Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2010 10:00

Studio 1558 fan problem

Hello everybody,

Just got my brand new studio 15 on friday, turned it on after about 15 mins of light surfing the system overheated, restarted and everything worked fine. Dell said this is a known issue with no fix. This happens about once a day. Contacted dell tech support they updated the bios and said that would fix the problem. Long story short it didn't. Tech support is suppost to call me back today for a system exchange, my question is what kind of system will i get, I paid almost $1300 for my current system, which i've had less then a week, and i don't want to agree to a system exchange if they're gonna send me a $500 inspirion system. So will they send me something comparable to what i purchased or do i just need to opt for a refund and try a different system? 

17 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 15:00

This is an on going problem with the Studio 17-i7 and Studio 15 i5s and it looks like th i3.  Speaking from experience and reading the responses, Del hasn't fixed it yet- or still.  Bios is up to Rev 11 and the problem still exists.  Reading a hightly indepth and technical diagnosis, it could be as simple as an assebly issue with the CPU, heat sink and cooling assemblies.  Bottom line- it is early in the game for you- - get your money back and save the heartburn.  Move on to another brand.

November 6th, 2010 17:00

I have found a solution but it affect the in game performance...........try to install Nvidia Physicx........the fan is gonna run normal when the system is overheating but the performance in games(fps) will gonna be low.

November 12th, 2010 23:00

this computer is a pile of engineering trash, i originally purchased a 1555 last christmas. it went through 4 hard drives 2 mother boards, 1 cpu, 3 keyboards, and bottom plastic cover due to heat. dell refuses to admit there is a problem but the replaced my 1555 with a 1558 and it just smoked a hard drive, it has an i3 ship 500 g wd hd, and a intel video chip set all on the same heat sinc, just like the last computer, these studio 15's have cooling issues and its a dell problem, i am going to ask for my money back or a totally different computer from a different line of theirs. this is total bologna dell tec support has lied tome saying they arenot aware not aware of these issues and there is yet to this date no fix except getting a computer that is not a studio dell model. cnet has a thread that shows this computer and all the  15 inch models have the same problem. 

i either want the 17 inch model which has the same stuff but has 2 fans in it and keeps itself cool or my money back, please check your lemon laws for computers in your state and print this thread. 6 pages and cnet has many more, there is plenty of other places that show this model is not a good buy, i wish i bought the sony i was looking at before i got this one. 

ok dell balls in your court im not doing another hard drive replacement again.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2010 05:00

I started with Studio 1555 and had same problems, than they change it to studio 1558, because they stopped producing 1555 because of faulty design and they admitted it, and after 3 exchanges and all the same problems, I pushed hard for Dell Studio XPS, and I got one. Although old XPS model, it works much better then the regular Studio, my temperatyres have never went more than 72-73c, for the same work that on my Studio was going up to 100c. And now you are lucky because 3 weeks ago they started with the new Studio XPS totally redesigned, with the fan on the side, and you'll get even better laptop. So push hard for Stufio XPS, and you will get one.

Cheers

11 Posts

November 13th, 2010 09:00

Using red font because I'm furious!  My new Dell Studio 1558 has the LOUD fan problem.

Yesterday, I placed the Studio 1558 laptop on my lap, with my laptop "board" and my cooling pad.  The SECOND it booted up, the fan started roaring like crazy and wouldn't stop.  I hadn't even loaded a program, gone online, nada.  Bottom of computer was cool to the touch!

I found what was to be a software setting change - "loud fan solution" at another online site, but that settings change seems to reverse itself every time I turn the computer off and then turn it back on.

I do not want to go through the hassle of getting yet another new computer to replace this one.  The loud fan is the only problem I have (I'm not even getting into the MISERABLE problems with Win7), and if Dell says they know about the problem but are unable to actually FIX it, I will have to think long and hard before I return it and start over.

I like the design of the Studio, with the exception of the poor placement of the ONE USB port, almost directly under the AC adaptor port.

My WIND notebook computer is designed and made in China, and I've had NO problems with that little gem.  Can an American company not even be able to manufacture a decent laptop???

17 Posts

November 13th, 2010 13:00

If you just got  your computer and it is within a couple of weeks, you can get your money back.  Pursue this approach and don't let Dell put you off past this initial period.  If they do, you are "stuck' with their computer and their problem.  GET YOU MONEY BACKAND MOVE ON!!! 

Second option, is to have them (Dell Tech Suppport) replace the CPU and heat sink and motherboard.  Reading a highly technical posting, there may be an assembly issue with the CPU and heat sink/ fan assembly. 

