Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2009 19:00

Studio 1737 DPC Latency

Hello! My Studio 1737 is showing the DPC Latency problems described as in this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19245700/19411542.aspx

Symptoms include periodic crackle and popping sounds during audio playback. The problem is most severe with wireless broadband enabled and disabling it greatly helps but does not completely solve the problem.

Research on the web shows this is a fairly widespread problem known to affect Studio laptops, and that BIOS upgrades have resolved the problem for other computers including Dell's XPS line.

So I'm hoping this will be fixed soon. Has anyone been able to get information from Dell support about whether this will be fixed with a BIOS update for the 1737?

Cheers,

-Andy

58 Posts

April 20th, 2010 10:00

What the HECK is going on???!!!

It's almost May and not response from these people!

2 Posts

April 20th, 2010 19:00

My studio 1535 has still not a new bios (latest dec 2008!).
NEVER A DELL AGAIN WITH DOES TERRIBLE AUDIO!

18 Posts

April 21st, 2010 07:00

They are garbage.  Get your money back or demand a replacement computer that does not have DPC Latency issues.

They are my reason for being an Mac convert.  Couldn't be happier, and have since bought an imac as well to replace the PC.  Simple and issueless.

58 Posts

April 21st, 2010 09:00

My 1737 is working fine with the ACPI workaround but I'm sick of having to do it now.

We need a fix to this problem Dell!

May 7th, 2010 16:00

Hi... i'm a studio 1735 user.. and i also have these spikes every 5seconds or so.

i have been researching the prob and came across this:

This is the problem and solution for the Alienware M17x Systems

» Summary

Article Summary: This article provides information about what to do if you experience high Delayed Procedure Call (DPC) latency on your Alienware M17x system.

» Description

If your system has high DPC latency, this issue may cause audio or video stutter when playing video games or playing audio or video.

» Solution

1. Update the system BIOS to the latest M17x BIOS A03 (R254103.exe), which reduces the CPU thermal polling that was causing most of the high DPC latency problems.
  2. Verify that you are using the latest Broadcom wireless driver found on the Dell Support website. This driver corrects latency issues encountered with the native wireless driver included in the operating system.

so from that.............. i am wondering if CPU THERMAL POLLING is the culprit for the DPC issues on our studio systems too.

Are the engineers still working on the problem?

here's the source for the article : http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=7AF3131667DFB7AFE040AE0AB8E11E69&journalid=85C8C7572F622559E040AC0A66E91E20&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=28792~7~262223&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

26 Posts

May 12th, 2010 12:00

I have a nearly new Inspiron 1750 which has the same latency problem, I have the updated A06 bios, but it still happens.

The laptop came with Windows 7 x64 installed (I created a dualboot with a music partition), and a Broadcom WLan chipset. Is there any improvement with this model ?

4 Posts

May 14th, 2010 19:00

Does anyone know if this latency problem  has been fixed yet as I have a studio 1735 which is useless to me as a tool for audio creation due toit.

I would be prepared to upgrade to the 1749 (I guess that is the latest ) with touch screen  if the audio stuttering is fixed.

Does anyone know if this is the case as I don't want to waste another couple of grand almost.

Thanks

Ray in Perth Australia

1 Message

June 2nd, 2010 17:00

I'm having the same DPC latency issues.

I have a Studio 1555 with the following specs:

Studio 1555 : Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600(2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB)
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 Internal Memory
500 GB SERIAL ATA (5400RPM) Hard Disk
512 MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD4570
Intel Wireless Card Label - Core 2 Duo
Intel WiFi Link 5100 (802.11 a/b/g/n 1X2) 1/2 MiniCard European
Europe Dell Bluetooth 370 Card
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

The model number is PP39L

See below my DPC Latency chart:

Like most people here I want to use my Studio 15 to run Traktor Scratch Pro. The latency tests however are based on stand-alone performance by the Studio 15, no additional devices were connected to the laptop.

I recently installed the newest version of the BIOS for the 1555 (A11 released 14-4-2010) but to no avail, the DPC latency issues remain.

I was surprised to find that the Studio series of all Dell laptops have audio issues, since they are advertised as multimedia savvy laptops. As I have been reading a lot the last couple of days around the internet it baffles me that Dell to this day has not come forward with a solution to these persistent problems a vast number of its customers is experiencing. As mentioned on numerous occasions it's hard to swallow for Dell customers that their laptop is not delivering on one of its key selling points: multimedia experience.

I hope the Dell team could give me and all others some support how to finally tackle this nagging issue once and for all so we can finally enjoy our Dell laptops to their full potential. I was very satisfied with my laptop until now, but then I faced this latency issue when I started to use it with Traktor Scratch Pro.

