Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2010 10:00

Studio 1558 fan problem

Hello everybody,

Just got my brand new studio 15 on friday, turned it on after about 15 mins of light surfing the system overheated, restarted and everything worked fine. Dell said this is a known issue with no fix. This happens about once a day. Contacted dell tech support they updated the bios and said that would fix the problem. Long story short it didn't. Tech support is suppost to call me back today for a system exchange, my question is what kind of system will i get, I paid almost $1300 for my current system, which i've had less then a week, and i don't want to agree to a system exchange if they're gonna send me a $500 inspirion system. So will they send me something comparable to what i purchased or do i just need to opt for a refund and try a different system? 

42 Posts

June 14th, 2010 13:00

Straight from the mouths of Dell's support.  A new BIOS was released on 6/1/10 (version A06) which addresses insufficient power to the fan, an issue which was highlights by the dramatic numbers of intermittent shutdowns.  Not sure how it will work but I have updated my BIOS and am running a stress test...  And the stress test JUST died.  All 4 CPUs temp was at 72c..  Looks like the supposed  fix which is supposed to fix the thermal sensor and fan powering up isn't a fix...  

Back tothe drawing board and call into Tech support.  

June 15th, 2010 18:00

If they replace your machine you will recieve a brand new swap. You will reiceve the same, and in some cases a higher spec machine.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 6th, 2010 09:00

That is not true. A new exchange is only provided if the request was made while inside the first 30 days from the invoice date.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2010 12:00

The fan of my Studio 1558 is driving me nuts!

Even after doing nothing for an hour (using another computer) the fan of my laptop is still running full speed without ever stopping. In a quiet basement office this is super annoying!

*** @DELL: PLEASE FIX THE FAN IN THE A07 BOIS ****

7 Posts

July 30th, 2010 20:00

They just released BIOS A08, I'm about to give it a try

8 Posts

August 11th, 2010 18:00

Hi,

Is there any problems with the newest bios A08?? Fan issue is fixed ??? 

4 Posts

August 12th, 2010 09:00

I'm running the A08 bios without problems but the fan is still running like before :emotion-7:

1 Message

August 20th, 2010 12:00

Got a refurb model of this the other day, froze up on the windows first time start up. After that could not even get into the bios...

I must have got one of the laptops a previous poster returned.. stay away from this model. i3 processor etc.

1 Message

August 24th, 2010 05:00

Hi there !

I'm about getting Dell studio 1558 and i found this thread. I'm a bit worried about now, is the overheating problem solved? Everything works fine now ? Thanks for your reply.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2010 05:00

The only problem I have with my Studio 1558 (i3) is the fan. Instead of running at a more or less constant speed that cools the inside adequately for normal usage it switches from low speed (really quiet) to high speed (really noisy) all the time. Sometimes it runs in high speed for a long time even when idle (and cpu flat line).
I'm not doing heavy stuff on it (editing text documents, browsing Internet,...)

I never noticed the fan on any of my previous laptops and I was doing the same work on them. It's really annoying and if they could fix this with a BIOS upgrade I would be very happy because I'm sitting the entire day in front of it. If not, and so far I installed and tried a few upgrades already (running A08), it will be my first and last DELL laptop. Sorry guys... This should be something easy.

1 Message

September 11th, 2010 12:00

I just bought a Studio 1558 I7 Laptop. The retailer and Dell support assured met that they had sold many of these laptops and had not received any complaints at all regarding its performance. After two hours of regular use the machine froze and would not restart without removing the battery, the the problem kept reoccuring every few minutes. I had already upgraded to BIOS version A09 which is the latest version. I suspect that it is a problem with over heating. Dell have not responded to any of my requests for help. In fact their customer service is serious lacking in professionalism. I spent nearly an hour on the telephone being passed from one person to another only to have the last person hang up the line. This is an appalling situation, where after reading this thread Dell are clearly continuing to sell a model worldwide which has an inherent unsolvable problem. Does anyone else have any alternative solutions or should I just return this laptop and avoid Dell at all costs in future.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2010 14:00

if i was you all i would return this machine and get yr money bk  wen i had this model it was on bios version A06 no its 09 and still has the problem :O  now i have a packard bell easynote Tj75 and never had a problem  at all thats how i solved my dell problem got rid of it bk to del and got a decent lappy with the money i will never own a dell eva again the solution is to get yr money bk asap only thing that worked for me takecare beza ;)

god knows y they are evan still selling this junk lappy well all i can say if they want to loose loads of customers there going the right way about it LOL

2 Posts

September 19th, 2010 12:00

Well they sell alot of computers to many people, but system heats up differently depending on how you use it. I received my 3rd exchange laptop 3 days ago, Studio 1558 i7 with video card ATI 5470 and yet again I have the same problems, with little more usage the laptop goes very hot, even when I use only Skype for calls temperature goes to 82 degrees which is crazy hot, and when i watch HD movies temperature of both processor and GPU goes above 90 degrees and video card reaches even 100 degrees, which means something is really wrong with this computer overall since they couldnt fix it even after 3 exchanges, and soon there will be even 4th exchange since they dont want to return my money .... Overall you should avoid Dell because the customer service is the WORSE, they have no idea what is going on, every call with them is at least hour and a half, and when you see that this is my 3rd exchange you know I've spent more than 12 hours on phone with them... Do not buy this Studio for now unless they find solution to the overheating problem

October 19th, 2010 00:00

The only problem I have with my Studio 1558 (i3) is the fan. Instead of running at a more or less constant speed that cools the inside adequately for normal usage it switches from low speed (really quiet) to high speed (really noisy) all the time. Sometimes it runs in high speed for a long time even when idle (and cpu flat line).
I'm not doing heavy stuff on it (editing text documents, browsing Internet,...)

I never noticed the fan on any of my previous laptops and I was doing the same work on them. It's really annoying and if they could fix this with a BIOS upgrade I would be very happy because I'm sitting the entire day in front of it. If not, and so far I installed and tried a few upgrades already (running A08), it will be my first and last DELL laptop. Sorry guys... This should be something easy.

It's quite useful, Many thanks to your description! It is exactly what I need.

77 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 11:00

I just received a 1558  i3-350 onboard intel graphics.

The fan runs on and off.  On about every minute for about 10 seconds, even when no applications are running.

I upgraded from A08 to A11 bios, but the fan still cycles on and off on a regular basis.

It is not super loud, but it is annoying.

The fan will kick in even after the 500gb drive spins down.

Do all 1558's do this?

No Events found!