DJ TidalWave
Not applicable

Re: Studio 1737 DPC Latency

I read your post, where can I get drivers for the Studio 1737 for win XP?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

FYI, going to XP does not help the DPC spikes.

0 Kudos
Garlo808
Not applicable

Just stumbled across this thread and am a bit disheartened.  I've been a Dell fan for years and recently (within the last week) ordered a $2K Studio 1737 w/8GB of RAM (still 'In Production' at Dell and not yet shipped)  to replace my Inspiron 1505 for two reasons - run a virtual lab environment for development testing using either Hyper-V or VMWare, and more importantly, use it to record and edit live audio with Acid Pro 6, SoundForge, Reason 4.0, etc, which I'm able to do on my older E1505 machine.  Main reason for the upgrade was the inability to upgrade to 8GB RAM on the E1505.  I hope this is resolved quickly on the 1737, as the inability to create and play music on a machine that cost $2K will be a reason for promptly returning it to Dell for a refund.  I wish I would have researched this model further before ordering.  Since one model's issues have been resolved, hopefully they will be releasing a fix for the 1737 soon.

0 Kudos
neiasden
Not applicable

hello all, i was experiencing major high dpc issues with my dell studio 1536, always having spikes in the latency checker, i did everything on all the forums and nothing. eventually i got ahold of dell support and they are sending a box for me to send it in and get a new mobo and whatever else it  needs to resolve this, i bought the pc for recording only for a home studio, the crackles put a wrinkle in that so for months i have done nothing, dell support updataed bios and drivers and all that, finally i complained enough that they offered for me to send it in. hope this works, but anyway, i am new to forums, only after this issue did i learn of them and chose this one to join, any help using it would be great, you all seemed to be the most sensable ones. thanks for any help.  later

0 Kudos
DudexSnave
Not applicable

Hey Bill,

I have been in contact with several people i know who have studio laptops and most of them have the 1735, i noticed that on the dell drivers site there is no bios releases since 12th may 2008, in the wild i would expect most people have these laptops over the 1737, i know the guys  are working on the update to the bios for 1737 but is this also going to be for the 1735 as dell seems to have forgotton about this model, even though it fully supports windows 7 dell offer no drivers for the platform and you have to trawl the internet manually for win7 drivers ( but do include it in the windows 7 upgrade elegibility ( with no available drivers???)????) has dell forgot about 1735 owners? 

FYI dpc latency is slightly different on the 1735's i.e. green bars except for (exactly) every 4 secons spike of 3500us otherwise ~70us

DuDeX

0 Kudos
eckythump
Not applicable

Just stumbled across this thread and am a bit disheartened../...../..as the inability to create and play music on a machine that cost $2K will be a reason for promptly returning it to Dell for a refund.  I wish I would have researched this model further before ordering......

Not sure how Dell will deal with it,  but you may be better off cancelling your order at this stage. I've just successsfuly arranged for them to pick up and refund on two 1737's 6gb ram,  2.4ghz processors,  dual350gb HD's. It was a hard slog though, technical support can be wildly different between different agents understanding, eventually I got one who completely understood it, but it really wasn't easy, and I've spent a long time sorting it all out. Whilst the laptops were good value for the spec, the inabilty to use them for what I had actually intended, made them pretty useless, and with any potential fix still only in the pipeline, too much of a risk to wait out.

hello all, i was experiencing major high dpc issues with my dell studio 1536, always having spikes in the latency checker, i did everything on all the forums and nothing. eventually i got ahold of dell support and they are sending a box for me to send it in and get a new mobo and whatever else it  needs to resolve this....

