  I called the tech and he told me dell sent him the wrong memory module and they should be sending me a replacement soon.  This didnt sound right at all. On top of that, the system was still shutting down!

I decided to contact dell support to try and resolve the issue.  The support reps swore up and down that this is not a known issue although these forums suggest otherwise.  I opted for a replacement system which should arrive to me in 3 to 4 weeks. No expediting even though I've had a pretty rotten experience so far.  I actually like the system when it works ( i have another studio 15 with a core i7 that works beautifully).  Hopefully their replacement  resolves the issue. For now I'm left with a unreliable system which means I'll have to do a lot of saving and a lot of saving often.

Ill update when I get the new system.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2010 17:00

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry to say that if you are expecting a replacement, you will probably have the problem again.

Apparently, the 1558 that I bought and received in January had this issue, although nothing like this was communicated to me. I spent several weeks going through a number of phone calls with support. At first, they logged in remotely and updated the BIOS and drivers and that seemed to help, then the machine powered down suddenly (again). The next call I was told to restore back to factory defaults, which I did and again the problem occurred. I went round and round with support and they finally agreed to replace the laptop. Today I received the new one and after the initial setup and registration of McAfee, the new laptop powered down suddenly, all within about 30 minutes!

At least now I know this is not a single "lemon" issue and as a community, we need to get answers from engineering on how this is going to get resolved. Although I work with another Dell laptop for my job, I was hoping to take advantage of some of the newer features Windows 7 and the machine as it is great aside from this ridiculous situation.

This is my 3rd Dell over a number of years and I have been generally very happy with them, but this seems to be turning into a Toyota-style of denial of the gorilla in the room.

17 Posts

March 5th, 2010 18:00

All,

Yes, there is a problem with the Dell Studio 1558 and similiar models.  Please look at the thread for "random shut downs."  Whether it is a fan/ heat, software or hardware issue, Dell needs to address this and not leave their loyal Customer base hanging on replacement of motherbords or replacement units.  It is clearly documented that these steps DO NO WORK!  As customers, we have contacted Dell Tech Support and worked with Dell to document this catastrophic type failure of the Dell laptop which we purchased and paid for.

My probelm is well documented on these forums, with Dell Tech Support (2/2) and their replacement service (2/11).  I am now waiting for the replacement ("in production, 2/18) in which I expect to have the same random shut down to occur. 

There is a trend here with the Dell Studio 1558 and similiar laptops purchased in Jan and Feb that have the fan problem/ random shut down.  There may be a hardware issue with the motherboads or a software incompatibility with the new Intel CPUs. Dell should have many, many returns with this our isuue to figure it out. 

Yes, what is Dell doing about this issue to get to a resolution and how is Dell's Customer Service handing the degrading Dell image and increasing Customer dissatisfaction.

Dell, we are waiting and listening.

5 Posts

March 6th, 2010 07:00

Along with other issues (see "Home Laptop Quality" and "Studio 15 Hardware Conflict Between USB Flash Drive And Wireless Mouse Adapter" under Laptop > General Hardware), I recently experienced a similar problem with my Studio 1558: sometimes the fan does not turn on after starting the laptop.  This eventually leads to overheating, problems during video playback and a shutdown of the system (Kernel-Power event), either during the current session or during the subsequent reboot of the operating system. The BIOS, video and chipset drivers are all up-to-date according to Dell and Intel.

Although I could just abort sessions in which the fan fails to operate before the laptop overheats, my other problems with this laptop along with the these posts make me very concerned about the future reliability of this product. Although I am very pleased with the performance vs. cost for the Studio 1558, I am also wondering if these Intel Core i-3,5,7 systems were rushed to the market without adequate testing. Customer Service has been cooperative and says that they will refund the purchase price and regain my trust. Of course, the effort in reloading files, reinstalling software, and adjusting user preferences on another laptop can exceed the actual cost of the computer.

Can anyone recommend a "bulletproof" laptop, or does the close packing of components inherently make them flakier then desktops? I have experienced solid performance with the business Latitude series, which seem more ruggedly built and more conservatively engineered, if somewhat more expensive.

2 Posts

March 7th, 2010 00:00

God, this system is a nightmare.  I ordered a Studio 1558 and, like others here, it crashed just minutes after the initial setup.  I got in touch with tech support and they told me to reinstall Windows.  That didn't solve anything; the system was still crashing.  I talked with tech support some more and they agreed to send me a replacement system.  Guess what?  Exact same problem with the new system.  I get in touch with tech support again and initially talk to someone who tries to get me to switch to a Studio 17 with all the same components for my SECOND replacement computer.  I didn't realize it at the time, but after talking to his manager who explicitly stated that there are problems with the i3 and i5 processors in the Studio 15s, I now realize the first guy I talked to was trying to sell me on the Studio 17 because he didn't want to admit that there were issues with the Studio 15.  Talk about sleazy.  The manager stated in no uncertain terms that I should avoid the Studio 15 with an i3 or i5 processor if I decide to return the two systems I currently have and reconfigure a new one from scratch.  Today, I spoke with tech support again to try to figure out when/if the problems with the i3 and i5 processors would be fixed and a different manager said that there are "no known issues" with the Studio 15s with i3 and i5 processors.  Hmm, I wonder which one was telling the truth.  Probably not the second manager I spoke with.  Talk about not living up to their Code of Conduct.  I finally decided to throw in the towel and just get my money back.  I've spent probably twenty hours troubleshooting, emailing/chatting/calling tech support, etc without any positive solutions.  I really got my hopes up for this system, but it turned out to be nothing but a lemon.  I am very, very disappointed and frustrated with Dell.  The best advice I received from Dell came from the second manager I spoke with who said it would be best for me to just return the laptop and get my money back.  I'm glad I'll be getting my money back, but I'm still out the twenty or so hours and now I have to start my research over and look for a different computer.  Dell, you've really dropped the ball on this one.  Issue a recall, admit your mistakes, and don't treat your customers like stooges.

No Events found!