Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2009 23:00

Studio XPS 13" Audio Popping/Slow-Motion

I don't quite understand what it is with these new laptops that are coming out nowadays. It's as if the companies selling them don't test them fully at all. I don't make random accusations, I speak purely from first-hand, personal experience.

About two months ago I bought myself the 13" Macbook Aluminum. I never liked the Mac OS much, so I installed Vista Home Premium using Boot Camp. First thing I noticed was, when I played any music, videos, or games, the audio would at regular intervals play in a slow-motion manner, and distinct popping noises can be heard in the background. So I did some research and found out that it was due to the Broadcom Wireless N network card's driver having some compatibility issues. After updating the driver, the problem was solved. But I wasn't happy with the way the trackpad worked in Vista, so I returned the Macbook.

Now two months later, here I am with this very sexy Studio XPS laptop. I have to admit, the quality of these Dell computers (at least aesthetically) has dramatically improved. I can walk around with this thing in my hands with as much confidence as if I were to walk around with the sleek and sexy Macbook Aluminum. But as I turned on my Studio XPS, and I'm talking within the first hour of receiving this laptop, I came across two major problems.

1) My optical drive was definitely defective. It makes INSANELY loud grinding noises when any disk is put in, and at times the disk would stop spinning completely during an installation, and the installation would either pause or abort.

2) To my surprise, really, to my surprise, this Dell has the same problem my Macbook Alunimum had when running in Vista. The audio makes popping noises, and at regular intervals it would play in a slow-motion manner. So once again I Googled around and wanted to look for some answers, but nothing useful came up. So I called Dell Technical Support, and the lady was extremely patient and professional, but she wasn't able to solve the problem for me. So here I am, with a $2000 investment that I am not completely satisfied with.

Dell is sending me a box within the next few days so I can send this Studio XPS back for repairs. For some reason I really doubt the audio problem will be taken care of after it comes back to me. The optical drive should be easy, if they decide to swap a new (functional) one for me.

If anyone has the same audio problem that I am experiencing, and has found a way to take care of the problem without such compromises as turning off WiFi, please feel free to comment and share.

And lastly, on a side note, if anybody cares, I was extremely disappointed in the time it took for me to get this laptop from Dell. I initially placed my order on January 19, 2009. I received the laptop on February 20, 2009. It took an entire month for the laptop to finally come, and now I'm looking at another 20 days or so for this thing to go through shipping and repairs. Seriously thinking about getting a refund on this Dell and going for something else now.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 10:00

There should be an updated BIOS rev coming in the August release block for audio latency issues on the Studio XPS 13. For the E6400, I would suggest two things: update your wireless LAN driver first, and if that does not resolve, start a new thread for your system model.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2009 18:00

I am having the same problem mate!

Got my studio XPS 13 yesterday after I ordered on the 18th, gotta say I loved it until the sound problems. I first though its cheap speakers, but when I plugin my headphones it DOESNT go away, so there is certainly some software issue here / conflict.

Now I am debating returning it and getting a plane old XPS and wait six months or so for this model when Dell gets around on TESTING what they sell. You wouldnt expect this from a global Giant like Dell.

When I spend 2000$ on something, I expect NO problems

February 25th, 2009 00:00

I bought a Studio XPS 13 at bestbuy, really good deal. I got it to use for music production. I figured this model would be geared towards that. With the name studio I thought that this laptop had been built to support heavy multimedia applications like music and video editing.

But ohh no. This baby can not even play back simple audio files without pops and cracks int the audio. I have googled around and there a number of forums out there where music producers who got studio xps laptops are trying to figure out how to fix this. There is even one in the COMMUNITY, search "Studio 1535: Chronic DPC Latency Spikes..."

I downloaded and ran the DPC Latency Checker Tool and it clearly indicates that there are spikes in latency that completely corresponds with the pops and cracks in the sound. The tool basically checks a systems abillity to handle realtime audio and video streams. The tool says I should disable devices and see how that affect the latency but I haven't managed the get the spikes to go away.

