Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 29th, 2015 08:00

Studio 1747 not suitable for Windows 10

Windows 10 pre-installation web page  advised me that Network card DW1520 Wireless N WLAN half-mini-cards is not compatible with Windows 10 and that I may not be able to connect to the internet if I upgrade to Win10.

The card works perfectly with Win7. Dell support has suggested that I buy an USB adapter.

Broadcom, the card manufacturer refuses to comment other than "go to Dell" 

Has anyone a fix?

Has anyone the same problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2015 09:00

Dell doesn't support anything but Windows 7 on the Studio/Studio XPS systems.  It may or may not work - if it does not, you'll need to either replace the network card or use the external USB wireless adapter as Dell has suggested.

Since Dell didn't support Windows 8 on these, neither will it support 10.

1 Message

September 8th, 2015 12:00

I had a 1747 Studio with Windows 8, then upgraded it to 8.1. With 8 everything was working flawlessly. Windows 8.1 messed up my video card - it does not detect it and uses the default one on the main board.

The wireless works with both 8 and 8.1. It even works with Ubuntu 14.

I will be upgrading to Windows 10 anyway since all my stuff is on the Ubuntu OS. I will write back here with the results.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2015 03:00

I upgraded my WIFI half card to an Intel 7260 HMWWBR - Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 ( Network adapter - PCI Express Half Mini Card - ) which worked perfectly on win7.

I then installed (upgraded) to win10 to be sure that my PC has been recorded by MS as authorized. I know that I can revert to win7 if necessary. Every thing works but not perfectly. The main thing is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD-4650 graphics card driver which was installed by win10. The driver number is 8.970.100.9001 provided by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 

AMD´s website states the following:

AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 Series products and older are not certified to support Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.2 or higher and therefore, do not have driver support for Windows® 10.

Windows® 10 will install the default Microsoft®​Basic Display Driver (MBDD) for these graphics adapters. MBDD provides basic display functionality (low resolutions and color) on a single monitor but DOES NOT support:
• Display scaling control
• Multiple displays
• Display rotation
• Video capture
• Power settings
• VSync control
• Brightness control on integrated display panels
• AMD Catalyst™ Control Center

The resolution of the screen is 1600 x 900 which looks OK

1 Message

October 27th, 2015 16:00

Have the same card and upgraded my 1747 to Windows 10 (free upgrade) Windows detected the card and I was connected to the internet with no problem.

November 11th, 2015 07:00

I upgraded my 1747 to Windows 10 and I didn't have problems with the wifi card. I'm assuming that's because I replaced it some months before I installed windows 10 with a better card from Intel. My problem with windows 10 was that I could no longer use my hdmi port. (never tried the vga port) . Eventually I went back to windows 7 because I really use my HDMI port. I actually use this compute l like a "roku" to drive the tv , so the HDMI port was very important. Also I don't think that the dell blue tooth card worked after installing windows 10.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2017 10:00

I recently upgraded my Studio 1747 to Windows 10 and wi fi internet works ok, but cannot get bluetooth working.  Have not tried hdmi yet, but will soon.

1 Message

February 28th, 2017 00:00

I have a studio 1747 and attempted to install windows 10, after nothing but issues with all the drivers.

Reinstalled windows 7 , windows 10 waste of time

No Events found!