26 Posts

June 5th, 2010 09:00

My 1737 is working fine with the ACPI workaround but I'm sick of having to do it now.

We need a fix to this problem Dell!

Was that with a XP 32 install ?

I tried suspending both ACPI threads in W7 64, but it made no difference

6 Posts

September 14th, 2010 01:00

Yeah, I'm using a W7 64 and suspending ACPI makes very little difference. I wish Dell could do something about this. I've bought 2 Dell Laptops since 2007. This will definitely be my last. I'm currently saving to get a new system. My sister is about to get a new computer, and I'm going to have to steer her clear of Dell. So sad...

November 1st, 2010 13:00

is this thread still open am having major dropouts with my dell xps 1330 with  the numark ns7fx, am amazed how long this issue has had with no solution

i even did a complete reinstal of vista and same problem,i was about to drop some money on a xps with a i7 cpu WITH ALL SPECS TOP OUT

BUT THEN I DID A LITTLE INVESTIGATION AND OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAVING SAME ISSUE WITH THE  i7  i5  i3  

if you want proofe head over to serato.com   and search for  I7 I3 I5

if anyone at dell will tell me i wont have a issue WITH A NEW DELL, am spending the money with dell,

if not, for what i need a laptop now , to dj using serato with a numark ns7fx.  i have to go with a mac

all my computers and tv are dell i have been buying dell for years, i dont think this issue is a bad mark for dell, but since i will be using

this laptop at clubs i can afford a drop out.

:emotion-2:

November 1st, 2010 13:00

is this thread still open am having major dropouts with my dell xps 1330 with  the numark ns7fx, am amazed how long this issue has had with no solution

i even did a complete reinstal of vista and same problem,i was about to drop some money on a xps with a i7 cpu WITH ALL SPECS TOP OUT

BUT THEN I DID A LITTLE INVESTIGATION AND OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAVING SAME ISSUE WITH THE  i7  i5  i3  

if you want proof head over to serato.com   and search for  I7 I3 I5

if anyone at dell will tell me i wont have a issue WITH A NEW DELL, am spending the money with dell,

if not, for what i need a laptop now , to dj using serato with a numark ns7fx.  i have to go with a mac

all my computers and tv are dell i have been buying dell for years, i dont think this issue is a bad mark for dell, but since i will be using

this laptop at clubs i can afford a drop out.

:emotion-2:

November 3rd, 2010 16:00

http://www.youtube.com/v/rNBq36xnvnI?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> http://www.youtube.com/v/rNBq36xnvnI?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">

here is my you tube video of the dropouts using my numark and my dell 1330 xps

service# DCFT1G1

DELL XPS 1330

i have install the drivers 3 times, i reinstall vista from scratch,i have follow seratos suggestion for fixing it , nothing

look at this   http://www.serato.com/faq/itch/#5681 am not blaming dell for this issue at all , but i can spend money on a laptop thats not gonna do what i need.

l if you can see if this issue wont be a  issue with a dell i7 xps laptop , am buying one,

am using a numark ns7fx , with  serato icth, www.numark.com  www.serato.com

if you guys need more specs of my lap top just ask. terry what ever if you can give me is great i been with this issues going on two months.

November 3rd, 2010 16:00

http://www.youtube.com/v/rNBq36xnvnI?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"> http://www.youtube.com/v/rNBq36xnvnI?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505">

here is my you tube video of the dropouts using my numark and my dell 1330 xps

service# DCFT1G1

DELL XPS 1330

i have install the drivers 3 times, i reinstall vista from scratch,i have follow seratos suggestion for fixing it , nothing

look at this   http://www.serato.com/faq/itch/#5681 am not blaming dell for this issue at all , but i can spend money on a laptop thats not gonna do what i need.

if you can see if this issue wont be a  issue with a dell i7 xps laptop , am buying one,

am using a numark ns7fx , with  serato icth, www.numark.com  www.serato.com

if you guys need more specs of my lap top just ask. terry what ever if you can give me is great i been with this issues going on two months.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 5th, 2010 18:00

I can certainly; see your frustration in the video clip. Your YouTube certainly went far in describing the problem.  Have you noticed simular issues watching DVD and videos, listening to normal audio tracks, playing games?  Does the system drop out while not using the Numark? 

If would limit the amount of software running in the background if you have not done so already.  Check the settings of the antivirus other software and utilities running in the background to make sure that they arent interfering with Itch. 

If possible i would make sure that you are using the AC adapter, and go into Windows Power Management settings and configure the system to high performance.  I would also go into device manager (system icon in control panel)  and under unversal serial bus controllers look fand double click each Generic USB hub and click on the power management tab and make sure that "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked for each of them.  Basically free up as many resources as you can for Itch to work correclty.

TB

No Events found!