From all that I have gathered from reading forums there is a problem with the driver for the dell wireless 1515 minicard that causes the audio to pop and crackle. So far I have not found anyone reporting about getting the problem solved. I have not called support but after reading about all the people having this issue and not getting any help from support I don't think I will waste my time. I have found people that have solved the issue on other studio models by installing an unsigned driver for the wireless card. This driver is not available for the 1515 wireless card though.

Dell NEEDS TO SERIOUSLY DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE and report back on how to fix this otherwise a big number of these machines will come back.

I will keep a close eye on all the forums and if nothing has happened within a week I will return the laptop. I simply cannot risk to pass my return window and be stuck with a laptop that is useless for music production. I really love the laptop otherwise and would be bummed to have to return it due to a stupid issue like this that should not even have passed the test lab at Dell.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2009 01:00

I don't know if I should be happy or sad hearing that so many other people are experiencing the same problem. Happy to know that I'm not alone. Sad to know that there is currently no solution to the audio problem. Dell sent me my return for repair box, I really doubt there is even a point to it now that it seems like NOBODY has found a solution to this problem. There new generation Wireless N cards are really causing a problem... I would like to see some form of a response from a Dell representatitive in this post regarding this issue.

February 25th, 2009 09:00

Yeah, something indicating if they are working on it.

To clarify, in my case it is affecting all audio software using ASIO drivers. I am using ASIO4ALL since the sound card in the laptop does not support ASIO and all audio production software requires it to run smoothly. Running anything like Ableton Live or Cubase with even only one instrument or audio track (basically no cpu load) causes the audio to drop out exactly where the DPC Latency Checker reports a spike of high latency over 2 seconds. I do hear pops and crackles on normal winamp mp3 playback but they are not asbad as when using pro audio software.

The tool can be found here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Heres another thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=348918

And one more: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?p=495311    (Check out posting #25)

I have tried disabling devices with no luck and am worried that it is a permanent hardware problem that they cannot solve.

HEY DELL REPS!

Is someone at dell working on this? Is there any hope?

February 25th, 2009 16:00

Awesome that you got it to work!!!

Have you run the DPC Latency Checker to verify that everything looks good?

Also, what software were you running when you came across this problem? Was it using ASIO drivers? What soundcard are you using? (internal, external)

Would appreciate this info very much!

Enjoy your working laptop!

2 Posts

February 25th, 2009 17:00

i didnt run the dpc thingy. i was having problems even listening to my music in zune even with nothing else running in the foreground, but with the wireless on. its nvidia sound card i think. I just recieved an email from dell saying that they have deleted my earler post and gave me this reason....

"we have removed the post described above because it violates the Dell Community Terms of Service"

So they do monitor the forums, just not to give out solutions.

For those of you still having problems, update your drivers to the latest version as the drivers out of box are about a year old. if you still have problems, post here, i will get the replies and will try to help you out as well. Dont forget the windows (microsoft) updates as well.

Hope you get to enjoy your lappy!

1 Message

February 26th, 2009 11:00

slowdown117
Notebook Consultant
from another forum said:

"
The one thing that I may be able to help you with is your DPC latency. As you stated, the audio clicks, pops, and dropouts are indeed a result of horrifying DPC latency. The culprit - your Dell wireless card.

All of the Dell branded wireless cards are made by Broadcom. Apparently Broadcom doesn't care that their wireless adapters are guilty of outrageous DPC spikes and are ruining people's audio. They don't see this as a problem and neither does Dell. Don't bother talking to them about it. They will play stupid and try every tactic to distract you.

You can disable that thing and your monster spikes that are killing your audio should go away. But the permanent solution is pull that piece of garbage out of your machine and install an Intel wireless adapter. Doesn't matter if it's the Intell 3495 or the 4695. They are both awesome and are superior for DPC problems.

I wish people would read these forums before they buy. There are numerous threads that talk about this DPC problem with Broadcom. I myself and others have advised that people steer clear of the Dell brand wireless.

Some users have reported some relief from DPC spikes with updated drivers, but it is my opinion that don't even bother. After extensive research I have concluded that it's best to just not buy Dell's wireless adapters (If and when they correct this issue, they would be just fine to purchase). Intell adapters do not ever suffer from DPC spikes at this time.

