Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2010 10:00

Studio 1569 random shut off

I bought the new Studio 1569 with Intel Core I5 and Windows 7 just under one month ago from Best Buy.  The laptop will shut off for no apparent reason.  It doesn't seem to be getting too hot (but I'm not sure), there is no blue screen, no warning...just turns off.  It will power back on immediately and brings me to the start windows in safe mode or normal screen. I chatted with Dell Tech Support last week and they told me to send it into the depot for repair.  I am hoping someone might have another solution other than waiting for up to 2 weeks to get my computer back.  

Does anyone have a solution? Can't seem to find any answers anywhere. Thanks!

UPDATE 3/20/10: After 9 days I got my 1569 back from Dell. They replaced the MLB. Guess what? Didn't fix the problem. Just shut off on me after 8 hours of on and off use. I'm seriously irritated. Update BIOS to A04. Called Dell tech support.  He told me to restart using F2, leave in BIOS screen overnight and see if it still shut down.  He said a Senior Technician would call me back in the morning to determine what the problem is.  The Senior Tech called me, he had no clue what was wrong nor was he willing to find out.  I could barely understand anything he said due to the accent.  Now what?

UPDATE 3/24/10: BIOS and Driver updates do not fix this issue. After talking with Dell tech support once again, the Senior Technician told me I needed to send in to the Repair Depot for a second time. He says the heat sync needs replacing, another MLB and reformat hard drive.  Just sent to Depot today. I will post again when I get it back and let you all know if this fixes it.  I sincerely hope so!

UPDATE 4/9/10: Depot replaced heat sync and fan.  Still having issue with random shut off.  Called Dell and told them I wanted a brand new laptop with no issues or my money back.  Dell called me yesterday to inform me that they are sending me a new one with upgraded processor and memory. They even let me choose the ccolor, promise pink for me:)  I'll be happy with this as long as the replacement is actually better. 

UPDATE 4/17/10: Got my replacement a couple of days ago.  Dell sent me the Studio 1558, upgraded processor to i7, ram to 6 gigs and facial recognition software.  It appears with the upgrades this 1558 is about $500 more than what I paid for the 1569 at Best Buy. The look of this 1558 is different from the 1569 I had, it's much thicker and a narrower.  I liked the slim design of the 1569. Should I be happy with this exchange? Anyone?

539 Posts

February 16th, 2010 12:00

Try and run an alternative OS as a 2nd opinion - no need to install anything - or delete your windows install.

If it runs under a different OS without any problem, it's likely a Windows only problem.

Then it makes no sense sending it off - you'll likely get it back shutting down again

Cheers!

8 Posts

February 16th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for the advice.  I will try that tonight.  Any suggestions on an alternative OS? Something free maybe?

February 17th, 2010 16:00

I got a Studio 1558 from Dell.com (Core i5-520, built in graphics, Win7, 9cell battery) that had this issue. I returned it, got another one this week and it's doing the same thing. I LOVE the laptop, but hate this problem. I think I'll be returning this laptop as well for another one. I can't believe the issue would be wide spread enough that I'd receive 2 Studio 15's that are doing the same thing.

ALSO! If you're running the built in Intel video card, I'd suggest not updating your video drives to the drivers that dell has on the support site. My current Studio 1558 laptop and the previous Studio 1558 laptop would not allow you to adjust the brightness at all with the newest drivers and it would set the brightness to max. I used the system restore point to recover from that.

I hope Dell fixes this issue soon!!!!

February 20th, 2010 09:00

I got my studio 1558 and it shut of on me 5 times the first day.  called support and updated bios...helps, its not doing it 5 times a day but still shut off once every day or 2.

I dont want to wait around till they find a solution.......might run pass the return policy date.

February 20th, 2010 09:00

The return policy is 21 days from the date of invoice that is day you placed the order.

If the system is shutting down automatically and there are no intimations, error messages, blue screens.

This is an hardware issue and not an software one.

Try running diagnostics on the system and see if they reveal anything.

To run diagnostics power off system completely, press and hold the Fn key on the keyboard and then press the power button.

If you dont want to send the system in for repair.

They have a deal where in if you pay $39 plus taxes, they would send a technician at your place for parts replacement.

This take somewhere 2-3 business days to get completed.

In this case, I assume they would be replacing the motherboard and memroy modules(RAM) for dealing with this issue

February 20th, 2010 18:00

Thanx for your input,

I did the diagnostic and nothing came up.  What i notice is when it does shut off, it happens in the  first 30 min., and it does feel a bit warm.

