Highlighted
ThatGuy1
2 Bronze

Re: Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

Here you go:

Problem: Media Control Buttons Disfunction on Dell Studio 1535/1536/1537

Description: Media control buttons on Dell Studio 1535/1536/1537 systems may report intermittent disfunction issues.

The typical failures may include:
1. Media control buttons automatically light on.
2. Optical disk automatically ejected.
3. Some media control buttons have no response.

Solution:
Update firmware for system hinge cover.

Create a bootable CD:

NOTE: Please make sure you have CD imaging software installed in your system, which can create a bootable CD based on ISO image format.

1. Download the firmware installation file FM7_X0D.ISO, and save it in your system.
2. Run the CD imaging software to create a bootable CD based on this FM7_X0D.ISO file.

Take Roxio Creator as an example for the procedure.

1. Insert a blank writable CD in your system.
2. Open Roxio Creator.
3. Click File menu.
4. Go to New Project / Copy / Burn Disc Image to Disc.
5. Click Browse.
6. Add this FM7_X0D.ISO file from the location you saved.
7. Click button to continue, till complete the CD creation.

Flash firmware:
NOTE: Please make sure A/C power is being used while updating the firmware.

1. Insert this CD in your system.
2. Reboot the system, and enter one-time boot menu by pressing F12.
3. Boot from the CD drive.
4. The CD will auto-run and update the firmware.
5. Once completed, screen will show pass and Flash Successful.
6. Shut down the system by holding the power button down.
7. Remove A/C power cable and battery and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.
8. Replug in A/C power cable and battery to continue normal operation.

NOTE: Please make sure to remove A/C power and battery and hold down the power button for at-least 10 seconds once firmware update completed.

Download Link: http://csmicfool.com/files/FW7_X0D.ISO

I have just tested the link and it DOES work.

Highlighted
non-vtec
1 Copper

someone should sticky this information and have the file saved/hosted for permanent future use for customers. i applied that firmware fix well over a year ago now and it's been working perfectly ever since. i still cant believe dell will not officially release that firmware fix on their support page.

for customer service and cost it makes sense to have ALL the people experiencing those issues to try that simple re-flash first before spending thousands of dollars throwing away replacement parts and sending out service technician to try and fix these issues.

hopefully they newer models do not have these issues.

Highlighted
xavierhoost
1 Copper

don't blow ur mind its only a firmware actualize

download the FW7_X0D.ISO

and in a blank cd write a image (can use roxio)

tools

- write image on cd

- and select the downloaded item .iso

- write it

-then whit the writed disk and ur lap conected to the ac power

restart it and get start whit the dvd rom

let go run and when finished a lot of words "pass" and a somthing like actualised

then take out the disk whit FN f10

and shut down ur lap

then disconect the ac power and the batery,

conect the batery and the ac power then get on and its all

LUCK!! 

Highlighted
Emm.Weller
1 Copper

That's right:

1) Start / Run... / MSCONFIG

2) Click on the Startup tab

3) Expand the width of the "Command" column so you can better see which folder each one uses, or move your mouse over each item and wait until you see a tooltip with the full description.

4) Uncheck whichever ones you do NOT wish to have run (I am trying everything Dell-related at the moment).

5) Click OK

I have the similar question, Why your way does not work for me?
illlogic
1 Copper

Thanks, but can someone repost the right link for this download or send it to me please?  The link posted seems to be broken.

(there goes my eject button again... :()  I have been putting this off for far too long and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!  Does anyone have this download to fix this "control panel thingy"??  Much thanks...

Highlighted
ThatGuy1
2 Bronze

I have uploaded it here https://rapidshare.com/files/2226776336/FW7_X0D.ISO 

Although I suspect Dell will probably remove the link soon, Please don't or at least host this on an official Dell server so people can continue to download this firmware in the future.

Highlighted
krypebud
2 Iron

Hey everyone.  I took down the site that had that file hosted a while back and completely forgot about it.  Here is an updated link that should be permanent:

http://jacobbaron.net/files/FW7_X0D.ISO

If anyone has trouble with that link, please let me know.  I want to repeat that this firmware update was legitimately given to me by DELL and is not a hack of any kind.  It took MANY hours on the phone with several people on a different continent, 4 replaced media panels, replaced mobo, replaced + upgraded w/ new one, and the problem persisted until I finally someone who knew how to file a simple bug report w/ the escalation team.  They had a patch for me within about 2 days.

Good Luck - it's actually a great laptop once you get past that annoyance.  Almost a shame they completely redesigned it because of this issue.

Highlighted
illlogic
1 Copper

Thanks, fellaz, I've turned my studio back on 2 or 3 times and have seen no signs of it as of yet!   Hopefully it stays that way, right?  Lol

Highlighted
ITGuysRock
1 Copper

I am amazed this thread has been going on for almost 3 years.  It is great to see the community supporting a product flaw that Dell has for the most part ignored.

Highlighted
Madmyke
1 Copper

I totally agree, Dell was really  bad in reaction, bad on customer contact, follow up, services for this issue. really not a good image for them.

Maybe my next laptop will nopt be a dell due to this client attitude.