Disable that pile of crud and see if your spikes disappear. It will be horrifying to know that you do this and nothing changes. But this mainboard that Dell put in that machine might be a real gem
"

and i disable the dell wirless card and use an external one and guess what?... problem solved

as simple as that

hope it helps you too

3 Posts

March 7th, 2009 16:00

Wow, I wish I would have looked through this Forum before I bought by Studio XPS 13.

I have had mine for a week now and I was very impressed with my first look at it. But it did not take me very long to start discovering a few issues with this machine. 

The first one I found was the screen, It looks like it`s made of glass but in fact it`s plastic and in my case it keeps popping out of the frame. I guess it`s only attached with little plastic pegs to the frame and for some reason I need to keep puching back in at the top and buttom of the screen.

The second problem I encountered was Vista`s sleep mode seemed to crash extensively on this machine. My Toshiba Satelitte A200 did the same but not as often after a fresh install. The computer hung 3 or 4 times when I first got it and I was setting it up. I must admit that it has not done it again for the last 6 days.

I have also had the problem with the sound slowing down and hissing and popping. I will follow the advices from others and change the wireless card as soon as Dell sends me my replacement for this one... Yes, I was lucky enough to get a follow up call from Dell 5 Days after I received the unit. They wanted to ensure that the unit was received in good working condition and also asked if everything was O.K. I told them about the 3 issues and they right away offered to send me a new Laptop. I agreed and now I am waiting.

I`l play with the new one and if the sound issue is still there, which I think it should since they are sending an identical computer, I`ll try to get them to pay for the new wireless card. Worst case scenario, I`ll buy my own.

Thanks to everyone for the much needed insight on the Audio issue.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2009 15:00

I would like to add to my last post that I have resolved the Popping and hissing by updating the WirelessLAN Driver.

1 Message

March 9th, 2009 12:00

Sorry to see the hassles DoCoMo has had.   I've found the same popping/crackling sounds with my very new XPS One 24 (essentially a very overgrown laptop).

I thought it was just the Video Disc until I noticed the problem occurring on top of the normal  boot-up sounds Windows (Vista 23 Ultimate) makes.  I am sure I did not hear any such crackling on the previous boots in the 6 days I've had the machine.

I've just started testing the wireless N capabilites since last night which seems to coincide with the appearance of the noises.  When i next move the machine within reach of my longest Ethernet cable I'll be sure to test for the sound problem again.

Best of luck to everyone.

XPS One 24,  Q8200 2.3GHz,  NVidia 9600M GT, 4 GB 800MHz, Realtech Audio with Creative Audigy SW, Standard Wireless KB and Mouse, Broadcom 802.11n, Broadcom BT.

Update 03/11/2009: Confirmed DoCoMo's conclusion that WiFi is interfering with the sound function.  By Disabling the 802.11n adapter via the Control Panel, the prominent crackling/popping  sound disappeared from DVD and Blu-Ray playback.

What a disappointment.  I may also return my XPS One (after more than 1 month waiting for the delivery).  Such quality problems might help explain the long delayed delivery several of us are reporting.

14 Posts

March 11th, 2009 10:00

I have also had the same problems with pops and crackling with audio on my XPS 13.

I've been disabling drivers and updating everything for two days trying to find the cause of these DPC spikes. Has anyone heard anything definitive regarding these issues? From what I've been reading it sounds as though the NVIDIA cards may be the source of the issue....but is there any way to resolve this or should I just return the machine?

March 11th, 2009 11:00

I returned my machine!

I have heard that Dell does not recognize this a problem and does not see it as enough reason to return it if you are outside your return window.

I could not take the chance of beeing stuck with my Studio XPS 13 since it does not deliver for media production apps that require realtime streaming.

I bought mine at Bestbuy and brought it in and ran the DPC Latency Checker in front of a Geeks Squad guy and he agreed to take it back and even waived the rrestocking fee.

I am sure this laptop AND vista will mature eventually but right now it does not seem like a good choice or combination.

3 Posts

March 13th, 2009 17:00

Did you get the slim and light LED monitor or is it the default monitor /w 2mp camera?

16 Posts

May 1st, 2009 14:00

Anyone know if this is fixed yet? If not, I will need to call Dell and return it most likely. Sigh :(

No Events found!