Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2009 23:00

Studio XPS 13" Audio Popping/Slow-Motion

I don't quite understand what it is with these new laptops that are coming out nowadays. It's as if the companies selling them don't test them fully at all. I don't make random accusations, I speak purely from first-hand, personal experience.

About two months ago I bought myself the 13" Macbook Aluminum. I never liked the Mac OS much, so I installed Vista Home Premium using Boot Camp. First thing I noticed was, when I played any music, videos, or games, the audio would at regular intervals play in a slow-motion manner, and distinct popping noises can be heard in the background. So I did some research and found out that it was due to the Broadcom Wireless N network card's driver having some compatibility issues. After updating the driver, the problem was solved. But I wasn't happy with the way the trackpad worked in Vista, so I returned the Macbook.

Now two months later, here I am with this very sexy Studio XPS laptop. I have to admit, the quality of these Dell computers (at least aesthetically) has dramatically improved. I can walk around with this thing in my hands with as much confidence as if I were to walk around with the sleek and sexy Macbook Aluminum. But as I turned on my Studio XPS, and I'm talking within the first hour of receiving this laptop, I came across two major problems.

1) My optical drive was definitely defective. It makes INSANELY loud grinding noises when any disk is put in, and at times the disk would stop spinning completely during an installation, and the installation would either pause or abort.

2) To my surprise, really, to my surprise, this Dell has the same problem my Macbook Alunimum had when running in Vista. The audio makes popping noises, and at regular intervals it would play in a slow-motion manner. So once again I Googled around and wanted to look for some answers, but nothing useful came up. So I called Dell Technical Support, and the lady was extremely patient and professional, but she wasn't able to solve the problem for me. So here I am, with a $2000 investment that I am not completely satisfied with.

Dell is sending me a box within the next few days so I can send this Studio XPS back for repairs. For some reason I really doubt the audio problem will be taken care of after it comes back to me. The optical drive should be easy, if they decide to swap a new (functional) one for me.

If anyone has the same audio problem that I am experiencing, and has found a way to take care of the problem without such compromises as turning off WiFi, please feel free to comment and share.

And lastly, on a side note, if anybody cares, I was extremely disappointed in the time it took for me to get this laptop from Dell. I initially placed my order on January 19, 2009. I received the laptop on February 20, 2009. It took an entire month for the laptop to finally come, and now I'm looking at another 20 days or so for this thing to go through shipping and repairs. Seriously thinking about getting a refund on this Dell and going for something else now.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 21st, 2009 16:00

Hello, all.

I am going to do some investigating on this issue and escalate it to the appropriate groups within Dell. First I would like to attempt to establish a baseline. If you meet the criteria below, please send me a private message with your ship to address, name and service tag. I will get with you offline and do some 'sperimentin'. I will keep the thread updated and post the final resolution, once it becomes available. Thanks for your patience.

• you have a Broadcom WLAN card.
  • you have updated the WLAN drivers from the Dell site- not from Broadcom or anywhere else... for now.
  • you have updated to the latest web posted BIOS version for your system.
  • you have updated to the latest web posted video drivers from Dell or anywhere else- include the driver version if you got it from anywhere but Dell.
  • you either get latency spikes in DPC, AND/OR you get popping or skipping audio.

35 Posts

May 21st, 2009 16:00

THANKS Bill!  I meet this criteria, I'll PM you when I get home to my 1340, I can't remember my service tag # right now.

FWIW, I never really clarified something as (IMO) it relates to the Broadcom WLAN driver... 

On my machine while running DPCLat.exe and not much else, in addition to that unrelenting DPC spike up around 4000 every 5th bar, I ALSO get, about once every minute or so, a single gigantic red spike that goes past the top of the chart (16000 +).  While playing an ordinary audio stream in Windows Media Player with default settings, I don't hear the audio pop every 5 seconds, but I DO hear a nasty pop-crackle when the gigantic spike happens.  When I disable WLAN, that gigantic spike goes away. 

So I presume that gigantic DPC spike is what the alternate Broadcom WLAN driver fixes, and some users in this thread are content with that. 

But we desperately need to get rid of that consistent spike to 4000 every few seconds too.  It's making "low latency" audio impossible, which is critical to some of us.

Until yesterday, user "trz303" was possibly the only one to see NO red bars on a Studio XPS, he accomplished that by forcing unsupported Windows XP install and then suspending ACPI.sys thread using Proc Explorer (can't be done in Vista).   

Yesterday, "syphic" managed to see NO red bars a different way - he updated video\wlan drivers and BIOS but his machine has ATI RADEON HD 3670.  MY machine has Nvidia GeForce 9400 M G. 

My current theory  - ACPI.sys is polling same IRQ(s) that the video card is using, every 5 seconds the conflict causes DPC latency.  On default Windows generic vid driver, same IRQ(s), same problem.  On ATI video card, latest driver is using different IRQs therefore no more conflict and DPC spikes go away.

????        

8 Posts

May 21st, 2009 23:00

Recently updated to the new Bios A07 and installed new catalyst drivers as well as new Intel Wifi Drivers that just appeared on the Dell Website as well. Ran DPC latency checker and voila no more red or yellow bars at all!!!

