BrendaVT
1 Copper

Re: Studio 1569 random shut off

Oh - I forgot to mention in my post earlier that I updated the BIOS to A03 and it still shut down.

0 Kudos
RalloAZ
1 Copper

I updated BIOS to A04 and everything is working fine.  Maybe I've just been lucky so far.  I'll give it a week and see what happens.

0 Kudos
gdprun
1 Copper

All,  I got the Studio 1558 with the i5 processor and W7 at the end of January.  I got the random shut down early on the first days (Computer was improperly shut down).  I thought I was doing something wrong, but the shut downs randomly continued.  After a week I contacted and worked with the Dell Tech Support via remote connection with my computer.  Ran the diagnostics- PASS, checked the bios and updates- all at the latest level.  He did adjust the power management to NEVER go off.  It "seemed" to be better.  They followed up in a few days in whcih no shut down accurred.  It did happen again and that is when Dell decided to replace the motherboard (but used the old CPU).  The Repair Tech came out the very next day as Dell Tech Support promised.  As he turned it on and went into the Windows Setup screen  for diagnostics, the computer shut down again- he saw it!  Other problems with the brightness f4,5, also were not fixed.  Dell was contacted and the computer is being sent back in an exchange.  Bottom line- get you computer sent back for an exchange, whcih is a 3 week process, and assuming the issue is hardware related. There are some underlying issues with Dell's hardware and software compatibility and testing.  Good luck

0 Kudos
gdprun
1 Copper

All,

Here is what I posted on another Studio 15 thread randomly shutting down.  Yes, my brightness controls went out once the recommended update was installed.  This was also seen and verified in another thread.  There are similiar and clear issues with the Studio 15 which represent a trend.  I suspect the brightness is a software issue/compatibility since it does work in the Windows diagnostics mode.  The random shutdown is more serious.  I agree, what is Dell doing about this?  Swapping out the motherboard and exchanging computers doesn't solve the problem.  I expect to receive my echange computer with the same issue of random shutdowns.  I will not be udateing the Intel/Dell update.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
RalloAZ
1 Copper

Went 10 days without any shut downs, happened again this morning after my daughter played an online game for about an hour.  I will be backing up today and sending back to dell.  I hope by now they have a solution and I don't get it back with the same issue! 

0 Kudos
PJN1014
1 Copper

I have had the same problem with my Studio 1558.  After receiving one replacement system and still encountering the same issue with the random shutdowns I finally pressed Dell tech support for an answer and a manager told me that there are problems with the i3 and i5 processors in the Studio 1558 (i assume it applies to the other Studio 15 models, too).  This appears to be a widespread issue with no solution as of yet.  In my opinion and based on my experience with these two malfunctioning systems it seems like there are some serious problems with the production and testing of these systems.  If you've already purchased one, talk to tech support and see what they have to say about a long-term solution.  Don't put too much faith in getting a replacement system that works.  It seems to me like Dell would be perfectly happy to simply keep replacing systems until the 21 day mark at which point you'll be stuck with it and be unable to get a full refund (at least not easily).  That almost happened to me, but fortunately the Dell technician I was on the phone with tonight reminded me of the 21 day deadline and actually recommended I simply return the system and get my money back.  I'm glad he said that, but it doesn't inspire much faith in the product.

0 Kudos
PRboy
1 Copper

I also have a week old 1558 with the same exact problem. Installed different OS, same thing happened. Ran full diagnostics, nothing came up. Whomever gets to the bottom of this keep us updated!!.

0 Kudos
McNutty
2 Bronze

One thing everyone can do to check is to download OCCT and run it for a while. Watch as it hits around 90 degrees Celsius and see if it shuts off. It ticks me off that the fan never really kicks in until after the power shuts off, and I think it might just be something wrong in the BIOS. I know Dell wants to blame Windows 7, but this happens in Ubuntu (and supposedly OS X...).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PRboy
1 Copper

I confirm that it DOES happen to on OS X.

My computer rebooted right after the initial setup of the computer finished ( I am SURE it did happen to the testing people.. and they just let it go through). Then it happened again after re-installing Win 7, then I started dual booting OS X and Win 7 and it still happened... Last night I had enough. Called Dell Support and I'm returning my system. As much as i LOVE it,  its just unacceptable to pay $1000 on a computer to see it shutdown itself for no reason at all. I have no idea what will I get next.

Here in the Dell forums I've read of lots of people with the problem. I spoke with a friend who has a computer repair shop and he told me most probably it has to do with the temperature in the CPU. I believe its a problem with the temperature sensor of the CPU, either sensing a rapid increase in temeprature and shutting down or getting an inaccurate reading.

0 Kudos
paladinfello
1 Copper

Dell has identified this issue as a problem with the bios and I believe the integrated graphics.  Call Dell and they will send you a replacement.  They said that it would be the exact same as my 1558 except that it would have an off-board graphics card, which is what led me to assume it was the bios and graphics card issue.

0 Kudos