What ever you do, please be assertive and sensible with your approach with Dell Support.  It willlget you further in a solution---GOOD LUCK

gdprun

17 Posts

November 16th, 2010 12:00

Jusbgud,

Sorry to hear of your situation and the Dell 1558.  I suggest to get on the phone with Dell Support and get the issue/ complaint/ frustration known to them.  Also, read the forum  here and see the comments and bios update results.  The Dell Support will look at your computer and check for all of the upgrades etc.  This is what  I went through about 10 months ago with my Studio1558 (i5, Intel on board video and Dell wifi).  I had the motherboard replaced, CPU and heat sink re-attached etc.  and installed Dell bios upgrade.  Things have improved.  There is one technical response that talkes about the CPU, heatsink/ fan assembly in which the "heat sink compund" is poor and/or and assembly issue with the cooling system.  This could be done by  a Dell Support Technician in your area.  The DSTs are in every local area. 

The new processors (duals and i5, i7s) really run hot.  My fan does come on at times- loud but so des my wife's older 1550. 

11 Posts

November 16th, 2010 12:00

I'm seeing red because my 1558 fan is roaring so loud I can't hear the TV over the computer noise.  Unfortunately for me, the fan problem began after the 21 day return policy.

I have scoured the Internet, finding numerous fixes that people have tried to resolve the LOUD fan problem on the 1558.  Nothing has worked for anyone.  I haven't even called Dell Tech, since, from what I've been reading online, you get put on hold for long periods, your call is dropped, the tech is ultimately unable to fix the fan problem, etc. 

I'm disabled, and rely on my laptop, since I can't sit at a desk.  This was to be my pre-Christmas treat, since my Inspiron 1535 is now slow, with little room left on the hard drive.  That's after moving files onto an Iomega portable hard drive. 

This morning, I got out my 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1200.  I used it for over an hour, since it has photographs, 300 songs on it, etc.  Its fan is so quiet I had to put my head down to the computer to even hear it.  The old Inspiron 1200 is a better computer than this one!  It's slow, but it works!  This is fast, but annoying to use for ANYTHING.

But now I'm stuck with this miserable Studio 1558.  I'm not able to work and pay cash for things.  Since I have little to do and don't get out much, my computer is my window on the world, buying a computer via Dell Financial Services seemed a good way to go.  Now I'm stuck with a defective product from Dell and a monthy bill to pay for my NON WORKING PROPERLY Dell 1558. 

I'm feeling SO let down by Dell.  And this is the ONE time that I didn't save the box the computer came in!  I had such trust in Dell.  It's a shame.

11 Posts

November 18th, 2010 17:00

Thank you for the advice, GDPRUN.

I just got off the phone with Dell after a relatively short (46 min.) call. A service tech went online with me remotely, updated the BIOS, rebooted, and the fan is still running at full speed and loudly. This is when the air being forced out by the fan is cool, and the bottom of the computer is on an elevated cooling stand and the machine is cool to the touch.  But for all I know, the computer could be overheating.  I just don't know enough about the inner works of computers.

Since the BIOS update didn't make a difference, the service tech said that Dell could (locally) replace the hard drive and any other components as needed, and I could keep my current machine OR Dell could send me a new system (possibly upgraded) within 2 - 3 business weeks.  I would return this computer to Dell, at no charge or any real inconvenience to me.

I opted for a new system, since I have a feeling that this Studio 1558, Intel i3-350m, 4 GB, 500 GB COULD be defective.  After the service tech explained the replacement transaction, he connected me with a supervisor, who said that I might get the new system a little sooner than two to three weeks.  This is fine with me, since my 1558 works, albeit with the fan/cooling problem. 

I don't believe an upgrade will be necessary, and if I can have another computer exactly like this one, but without the fan/cooling problem, I will be a happy camper.  

After owning four other Dell laptops with NO problems EVER, I think the Studio 1558 problem will be solved.  At any rate, Dell responded exceedingly well to my phone call today, and I know now that Dell will do all it can to keep a loyal Dell customer.  The service tech was knowledgeable and professional, and so was his supervisor.

I just regret the problem and was hoping the BIOS upgrade would solve it.  We always want the simple fixes to work, and often they do.

November 18th, 2010 18:00

fan cooling prblems mean doa computer, wasted money, and wasted time.  simple. the Studio 15's and studio xps 15's have these issues its an engineering problem, anyone that works on computers knows that heat kills. simple. the problem is 1 heat sync 1 fan in an area that can create over 200+ degree's.

if you want to know how hot the stuff inside your computer is running this little program will show you  http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.16-setup.exe

this bios update does not solve hot hot this line of computers is running, dells tec support lies and tells people they are unaware of this issue when i have found over 12,000 threads on this line alone with this issue. they should have a recall on it, replace with a model that can keep itself cool enough to last more then 2 months at a parts swap.

i am not loyal to any product unless they can admit they made an oops and fix it, i spent over 1500 us dollars on this, i could have bought a comparable toshiba or sony that can keep itself cool long beyond the warrenty period.

17 Posts

November 18th, 2010 19:00

Good to hear you contacted Dell Tech Support and yu are going to get a replacement.  Been there - Done that. Make sure the replacement works.  My replacement had a bad DVD and the Dell Tech Support Tech came and fixed it.  Test the heck out of the new unit.  Run it day and night, videos, several applications, several internet pages ALL AT ONCE.  Good Luck- -   Can you get your money back??

