pjarhead
1 Copper

Re: Studio 17 Keyboard problem (solved already)

Thank you for this advice.  I have had intermittent problems with the studio 17 media center "touch" lights, namely the reverse button staying on.  Then yesterday, the keboard quit completely.  While sitting on the help support hold line, I searched the site and found your  post.  Went ahead with the call as the "technician" came on just as I found this.  He had me power up tapping the F8 key.  I asked him what good that would do if the keyboard didn't work?  He did not seeme to be able to think outside whatever checklist DELL gave him to follow. 

So after that didn't work, true to script he had me power off and power up tapping the F2 key.  Then again holding the fucntion key while powering up.  I had already tried unistalling the keyboard driver and rebooting to have Windows reinstall, and had tried the F2 already to see if it was a Windows problem or hardware.  (But at least I learned about the F8 and Fn keys on boot-up). 

So then he tells me he will have an on-site tech come by and replace the keyboard.  I told him that would be hard to do since I'm military and currently depolyed, unless there was a technician in Baghdad.  His answer was DELL would send a box to my residence.  I would ship the laptop back to my residence and have my sife put it in DELL's box and send it in for repair.  Then DELL would send it back to my house where my wife would have to send it back out here.  I told him I'd hold off until I got home since I don't believe the laptop would survive all of that. 

As soon as I hung up, I powered off, pulled that battery for a minute, replace it and powered up, keyboard works fine. I'm just concerned, as others are, how often this happens and is it a precursor to a more serious problem down the road.  Say, right after the warranty runs out?  Is anyone from DELL actually reading and responding to these??????

0 Kudos
Jacara3535
1 Copper

Thanks Bricorn, your answer to the dead keys on the keyboard problem was right on..... you saved me a bundle in service fees and I appreciate you taking the time to post.

0 Kudos
Vger97
1 Copper

Thank you so much!  I was having the same problem with my keyboard but your fix totally solved my problem!

Give yourself a pat on the back!

0 Kudos
luckygehrig
1 Copper

I've had the same problems with my Studio this week. Unfortunately I've also had to do the "flea power" fix several times in the past few days. Was this a one-time occurence for everyone else? Is it normal to have to do this about once a day?

0 Kudos
Bricorn
1 Copper

luckygehrig,

I don't actually know how often this needs done.  I've got in the habit of doing it when I'm taking the laptop anywhere, so I don't actually see the fault.  It's certainly months for me though, not days.

0 Kudos
TruthSeekr
1 Copper

Hey thx a ton for this!!!
I had the same problem with my new Studio1555 (barely 3months old) and I was going crazy...I had tried everything short of calling up tech support.

Finally I googled for solutions (with great difficulty I might add, using Window's on-screen keyboard isn't exactly fun) and hit this page.

I dunno why but it worked!
All I did was shut down everything, unplug everything, pull out the battery, wait a couple of minutes and then boot on only A/C. And it worked!

😄

0 Kudos
Shandar32
1 Copper

WOWZA!!!! This is truly amazing and such a life saver!!!  I have only had my Studio 17 for a little over a month so when the media control keys decided to stop working I was rather irritated.  Naturlally, I went to Dell for support because it is obviously still under warranty and let the technician person "take control" of my computer.  They tried installing an update (again, only a month old - clearly not outdated!).  When that didn't work they tried several other things and finally wanted me to send my computer away.  Well, I'm a law student and with mid-terms and the need to take serious notes in class that really wasn't practical so I began searching around on here for things to try.  After doing several suggestions that said to remove the control cover and other disassemblings I came upon this and decided what the heck!  I'd tried numerous other (and more difficult and tedious) things - now I'm wishing I had found this one 1st!!!!!  Such a time saver!!!  How is it even possible that these so called "professionals" don't know about simple solutions like this?!?!?!?!  RIDICULOUS is what!

0 Kudos
Cooley012
1 Copper

Hi,

Thankyou so much for posting this, I opened my laptop this morning to finish 1 of 3 uni assignments due during the week and what do i find, a non responsive keyboard. I tried everything, found this little post and bingo it worked.

Thanks again mate.

Ryan

0 Kudos
ebousca
1 Copper

I had the exact same problem. Thank god the mouse and touchpad still worked so i could find this page. Turned the computer off, unplugged the charger from laptop and wall socket, removed the battery. Popped the battery back in after waiting two minutes and voila!

I would have probably gone through hours of suffering while trying to reach somebody at dell who could help me. You really made my day!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
phatboye
1 Copper

Bricorn, thank you! I had this problem on my Dell Studio laptop which is 8 months old. Turned it on and found none of the keys worked. I couldn't sign in with my password. However, I found that I could bring up the on-screen keepboard using the Accessability tab on the left of the log-in screen using Vista. There was no help from Dell and I had almost given up when I Googled the problem and you popped up in my search.

So, slightly hesitant it would work, I disconnected my USB mouse and power cord, removed the battery, held the power button down for 10 seconds and then left it for a minute or two. I then put the battery back in and powered up and hey-presto - I can now type again!

Thanks for sharing this. I've had other issues with my Dell Studio, so that's it for me. No more Dell's from now on.

Cheers, Steve

0 Kudos