Here is my setup
Studio XPS 16 (1640) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB) w/2.0MP Integrated Webcam
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
90W AC Adapter
125V Power Cord
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)
Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)
512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670
16 inch Edge-to-Edge HD Widescreen WLED LCD (1366x768)
320 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
6 Cell Primary Battery

I'm posting to confirm syphic's findings, updating to BIOS to version A07 solved the DPC latency issue on my laptop. I didn't update the graphics or Wifi drivers.

I have a Studio XPS 16 with identical specs, and I've been using Thesycon DPC Latency Checker for analysis. With BIOS ver. A06 I was getting 4000 microsecond red spikes every 4 seconds. I updated the BIOS to version A07 and all of the red spikes are gone, nothing but green bars. Average latency is now about 90 microseconds and max is about 500.

35 Posts

May 22nd, 2009 09:00

Thanks mjbrilla!  So something did change in the BIOS A07!  As I've said, it didn't fix my red spikes, but I have some different hardware in my 1340.   You have the same Intel 5100 and ATI Radeon HD as syphic?   

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2009 18:00

Thanks mjbrilla!  So something did change in the BIOS A07!  As I've said, it didn't fix my red spikes, but I have some different hardware in my 1340.   You have the same Intel 5100 and ATI Radeon HD as syphic?   

Yep, identical!

I realize that this may not help you directly, but I'm hoping that the confirmation will help Dell Support to track down the issue and come up with a solution for everyone.

14 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 11:00

I can also confirm that it is not the wirelss card causing the problem.

Suspicion lies increasingly with the Nvidia cards......let's hope for a driver update.

35 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 10:00

I just wanted to update that I've been testing some stuff offline with Bill B from Dell, and he HAS escalated this internally.  Don't know the exact root cause of the DPC latency problem yet, but yeah, we confirmed it's not the Broadcom VS Intel wireless card.  Sounds like this could take a while, but I'm more confident that a real, permanent fix will happen... eventually.  

QUEDRO, have you tried the DPC Latency Checker tool?  If so, do you get the repeating red spikes?  Does your XPS 16 have NVidia graphics, or ATI?  Have you updated all the drivers and the BIOS from the dell website? 

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 16:00

I have ATI graphics. Idid not checke DPC Latency Checker tool (I will later) but I can say that updated everything. BIOS A05 to A07, all multimedia drivers, IDT Audio Software. Same prob. One thing what helped a bit, is I removed IDT Software and left only Vista drivers for audi. Now I do no get pauses (IDT doens't manage my audio card) but Music from Winamp for instance foes to external speakers but notification sounds from other application like Google Talk, Skype etc are played by internal speakers. Weird I know...that's how it is. Biggest problem as I can see are drivers and IDT Audio software.

6 Posts

Ok DPC results:

Absolut Maximum latency: ~1300 microseconds

Current latency: playes arround 100-200 microsec.

So, medium is about 400 microsec.

1 Message

hi,

I don't think it's nvidia problem - I have E6500 with Intel GFX and the same problem. WiFi, card reader, balanced power, latest drivers, latest bios etc - nothing works. I have the same issue with internal soundcard as well as with external Novation X-Station. And for me Dell it's useless because of that. I wonder why it took over a year for Dell to take care about something that makes this laptops useless for so many people :(

I've already told several people NOT to buy Dell because of that (they bought Toshiba and Lenovo - it works just as promised...)

regards,
marcin

6 Posts

I am very dissapointed. I used to recommend DELLs laptops. But now I see that DELL can't make top technology laptops. I paid big money for a toy a not a reliable computer.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 21:00

Same here, got this laptop two weeks ago, the main issue is with the DPC latency, then when the Windows audio service stops working, and the latest one is that I cannot install any windows updates without getting the BSOD right after restarting the machine, has somebody else experienced this as well?

The bios A07, did fix the DPC latency issues with the Studio Xps 16, but this is since the studio xps 16 uses a different card than ours, they use ati and that might be the issue.

I experienced before some spikes on the audio while browsing through large files on the SD card reader, but then i did a fresh install of windows vista and all its drivers, and worked correctly while navigating, despite of all that, the DPC latency still showing spikes, same as stated by everyone else in the forum.

I cannot work and listen to a simple mp3 file without getting bottlenecks or spikes on the audio.

BTW has anybody been able to install directx 9??? Eg. to play Call of duty 4?

I get BSOD after installing directx 9, it's supposed that they can coexist as well, isn't it?

I really hope this will get fixed soon with a A08 bios or somethin' I'm thinking about returning it to dell...

16 Posts

June 4th, 2009 05:00

Still have this issue on XPS 13. I have an open ticket with Dell but they haven't responded in about a month. I cannot believe I forked out extra cash to pay for a 'high performance' laptop, and I can't play a song in iTunes while browsing the web.  How in the world can Dell release a line of new laptops with such a blatent problem? At first I thought I must have got unlucky with my specific specs but now I just don't know...

9 Posts

June 9th, 2009 08:00

Can we please get a firmware update or something, i'm getting dpc spikes every 5 seconds, and every 30 seconds they last about 14 seconds, and that's really annoying when i'm listening to music on my headphones!

9 Posts

June 16th, 2009 01:00

Well it definitely hasn’t been fixed with the latest A08 bios!!!!!

How about getting to work on fixing this issue Dell!?

No Events found!