11 Posts

November 18th, 2010 20:00

Thanks again for replying.  I appreciate your advice, since this is the first Dell laptop I've ever had that was problematic or defective in any way.  I will make sure the replacement works and put it through the paces.  If it doesn't work as it should, I'm sure Dell will offer to repair, replace, or let me change back to an Inspiron or upgrade to another system.  I upgraded because my Inspiron 1535 with only an 80 GB hard drive and 1GB RAM just wasn't enough anymore.  That system never gave me any problem, and it was tested to the limits.

It's also nice to have a computer I can lift a lot easier.  My entire spine has been in the process of degenerating from the neck all the way down.  The herniated discs are pressing on my spinal cord, and I simply cannot lift heavy objects anymore.  I can hold this 1558 in one hand.  After this computer cools down, I always keep it in the case I got for it.  Now I can lift the computer in its case with two fingers!  For me that's a tremendous plus.  I think the Inspirons are heavier in general.

So - when the replacement arrives, I'll keep the box, return this one, and set out again. 

My fan is running like crazy right now, and I'm only on the Internet, on one site, but with my mailbox in the background.  Felt under the computer, which is on its "Aviator" computer cooling stand, and the unit is not warm to the touch.  Could it be hot inside and not feel warm on the outside, on the case?  No need to keep replying.  That's a sort of rhetorical question.

22 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 16:00

I wish I'd read all this a few days ago! My 1558/i5 from the Dell Outlet is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It's supposed to be a "scratch and dent", but now I wonder if it was returned for overheating. :emotion-16:

Oh well, if I do have problems with it, I know not to let Dell string me along with pointless BIOS updates, Windows re-installs, etc. until it's too late to get a replacement.

11 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 19:00

I'm on my Studio i3, 500 GB hard drive that I've had for over a month now.  I complained in this forum about the loud fan.  Thought something was very wrong, although there were NO signs of overheating - no heat felt from anywhere on the bottom of the unit, just enough warmth to let you know the computer was running.

Dell offerred to send me a brand new replacement computer and I accepted.  THEN I went online and read every single review of the Dell 1558 I could find from the last 4 - 6 months - reviews by magazines from all over the world, comments from users and owners of various Dell Studios and other brands of laptops, reviews of comparable brands of computers, etc.  I finally decided that the new Intel products and the designs of the laptops are probably the cause of the louder than normal fan.

Then I decided to test and stretch this laptop to its limits.  I ran multiple applications, had multiple windows open on the Internet, used the Windows Media Player, all at the same time.  To my surprise, the more applications I ran, the less the fan noise.  Go figure.

Since this computer is perfect in every other way - I love the keyboard, the bright screen and resolution, the speed, quality etc., I decided it was pointless to have Dell send me a replacement that would just be identical to the good laptop I have - this new Studio 1558.  Dell was really responsive.  I had spoken a couple of times to their tech staff.  I never had to be put on hold for very long, the tech people were very nice and professional - helpful.  They didn't hesitate to offer me the replacement.

I called Dell back after I had decided I didn't want a replacement to try to see if it would be any different (it wouldn't have been), and asked them NOT to replace this computer, and told them why.

I got a follow up call from Dell a couple of days later, to make SURE I didn't want a replacement sent to my door.

It did help for me to make some advanced setting changes in the Power Cooling System - changed to "passive."  I think the BIOS update that the Dell tech did remotely was helpful mainly in giving me access to drivers I didn't have.  I think it MAY have affected the fan noise but only very slightly.

Long story short, as long as you are getting the Intel i3, i5, i7 on a Dell laptop, you will have to put up with the louder fan.  One reviewer mentioned that issue, but didn't cite it as a real flaw. 

I decided to live with the noise because I like the computer so much.  I read reviews of Apple computers with LOUD FAN COMPLAINTS.   So it isn't just with PC's, evidently.  By the time I need to upgrade this computer, hopefully not for 4 - 5 more years, the fan noise will be less with new engineering. 

So I'm happy now.  Sorry the fan is louder, but it leaves my 2007 Inspiron 1535 in the dust.  And the Inspiron DID run hot, and had a quiet fan!  This computer is not overheating.  However, as I did with my Inspiron 1535, I have my Studio 1558 on an elevated cooling pad.  It's elevated four inches in the back (fan is there) and two inches in the front.  I've been using the cooling rack for 3 years now, and in addtion to keepting the units cool, it is easier on my hands and wrists.  It's a plastic "rack" that you can find online.  Cost about $14 and worth every cent.

I hope my experience and decision helps you decide. 

17 Posts

November 24th, 2010 10:00

Jusbgud,

Good to hear you came to a workable solution and that maybe i was helpful. 

Yes, laptops run hot.  Ever since the invention of the dual processor, heat has been an issue- how to cool the processor.  Now the processors are faster, more on board the processor and laptops are thinner with more funnctionality.  Good luck and be cool.

gp

BTW, did you get the illuminated keyboard- great option for a few dollars :-)

No Events found!