Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2010 10:00

Studio 1569 random shut off

I bought the new Studio 1569 with Intel Core I5 and Windows 7 just under one month ago from Best Buy.  The laptop will shut off for no apparent reason.  It doesn't seem to be getting too hot (but I'm not sure), there is no blue screen, no warning...just turns off.  It will power back on immediately and brings me to the start windows in safe mode or normal screen. I chatted with Dell Tech Support last week and they told me to send it into the depot for repair.  I am hoping someone might have another solution other than waiting for up to 2 weeks to get my computer back.  

Does anyone have a solution? Can't seem to find any answers anywhere. Thanks!

UPDATE 3/20/10: After 9 days I got my 1569 back from Dell. They replaced the MLB. Guess what? Didn't fix the problem. Just shut off on me after 8 hours of on and off use. I'm seriously irritated. Update BIOS to A04. Called Dell tech support.  He told me to restart using F2, leave in BIOS screen overnight and see if it still shut down.  He said a Senior Technician would call me back in the morning to determine what the problem is.  The Senior Tech called me, he had no clue what was wrong nor was he willing to find out.  I could barely understand anything he said due to the accent.  Now what?

UPDATE 3/24/10: BIOS and Driver updates do not fix this issue. After talking with Dell tech support once again, the Senior Technician told me I needed to send in to the Repair Depot for a second time. He says the heat sync needs replacing, another MLB and reformat hard drive.  Just sent to Depot today. I will post again when I get it back and let you all know if this fixes it.  I sincerely hope so!

UPDATE 4/9/10: Depot replaced heat sync and fan.  Still having issue with random shut off.  Called Dell and told them I wanted a brand new laptop with no issues or my money back.  Dell called me yesterday to inform me that they are sending me a new one with upgraded processor and memory. They even let me choose the ccolor, promise pink for me:)  I'll be happy with this as long as the replacement is actually better. 

UPDATE 4/17/10: Got my replacement a couple of days ago.  Dell sent me the Studio 1558, upgraded processor to i7, ram to 6 gigs and facial recognition software.  It appears with the upgrades this 1558 is about $500 more than what I paid for the 1569 at Best Buy. The look of this 1558 is different from the 1569 I had, it's much thicker and a narrower.  I liked the slim design of the 1569. Should I be happy with this exchange? Anyone?

8 Posts

March 8th, 2010 08:00

I also have a week old 1558 with the same exact problem. Installed different OS, same thing happened. Ran full diagnostics, nothing came up. Whomever gets to the bottom of this keep us updated!!.

35 Posts

March 8th, 2010 21:00

One thing everyone can do to check is to download OCCT and run it for a while. Watch as it hits around 90 degrees Celsius and see if it shuts off. It ticks me off that the fan never really kicks in until after the power shuts off, and I think it might just be something wrong in the BIOS. I know Dell wants to blame Windows 7, but this happens in Ubuntu (and supposedly OS X...).

8 Posts

March 10th, 2010 06:00

I confirm that it DOES happen to on OS X.

My computer rebooted right after the initial setup of the computer finished ( I am SURE it did happen to the testing people.. and they just let it go through). Then it happened again after re-installing Win 7, then I started dual booting OS X and Win 7 and it still happened... Last night I had enough. Called Dell Support and I'm returning my system. As much as i LOVE it,  its just unacceptable to pay $1000 on a computer to see it shutdown itself for no reason at all. I have no idea what will I get next.

Here in the Dell forums I've read of lots of people with the problem. I spoke with a friend who has a computer repair shop and he told me most probably it has to do with the temperature in the CPU. I believe its a problem with the temperature sensor of the CPU, either sensing a rapid increase in temeprature and shutting down or getting an inaccurate reading.

March 10th, 2010 23:00

Dell has identified this issue as a problem with the bios and I believe the integrated graphics.  Call Dell and they will send you a replacement.  They said that it would be the exact same as my 1558 except that it would have an off-board graphics card, which is what led me to assume it was the bios and graphics card issue.

19 Posts

March 13th, 2010 21:00

Hello all,  getting very depressed about my new 4 day 1558 computer that I cannot use.  Dell says they will call me Monday night to remotely install BIOS A04... Laugh!  Given everything I have read in the last few hours of time... it appears to me a Mac might be a better choice than to rely on a potential fix to a new computer.   How very sad.  Oh well, looks like more wasted time and the consumer gets ripped off again.

61 Posts

March 17th, 2010 23:00

Download and install the new BIOS update available at dell.com 

2 Posts

March 19th, 2010 12:00

Why is Dell shipping these with the bad bios if they have a fix? Ridiculous.

8 Posts

March 20th, 2010 10:00

BIOS update doesn't help. After 9 days I got my 1569 back from Dell. They replaced the MLB. Guess what? Didn't fix the problem. Just shut off on me after 8 hours of on and off use. I'm seriously irritated. Update BIOS to A04. Called Dell tech support.  He told me to restart using F2, leave in BIOS screen overnight and see if it still shut down.  He said a Senior Technician would call me back in the morning to determine what the problem is.  The Senior Tech called me, he had no clue what was wrong nor was he willing to find out.  I could barely understand anything he said due to the accent.  Now what?

