Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2009 06:00

Studio XPS 13 Media Keys

I recently noticed that my multimedia keys no longer function.  They are still backlit, but just stare at me.  I would uninstall the keyboard software like the support pages says, but I do not know what the keyboard software is on this system since none of the options listed are on my computer. 

If I knew what the software was and uninstalled / reinstalled it would that work?

5 Posts

June 9th, 2009 15:00

Hello roscoe790, there has been another thread for this made with more info/discussion (http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19264762/19499991.aspx#19499991).  There does not seem to be a dell approved fix of this problem. And as i state in my post on the other thread, i believe this to be hardware releated and not software (due to complaints of this problem from users running on linux, Windows 7/XP/ and Vista and a logically reason for the happening). I have a little "work around" solution that i use. You can read about it on the that thread and i hope it works out for ya.

3 Posts

June 20th, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem.  I agree, it looks like a motherboard/hardware issue since it will work fine on one startup and be completely out of order on the next boot up.  Dell Support has agreed to replace the motherboard and media pad to see to attempt to resolve this problem.

1 Message

August 1st, 2009 11:00

The only fix I have found to work is to pop the battery out and put it back in.  Works for about a week, then goes out again...

January 11th, 2010 07:00

This is a frustrating issue and has bothered me since I got my laptop in August.

My media keys rarely work, they are about 90% of the time not even lit/responsive. Sometimes they might decide to work, but I usually give them a couple hours before the buttons become unresponsive (but still lit). Then a couple hours later (or a reboot) the lights are gone altogther for another couple months.

Some 'solutions' I've found on the web - none have worked for me but have apparently worked for others

- Re/install/update Dell Quickset

- unplug A/C, shut down, remove battery, hold power button for 10 sec, reinsert batter and A/C power and start up.  - This is only a temporary fix though.

I've read that many people have had their laptop repaired by Dell, but from what I've read, the problem persists

If anybody finds another solution, then could you let me know?  I'd really like my eject key and volume control back!

No Events found!