aaron74
1 Copper

Re: Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

Padam

Return it before it's TOO LATE!!

I too have had a similar experience.  2 NEW laptops replaced the hinge cover myself on the first one.  The eject light stayed lit on both with exception of the original laptop the volume up and eject button stayed lit.  Second one I just had the hinge cover replaced Monday by a tech.  Everything was good for 1.5 days.  Today started it up this morning and evening both cold boots and no light but none of the media buttons work.  They did finally start working after about 15 minutes.

Looks like Dell has figured out how to get the light to not stay on and hope we don't try to use the media button right after initial cold boot.

0 Kudos
dan03141
1 Copper

I have tried all of the suggested fixes on these forums and none of them fixes the core problem of the eject button jamming on. I did have a go of the russian guy's fix of disabling the volume & eject buttons by taping over the cable contacts - this does work but ofcourse you can no longer use the buttons and it's a lot of hassle. My feeling is that the best solution is to completely dissconnect the media panel cable until such time as dell discovers what the real issue is. Leaving it connected puts your DVD drive at risk of being damaged by the constant eject triggering.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kaleben
1 Copper

Similar story, got my laptop in Jan. Same issues. Tried many things that did little or nothing (Tech Support, Part replacement, Virgin Sacrifice, Etc). At last my fustration led me to just disconnect the ribbon cable from the media control panel and deactivate the keys. Its been working great since then. Not one unintentional eject. I don't miss the keys. I bought the dell travel remote for movie watching and use Fn-F10 to eject. If one day they find a fix, I may reconnect it but i doubt it.  It also keeps my laptop cleaner. (Less fingerprints)

Good Luck to all

-Doug

p.s funny thing is that my laptop works faster than before. I wonder if keys were bogging it down.

0 Kudos
padam
1 Copper

Follow-up on my 2 Studio 15s with the media panel problem.

The first one had the media panel replaced by a service technician (I could have done it myself but I paid for the service so they might as well come and do it).  He replaced both the media panel and the cable.  No problems since then.

The second laptop was completely replaced at my request with a brand new laptop.  No problems with the new one so far.  Note that the new laptop was "made" in Malaysia whereas the 2 that had problems from the outset were "made" in China... not sure if the problem might have something to do with the components of the assembly.

0 Kudos
Jsunder
1 Copper

This may have been a fluke, but my eject button started doing the same (have had my Studio 15 for one week).  When it went off, about five minutes or so after booting up, I went into Media Direct and ran through the setup options.  Turns out there was an update, so I downloaded that, rebooted, and everything looks ok.  Give it a try...Couldn't hurt, and it might help!

0 Kudos
DChamp56
1 Copper

I updated the software as you did for Media Direct, it fixed it for a day or so and it came back.

My advice, Call Dell and IMMEDIATELY ask for a refund! Do not accept anything else. No new motherboards (I'm on my third), nor a new PC (second one is just as bad and they sent the wrong color).

If you keep your PC, you were warned. They will wait until your 21 day refund period is over and then they "GOTCHA".

They promised me at 16 days that a new PC would fix it. When that didn't work and we asked for our money back, they just said "oh sorry, you're over your 21 days". Yeah, after they swore the new PC would fix it!

GET YOUR MONEY BACK FAST!!!!!!

0 Kudos
neoxzin
1 Copper

Hello Sog,

I am also the victim of the dell's uber studio 15 designed by a 5th grader...is it possible that u could provide sequential pictures of how u solved the hardware problem....or it would be even more awesome that u could make a small video of u doing it.

0 Kudos
shackrock
1 Copper

This thread completey describes my experience so far...

I just receieved the Studio 1537 as a replacement PC for my Vostro (about 2 weeks ago)...  Upon receiving it, I noticed this EJECT button issue.

Tech support told me it was a known issue, and are sending me a replacement hindge cover.  We'll see if it works, I may tape up the ribbon cable too, while I'm in there.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but am familiar with the randomly ejecting cd/dvd drive issue since I bought my Studio 15 in December 2008.  So far my laptop has been replaced once, a fourth technician will be arriving soon to replace drive and touch panels again (and missing upgrade parts I discovered missing from my replacement laptop sent in March- bluetooth and intel wireless), and I have spent countless hours on the phone with numerous Dell techs updating drivers, bios, software, etc.  I am amazed that running your laptop without the battery is an acceptable solution.  Who was this 'verified' by?

I demanded compensation or replacement value, but they refuse to do anything other than throw more parts and time (mine) at the problem.  Has anyone been successful in a compensation agreement?   A real slap in the face from Dell was the suggestion that I should purchase an extended warranty.  Since Dell has so far been unable to resolve the issue, their warranty is meaningless.  I have requested repeatedly what happens when my existing warranty is over and this issue is still unresolved; what happens to me as the consumer with a faulty/defective piece of equipment?  No one at Dell is willing to guarranty me; however, I was 'lucky' to notice my upgrade parts in my replacement were missing within my warranty period, otherwise it would have been ignored.  There should be a lemon law for this. 

I was faced with needing to replace a desktop pc last night.  Six months ago, I looked forward to another Dell, now I could not even consider them due to this miserable experience.  Reading the posts here, I am sorry, but selfishly pleased to learn I am not the only one with this issue.  I am utterly amazed to read in these posts that Dell is deleting posts which express disapproval with their service and products.  They have a reponsibility to their existing customers for compensation and their future customersd by eliminating known defective equipment from their product line.  They have probably spent far more cash in their efforts to fix my studio than they orginally earned on the sale.

My issue has gone unresolved for over five months; and I have zero confidence in this company who has refused to earn it.  Anyone else ever going to purchase another Dell?

Regards,
Bryan

shackrock
1 Copper

My post was removed, here it is without some parts:

Bryan I can't agree with you more.

Before I received my replacement Studio (that has the eject key problem, of course), I had a Vostro.  It took me 2 months to get my replacement PC - computerless during that time.  Any hour on the phone EVERY DAY, sometimes more.  They also charged me $400 for this, don't ask me why I paid it, I regret it every day.  I've filed a few BBB complaints, and never receieved a response.

When my studio first came, the battery was HISSING, and the PSU brick was CLICKING... crazy right???  Not with dell.  I will never buy one again.  What will I do when this new hinge cover doesn't fix the eject key problem? 

0 Kudos