Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 23:00

Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

Evening all,

The touch sensitive eject button on my new Studio 15 laptop appears to be stuck on. When I reboot the laptop, the media control lights flash back and forth as normal. However, the CD drive immediately ejects and the eject button light stays permanently on. This all happens the second the laptop comes on - long before it boots into Vista. This makes me suspect a hardware rather than software issue.

None of the other touch sensitive media controls work.

I've tried cleaning the button, checking for dirt under and on the button and rebooting the laptop. I also rested it overnight.

I only got the laptop on Friday.

Any ideas?

46 Posts

May 17th, 2011 20:00

Hey everyone.  I took down the site that had that file hosted a while back and completely forgot about it.  Here is an updated link that should be permanent:

http://jacobbaron.net/files/FW7_X0D.ISO

If anyone has trouble with that link, please let me know.  I want to repeat that this firmware update was legitimately given to me by DELL and is not a hack of any kind.  It took MANY hours on the phone with several people on a different continent, 4 replaced media panels, replaced mobo, replaced + upgraded w/ new one, and the problem persisted until I finally someone who knew how to file a simple bug report w/ the escalation team.  They had a patch for me within about 2 days.

Good Luck - it's actually a great laptop once you get past that annoyance.  Almost a shame they completely redesigned it because of this issue.

14 Posts

May 17th, 2011 22:00

Thanks, fellaz, I've turned my studio back on 2 or 3 times and have seen no signs of it as of yet!   Hopefully it stays that way, right?  Lol

7 Posts

May 18th, 2011 08:00

I am amazed this thread has been going on for almost 3 years.  It is great to see the community supporting a product flaw that Dell has for the most part ignored.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2011 11:00

I totally agree, Dell was really  bad in reaction, bad on customer contact, follow up, services for this issue. really not a good image for them.

Maybe my next laptop will nopt be a dell due to this client attitude.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2011 11:00

I totally agree, Dell was really  bad in reaction, bad on customer contact, follow up, services for this issue. really not a good image for them.

Maybe my next laptop will nopt be a dell due to this client attitude.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2011 12:00

I really dont care what Dell "think" about rules and certainly not afraid about any kind of "pressure", My message is honnest and NOT injurious.

I am a CUSTOMER of Dell this was my second DELL computer, the choice of DELL is quite simple, or they accept advice on their customer services and tried HONNESTLY to convince me to CONTINUE a DEll customer, or they dont and they just try to delete message or try to threaten me, and I will certainly not be convinced. They will lose a customer and they will "convince" me to change of Brand and to convince all my friends (Trust is something you cannot sell or buy).

The goal of my comment was not to attack Dell just to confirm that for THIS particular issue, many independant forum agree that the floow up was realy not a top performance.  There is no shame for Dell to admit a failure, I can understand that it is difficult for any Brand to be 100% reliable anytime. To be honnest with customer is ONE WAY to make this a  sing of respect for Dell customer's.

The choixe od reputation is on Dell side, not mine.  There are many Brand of laptops.

Kind regards to Dell and all readers here.

1 Message

September 27th, 2011 09:00

Wow. I bought my Studio 1535 three years ago. I noticed this defect then and I went through customer support and told I had to send the laptop and then it would take several weeks before it was returned. I lived with the problem all this time and I never thought that it would be general to all models.

It's great that I found this thread. I'm going to try the fix later when I am home. It's great to see people like Bill that isn't so out of touch with the customers and user base. Really, Dell's customer support is the greatest atrocity in modern times. It should be scrapped as it really does nothing more than infuriate the customer more.

13 Posts

September 28th, 2011 15:00

I also bought my Studio 1535 three years ago, Oct of 2008. As you will read in my previous posts I had all kinds of problems with my laptop generally related to the media panel. Dell support was no help but the firmware upgrade that was posted here solved all the problems. I am not a heavy laptop user but I would say I use it once a week. The firmware upgrade went smooth and quick and I have not had a problem since. I was even getting a fatal blue screen before when I booted up with a annoying beeping noise. I have been very happy with my laptop since I applied the firmware upgrade but was very very frustrated when this was going on and the support was not good. Good luck with the upgrade and I hope this takes care of it for you!

7 Posts

April 6th, 2012 13:00

Krypebud posted this link,  I was able to get it to work...

jacobbaron.net/.../FW7_X0D.ISO

4 years is a good run for a laptop and for this thread but I think its time to move on.  Good job Dell on keeping this thread up all this time.

46 Posts

The link works- what problem are you having exactly?

Being hosted from my server.

14 Posts

Well, at least they did THAT for us, huh??? Baa haaa haa haa!

1 Message

The current links for the firmware do not seem to be working still.  Has there been any update to this?  My touch panel JUST started to fail (leaving the eject button lit up and all other buttons unresponsive) after 4 years of faithful operation.  I haven't tried some of the other recommended trouble shooting actions yet (removing battery and discharching all power in the unit) but I would really like to be able to update the firmware.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

14 Posts

April 6th, 2012 14:00

I wouldn't worry.  I think he meant he had never updated with this patch and finally it started happening to him.  Can you confirm this?  (to the person having the problem)

I wouldn't want it to start happening to me either.. 

April 6th, 2012 14:00

I am getting worried now that after a few years since I applied the firmware fix I am going to start seeing this issue again, maybe the thing they changed in the updated firmware is time flawed? Seeing as though for 4 years you have no issues up until now.

April 7th, 2012 08:00

I hope so. As apart from the issues with the touch buttons when I first got it, the laptop its self has turned out to be ok apart from a few wear and tear issues on the plastic casing.

My optical drive no longer read or burns CD's of any type and struggles to read DVD's. Although I have other machines around the house that I can use for that, its not really that big of a problem these days if.you.know.what.I.mean.xvid

No Events found!