Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2010 10:00

Studio 1737 cannot work with power cord & battery.

When i plug my battery into my Dell Studio 1737 it works fine but when i plug in my power cord to the computer the power cord shuts off and doesnt charge my battery. Therefore i can only use the battery until it dies which isnt very long or operate fully off of the power cord. hence why my laptop has become a desk top because my battery is dead and i have to run off of my powercord. I have bought a new powercord and it did the same thing i bought a new battery and it still did the same thing.

Laptop is out of warrenty, any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks.

Gary

5.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2010 12:00

The power circuity inside the laptop is damaged, probably because of rough handling of the DC plug/socket; the solder connections on the DC socket experience breakage. Fortunately, the 1737 has a separate power board that can be replaced, instead of replacing the entire system board. If you are handy, the repair is not difficult. The repair requires most of the guts to be removed to get to the charger board, so if you are not handy, find someone to do the work. Many sites found on eBay will repair the laptop for reasonable prices, but you will need to send in the entire laptop. A local repair shop will be more convenient. The power board will cost about $20.

No Events found!