I will pay more attention to it next time see if the fan is on before these shut offs........I love this notebook but this problem is so annoying.

there are not a lot of choices out there that off full HD on a 15 inch.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2010 19:00

We just bought the Studio 1558 and it arrived last week.  It shut down the first time while going through the initial setup of Windows 7 - that was quite a surprise.   Did it again the next 3 days - just shut down suddenly, and then when it restarts, we would get the screen where you have to choose between Safe Mode and Starting Normally.  It did seem like a nice computer, but we didn't want to deal with problems on a brand new PC, so we requested a return and it is going back tomorrow.

8 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 09:00

Downloaded all available driver and bios updates last week. Also uninstalled my dvd backup software (DVD Fab and DVD Shrink).   It seems to have worked, for now.  Laptop has not shut off once since update.  We'll see. I'll post if it happens again.

February 22nd, 2010 11:00

Over the weekend I was running the FN+Power button diags, and I laughed when the system actually powered off during the middle of that. My issue appears not to be caused by OS/Software, but rather a hardware issue.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 16:00

Oh - I forgot to mention in my post earlier that I updated the BIOS to A03 and it still shut down.

8 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 07:00

I updated BIOS to A04 and everything is working fine.  Maybe I've just been lucky so far.  I'll give it a week and see what happens.

17 Posts

February 24th, 2010 11:00

All,

Here is what I posted on another Studio 15 thread randomly shutting down.  Yes, my brightness controls went out once the recommended update was installed.  This was also seen and verified in another thread.  There are similiar and clear issues with the Studio 15 which represent a trend.  I suspect the brightness is a software issue/compatibility since it does work in the Windows diagnostics mode.  The random shutdown is more serious.  I agree, what is Dell doing about this?  Swapping out the motherboard and exchanging computers doesn't solve the problem.  I expect to receive my echange computer with the same issue of random shutdowns.  I will not be udateing the Intel/Dell update.  Thanks.

17 Posts

February 24th, 2010 11:00

All,  I got the Studio 1558 with the i5 processor and W7 at the end of January.  I got the random shut down early on the first days (Computer was improperly shut down).  I thought I was doing something wrong, but the shut downs randomly continued.  After a week I contacted and worked with the Dell Tech Support via remote connection with my computer.  Ran the diagnostics- PASS, checked the bios and updates- all at the latest level.  He did adjust the power management to NEVER go off.  It "seemed" to be better.  They followed up in a few days in whcih no shut down accurred.  It did happen again and that is when Dell decided to replace the motherboard (but used the old CPU).  The Repair Tech came out the very next day as Dell Tech Support promised.  As he turned it on and went into the Windows Setup screen  for diagnostics, the computer shut down again- he saw it!  Other problems with the brightness f4,5, also were not fixed.  Dell was contacted and the computer is being sent back in an exchange.  Bottom line- get you computer sent back for an exchange, whcih is a 3 week process, and assuming the issue is hardware related. There are some underlying issues with Dell's hardware and software compatibility and testing.  Good luck

8 Posts

February 27th, 2010 07:00

Went 10 days without any shut downs, happened again this morning after my daughter played an online game for about an hour.  I will be backing up today and sending back to dell.  I hope by now they have a solution and I don't get it back with the same issue! 

2 Posts

March 7th, 2010 01:00

I have had the same problem with my Studio 1558.  After receiving one replacement system and still encountering the same issue with the random shutdowns I finally pressed Dell tech support for an answer and a manager told me that there are problems with the i3 and i5 processors in the Studio 1558 (i assume it applies to the other Studio 15 models, too).  This appears to be a widespread issue with no solution as of yet.  In my opinion and based on my experience with these two malfunctioning systems it seems like there are some serious problems with the production and testing of these systems.  If you've already purchased one, talk to tech support and see what they have to say about a long-term solution.  Don't put too much faith in getting a replacement system that works.  It seems to me like Dell would be perfectly happy to simply keep replacing systems until the 21 day mark at which point you'll be stuck with it and be unable to get a full refund (at least not easily).  That almost happened to me, but fortunately the Dell technician I was on the phone with tonight reminded me of the 21 day deadline and actually recommended I simply return the system and get my money back.  I'm glad he said that, but it doesn't inspire much faith in the product.

No Events found!