testdroid
1 Copper

Re: Studio 1558 fan problem

Jump to solution

The only problem I have with my Studio 1558 (i3) is the fan. Instead of running at a more or less constant speed that cools the inside adequately for normal usage it switches from low speed (really quiet) to high speed (really noisy) all the time. Sometimes it runs in high speed for a long time even when idle (and cpu flat line).
I'm not doing heavy stuff on it (editing text documents, browsing Internet,...)

I never noticed the fan on any of my previous laptops and I was doing the same work on them. It's really annoying and if they could fix this with a BIOS upgrade I would be very happy because I'm sitting the entire day in front of it. If not, and so far I installed and tried a few upgrades already (running A08), it will be my first and last DELL laptop. Sorry guys... This should be something easy.

0 Kudos
MichaelUK
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just bought a Studio 1558 I7 Laptop. The retailer and Dell support assured met that they had sold many of these laptops and had not received any complaints at all regarding its performance. After two hours of regular use the machine froze and would not restart without removing the battery, the the problem kept reoccuring every few minutes. I had already upgraded to BIOS version A09 which is the latest version. I suspect that it is a problem with over heating. Dell have not responded to any of my requests for help. In fact their customer service is serious lacking in professionalism. I spent nearly an hour on the telephone being passed from one person to another only to have the last person hang up the line. This is an appalling situation, where after reading this thread Dell are clearly continuing to sell a model worldwide which has an inherent unsolvable problem. Does anyone else have any alternative solutions or should I just return this laptop and avoid Dell at all costs in future.

0 Kudos
Beza
1 Copper

Jump to solution

if i was you all i would return this machine and get yr money bk  wen i had this model it was on bios version A06 no its 09 and still has the problem 😮  now i have a packard bell easynote Tj75 and never had a problem  at all thats how i solved my dell problem got rid of it bk to del and got a decent lappy with the money i will never own a dell eva again the solution is to get yr money bk asap only thing that worked for me takecare beza 😉

god knows y they are evan still selling this junk lappy well all i can say if they want to loose loads of customers there going the right way about it LOL

0 Kudos
btbitola
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well they sell alot of computers to many people, but system heats up differently depending on how you use it. I received my 3rd exchange laptop 3 days ago, Studio 1558 i7 with video card ATI 5470 and yet again I have the same problems, with little more usage the laptop goes very hot, even when I use only Skype for calls temperature goes to 82 degrees which is crazy hot, and when i watch HD movies temperature of both processor and GPU goes above 90 degrees and video card reaches even 100 degrees, which means something is really wrong with this computer overall since they couldnt fix it even after 3 exchanges, and soon there will be even 4th exchange since they dont want to return my money .... Overall you should avoid Dell because the customer service is the WORSE, they have no idea what is going on, every call with them is at least hour and a half, and when you see that this is my 3rd exchange you know I've spent more than 12 hours on phone with them... Do not buy this Studio for now unless they find solution to the overheating problem

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The only problem I have with my Studio 1558 (i3) is the fan. Instead of running at a more or less constant speed that cools the inside adequately for normal usage it switches from low speed (really quiet) to high speed (really noisy) all the time. Sometimes it runs in high speed for a long time even when idle (and cpu flat line).
I'm not doing heavy stuff on it (editing text documents, browsing Internet,...)

I never noticed the fan on any of my previous laptops and I was doing the same work on them. It's really annoying and if they could fix this with a BIOS upgrade I would be very happy because I'm sitting the entire day in front of it. If not, and so far I installed and tried a few upgrades already (running A08), it will be my first and last DELL laptop. Sorry guys... This should be something easy.

It's quite useful, Many thanks to your description! It is exactly what I need.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I just received a 1558  i3-350 onboard intel graphics.

The fan runs on and off.  On about every minute for about 10 seconds, even when no applications are running.

I upgraded from A08 to A11 bios, but the fan still cycles on and off on a regular basis.

It is not super loud, but it is annoying.

The fan will kick in even after the 500gb drive spins down.

Do all 1558's do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gdprun
6 Indium

Jump to solution

This is an on going problem with the Studio 17-i7 and Studio 15 i5s and it looks like th i3.  Speaking from experience and reading the responses, Del hasn't fixed it yet- or still.  Bios is up to Rev 11 and the problem still exists.  Reading a hightly indepth and technical diagnosis, it could be as simple as an assebly issue with the CPU, heat sink and cooling assemblies.  Bottom line- it is early in the game for you- - get your money back and save the heartburn.  Move on to another brand.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
laurentiu n.
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I have found a solution but it affect the in game performance...........try to install Nvidia Physicx........the fan is gonna run normal when the system is overheating but the performance in games(fps) will gonna be low.

0 Kudos
ehudslefthand
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

this computer is a pile of engineering trash, i originally purchased a 1555 last christmas. it went through 4 hard drives 2 mother boards, 1 cpu, 3 keyboards, and bottom plastic cover due to heat. dell refuses to admit there is a problem but the replaced my 1555 with a 1558 and it just smoked a hard drive, it has an i3 ship 500 g wd hd, and a intel video chip set all on the same heat sinc, just like the last computer, these studio 15's have cooling issues and its a dell problem, i am going to ask for my money back or a totally different computer from a different line of theirs. this is total bologna dell tec support has lied tome saying they arenot aware not aware of these issues and there is yet to this date no fix except getting a computer that is not a studio dell model. cnet has a thread that shows this computer and all the  15 inch models have the same problem. 

i either want the 17 inch model which has the same stuff but has 2 fans in it and keeps itself cool or my money back, please check your lemon laws for computers in your state and print this thread. 6 pages and cnet has many more, there is plenty of other places that show this model is not a good buy, i wish i bought the sony i was looking at before i got this one. 

ok dell balls in your court im not doing another hard drive replacement again.

0 Kudos
btbitola
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I started with Studio 1555 and had same problems, than they change it to studio 1558, because they stopped producing 1555 because of faulty design and they admitted it, and after 3 exchanges and all the same problems, I pushed hard for Dell Studio XPS, and I got one. Although old XPS model, it works much better then the regular Studio, my temperatyres have never went more than 72-73c, for the same work that on my Studio was going up to 100c. And now you are lucky because 3 weeks ago they started with the new Studio XPS totally redesigned, with the fan on the side, and you'll get even better laptop. So push hard for Stufio XPS, and you will get one.

Cheers

0 Kudos