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 18:00

I bought the 1569 almost 3 weeks ago, and all of a sudden over the weekend up to just a few minutes ago I started having the same problems.  I updated everything on the laptop but still have the same issue.  I bought it from Best Buy, but from reading all these posts, it appears there is nothing they can do about it. Unfortunately, BB's policy is only returnable within 14 days so I'm well past that.  If anyone has any information as to a fix for this, please let me know.  I don't think re-installing Windows 7 seem to the solution.  Really annoying!! I like this machine a lot, except for this stupid issue!

Also, is anyone with the 1569 having touchpad issues? I turned the zoom off, which was really bad! For some reason any movement of the touchpad would case my browser to zoom.  Now, my issue is that the cursor won't move from time to time!

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 19:00

I to purchased the same laptop (Studio 1569) from Best Buy. Within 3 days I began to experience the same problems with the computer randomly shutting down for no apparent reason. I also encountered two blue screens. After contacting Dell I upgraded the BIOS to the A4 version as well as the video drivers. Concerned that I would run past the 14 day return period with BB I explained this to the Dell techs that were trying to help resolve the issue. Of course they told me not to return the laptop, that they would assure me that they can resolve the issues I was having. Huh! After upgrading the BIOS and video drivers I did not encounter any problems for the next 2-3 days until on the 14th day (the last day I could return the PC) I got yet another blue screen. That morning I called Best Buy to inquire about extending the 14 day return period and let them know that I was working with Dell to resolve the issue and that I really did want to try to find a fix. Without hesitation the customer service rep from BB said with these kinds of problems so soon that I should return the computer and so I did. I was going to try exchanging the one I got for the same model however the Batch # on the box was the same and for that reason I decided to wait a little longer and maybe try later hoping Dell will resolve these issues before shipping another set.

If anyone else can confirm the batch # that is/was on the box when you bought your machine I would be curious to know if it was the same as mine. The batch # on mine was J018604. You can find this on  the sticker that should be on the outside of the box. I purchased my laptop at a Best Buy in Pittsburgh PA. 

I never experienced any problems with the touchpad however if you go to the Best Buy website and look at the reviews for the same model with a dedicated graphics card others noted some similar complaints.

17 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 21:00

quigley_b,

I don't know anything about batches to help you out.  What I can say from experience is that we have been fighting the random shutdowns/ fan problem since the Studio 1558 came out in January.  Other models seem to be afffected.  The A04 bios update has shown improvement and a fix.

The blue screen is another issue.  You should look on the community for the "blue screen" and see what you can learn.  I believe this may appear in the Studio 17s with the i7 processor and the third party video card. Also, check Dell's Tech Support site for issues.  Good luck with this.

BTW, does your screen brightness function keys f4 and f5 work??  Do you have a 1520 mini wirless card and if you do,  how is that performing (via the wireless utility)?

Glenn

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 21:00

Glenn

Thanks for the follow-up post.

I did not find any posts about a blue screen on this model. While troubleshooting with a Dell tech we ran MS debugger and it appeared there may have been an issue with the video drivers and they were updated. As mentioned before however I encountered a second blue screen the likes of which was more difficult to understand with the debugger. This which ultimately drove me to return the laptop at the suggestion of a Best Buy rep.

As for the time I was able to observe the effect of the A04 BIOS upgrade, I had not encountered any new instances of a random shut off. I was not able to observe for a period of time sufficient to say for sure this was a permanent fix and from the look of the previous posts it appears as though it worked for some but perhaps not for others. (I realize this is an extremely small sample of users) .

Yes, my screen brightness keys f4 & f5 worked without any problem. I do not recall exactly which wireless card was installed on my machine, but I do not recall any significant problems with it. 

As mentioned previously I have since returned my computer due to the very short 14 day return policy set by Best Buy. I was disappointed with this as I was intent on finding a fix or at least hoping Dell would solve the problems associated with this laptop but I was not willing to take the risk. Aside from these problems I absolutely loved this laptop and hope that in time these issues will be resolved. Until then I will continue to follow this post hoping for some answers.

8 Posts

March 24th, 2010 14:00

UPDATE: BIOS and Driver updates do not fix this issue. After talking with Dell tech support once again, the Senior Technician told me I needed to send in to the Repair Depot for a second time. He says the heat sync needs replacing, another MLB and reformat hard drive.  I will post again when I get it back and let you all know if this fixes it.  I sincerely hope so!

2 Posts

March 25th, 2010 07:00

Thanks, and please do keep me informed. I want to take it to Best Buy, but if they don't see the problem, they will not fix it. I have the 2-year warranty.

1 Message

December 10th, 2010 07:00

Please let us know if you find a solution.  I have an older Studio laptop (January 2009) that occasionally does the same thing - sudden, complete power down without warning or explanation.  I read another thread about a possible issue with the fan, etc.  I have a double-fan pad underneath my laptop and still occasionally does this.

No Events found!