I think this demonstrates what I mean about different technical support agents understanding, If your problems are due to DPC latency, which sounds likely, there is nothing they can do at present to fix it, so they'll be fitting a new mobo for no reason, not an easy procedure on a laptop, and not  a repair I would want undertaken needlessly, it could even end up causing problems that don't currently exist.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this demonstrates what I mean about different technical support agents understanding, If your problems are due to DPC latency, which sounds likely, there is nothing they can do at present to fix it, so they'll be fitting a new mobo for no reason, not an easy procedure on a laptop, and not  a repair I would want undertaken needlessly, it could even end up causing problems that don't currently exist.

Agreed. If I were you I would not even send the system in. A new mobo will not fix the issue. The solution will come in the form of a new BIOS revision, most likely.

This afternoon I am going to work with one of our engineers who is replicating the issue on 1737. We should have all the testing completed by close of business today, and turned over to the sustaining engineering group responsible for implementing the fix. Then it is just a matter of time until they develop and web post a fix. I know they are working this issue for every affected platform. We just posted a new BIOS rev for the Studio XPS 1340, which has resolved the issue completely, save for some issues on units with the Dell draft N card. There is a pretty simple workaround for that issue posted on the 1340 latency thread, and I'm pretty sure there will be a new driver revision for the Dell N card that will render the workaround needless.

So, at this point, I'll be honest, you're best bets are to  either hang on to the system and wait for a new BIOS rev, or return the system.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Bill,

I have been in contact with several people i know who have studio laptops and most of them have the 1735, i noticed that on the dell drivers site there is no bios releases since 12th may 2008, in the wild i would expect most people have these laptops over the 1737, i know the guys  are working on the update to the bios for 1737 but is this also going to be for the 1735 as dell seems to have forgotton about this model, even though it fully supports windows 7 dell offer no drivers for the platform and you have to trawl the internet manually for win7 drivers ( but do include it in the windows 7 upgrade elegibility ( with no available drivers???)????) has dell forgot about 1735 owners? 

FYI dpc latency is slightly different on the 1735's i.e. green bars except for (exactly) every 4 secons spike of 3500us otherwise ~70us

DuDeX

You have nailed it. The approach we are taking is to prove the latency on one platform- we selected the 1737- to raise awareness, then open product support requests for all other affected platforms. Once we have the first system "in the pipeline," the reasoning is we will be able to shove all the others in at the same time using the same methodolgy for proving failure as a template.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATING.

I spent the afternoon in the lab yesterday working with (read: for) one of our engineers who is opening the product support requests with the quality engineering team. We were able to make some headway. By platforms tested so far:

• Studio 14z/Inspiron 14- no trouble found with tested hardware running latest BIOS. Interesting that in 2 of the 5 tests I saw bad spiking in DPC Checker, but if I just reset the graph and started again, all green. No audible dropouts or lags in audio playback.
  • Studio 1735/1737- problem still exists after latest BIOS rev. Issue replicated and findings have been documented. Expect internal product support request to be opened to quality sustaining engineering this week. No current ETA on resolution, but if the recent BIOS update fix for Studio XPS 1340 is any indication, we should see a BIOS rev to resolve for these platforms.
  • Studio 1535/1537- arghhh. We had faulty hardware and no parts on hand to swap. We need to check out another one from the hardware library and replicate the issue. Should see the same basic path on this platform as that of the 1735/1737. No ETA as of this time, but we do expect to see a fix forthcoming.
  • XPS m1330/m1530- update your WLAN drivers and BIOS.
  • All Vostro- After we have the Studio's in the pipeline, we will begin the same process for all affected Vostro platforms.

Did I miss anybody?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jammbrose
Not applicable

Bill,

Thank you for bringing a new level of transparency to this thread.  I have been chasing this issue around on my 1737 since I purchased it about a year ago.  Dell was kind enough to replace the MB and power input PCB in the hopes of resolving the issue.  I can't recall exactly how many hours I spent trying to get someone to understand this issue.  I reverted to chat tech support with no success.  This thread is the best piece of tech support.  It just needed someone like you to jump on this and organize all of the info this thread was pulling.  Great job!

jared 

0 Kudos