Ravilino
1 Copper

RE: Studio 1558 random shut down issue with latest BIOS

I too have the same trouble with my 3 year old Studio 1558; random shut downs. I've done extensive forum and blog trolling (as previously stated this seems to be a common 1558 problem), cleaned fan, replaced thermal compound, updated bios, etc, etc.

I would think Dell would address this with customers instead of ignoring it (or offering useless platitudes); i.e. at minimum a free motherboard replacement.

AdamB1690
1 Nickel

Deva -

Unfortunately, I'm not in India - and I've all but given up on the laptop as I look for replacements from other manufacturers - but best of luck with your lawsuit and please do post here as to how things resolve.

Adam

AdamB1690
1 Nickel

The computer's a lemon and I suspect they knew that soon after its initial release. I believe their position from the start has been to weather the complaints and wait for them to die down - rather than take any corrective action - knowing that eventually people would give up.

It's really a shame as they've sacrificed considerable goodwill in the process.  I, for one, am telling all my colleagues to stay as far away from Dell as possible.

Highlighted
crisls
1 Copper

I also have a Dell Studio 1558 bought approx. June 2010, BIOS A04. I see the same random shutdown problem. The laptop is unuseable as it will run no longer than approx. 30 seconds before shutting down. It shuts down in BIOS and during hardware diagnostics (FN key while booting). The laptop was not cheap at 1000 EUR and I expect it to last longer than just over three years. I have an Acer laptop from 2006 that still runs fine. I will recommend others not to buy Dell equipment in the future. My next laptop will be HP or Asus, certainly not Dell.

Tags (4)
Devanathan B
1 Nickel

It's just us who needs to be sorry about purchasing these faulty models. My experience after speaking to most of the senior people in DELL is like, they don't give a damn as the issue has happened after warranty period. According to them, all those who post these issues in the internet forums are spammers or anti-DELL people.

If DELL really cares for their customers, they should be acting fast after these many complaints. Above all, they very well know there is an issue with these models. No wonder, DELL has rejected the complaint notices I have sent to their Head office.

I'm almost in the final stages of reaching the court to file a suit against DELL India for selling a faulty design laptop. Time to make DELL feel bad for their silence.

0 Kudos
Akrivii
1 Copper

I am experiencing the same problem. Again my laptop is approximately 3 years old. It is rather ironic that everyone who reported this problem in this thread claims their laptop is also 3 years old. This clearly eliminates the possibility that these problems are a result of the customers' behaviors, computer maintenance, et cetera.  Therefore it makes it very likely that the problem we are experiencing is caused by the nature of the product we have purchased from Dell. This seems like a perfect example of planned obsolescence to me considering we are all experiencing this problem within the same time frame. This is clearly a flaw in our Dell products and I should hope that Dell will own up to their mistake in efforts to defend their credibility as a reputable company. Judging by the content of the few responses provided by only one employee, it appears Dell is trying to ignore this issue and thus their customers. I should hope we receive a response about this issue we are experiencing, followed by a solution. If nothing is resolved, I will be submitting a report into the Better Business Bureau.

For those who are experiencing this same problem, I would suggest you do the same  if this issue is not resolved. That way Dell's true credibility and reliability will be exposed. The Better Business Bureau is a great tool for customers to have a respected and valued voice.

PurushNaidu
1 Copper

Hi, I have bought my Dell Studio 1558 laptop in the year February 2010 , now my laptop is facing random shutdown problems same like others, I have had tried to fix the issue by myself (removed the clogged dust from cooling fan&vent, replaced the CMOS battery). I have tried to run diagnostic test on boot up and it completes successfully even then my laptop shutdown randomly after few minutes. My cooling fan runs fine even during the last second of my laptop shutdown. My win7 shows up a message "consider replacing your battery" . For this I have cleared the static charges from laptop and I connected the power source directly and tested again. Even then my laptop shutdowns randomly. When I have contacted dell service centre at chennai India, they said "it could be possibly a mother board problem and hardware needs to be changed.also Dell studio 1558 models has only remote service support and I can opt to pay 11000 Indian rupees package. So then dell service will come to my home and diagnose and fix the problem". My brothers laptop Lenovo is two years older than my dell studio 1558 and still it works fine without any problems. Dell being a international brand, it should consider recall this product or service or replace hardware for free of cost if huge amount of dell customers are impacted with the same problem and with the same model of laptop. Has any of the dell customers got positive response from dell for this problem. Regards, Purush(unhappy dell customer)
Devanathan B
1 Nickel

Hi Purush,

Thanks for adding yet another case.

Can you write to DELL Executive customer support team and copy the CEO Mr. Michael Dell in your email? that way they will be made to get out of the oblivious state. They blindly argued with me that this product has no defects reported and nothing can be done as it is out of production. The problem clearly is an overheating motherboard and due to which the GPU either gets damaged or de-soldered resulting in such failures. I'm trying to move the court with this case, but I need enough similar cases to prove that I'm the odd one out. If you are interested in pursuing a case against DELL, kindly message me.

Considering these many cases, it clearly proves DELL's cheap way of making money in business by manufacturing sub standard products. It's real shame on such a reputed brand to play cheap.

I have messaged you the concerned people's email ID.

0 Kudos
tdas777
2 Iron

RE: Studio 1558 random shut down issue even with latest BIOS

Hi,

I had a Studio 1558, purchased in Sep 2010.
During Aug, sep 2013, the laptop started BSOD/shut down/Restart own its own; but not frequently, very few times. But one day in Dec 2013, the display became blank, no visual response, but laptop used to turn on since its HDD/Fan used to spin.

Since it was under warranty, dell service came and checked the laptop, changed the display, display cable; then they said it's mother board fault, and since this m/board is discontinued, they said they'll replace the laptop with other laptop with similar/higher config.

Since their replacement models don't have backlit keyboard, i didn't agree. So they agreed to refund the purchase price and value of the remaining warranty. After loads of conversations and approx 30days of waiting finally they issued a credit note in distributor's name since the laptop wasn't purchased directly from dell site.
Since the distributor is a good man, and I wasn't in the Kolkata (purchase city); he refund the entire amount of purchase in my a/c.

Dell issued the credit note only because the system was under warranty; or they would have hassled me.

0 Kudos
thetravelmanic
1 Copper

RE: Studio 1558 random shut down issue even with latest BIOS

Dear Dell and all,

I am continuing this thread as I too am experiencing the same issue as everyone else with my Studio 1558 randomly shutting down about 5-10mins after start up. I'm not a big I.T. person so I don't know where to begin and true I believe this could be a planned obsolescence on Dell's part. I bought my laptop in July 2010 and it has been fine up to now. However, in light of newer and cheaper laptops I think I will switch to another company (This is my 3rd Dell laptop over 12 years) as I feel this problem cannot be resolved as it's outside warranty timeframe. 

Dell I hope you respond to this and to everyone and provide advice and support on what we can do. Otherwise I won't be purchasing another Dell in the future. 

0 Kudos