Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2009 01:00

Studio XPS 1340 Freezing Frequently

My Dell Studio XPS 1340 is freezing almost 20-30 times a day. Either the screen will go blank or there will be some half blank screen and some colour lines.

I have to manually restart the system to make it correct. Does any one have any idea on this problem

1 Message

April 21st, 2009 16:00

What BIOS version is currently loaded. I read reviews of many issues with the early 1340s that have been corrected with BIOS, driver and firmware updates. I'd ensure that all of your components are up to date.

13 Posts

May 11th, 2009 20:00

I actually have been looking to solutions for the same problem as you, and after some research around the discussions here I found these recommended updates:

1. BIOS A06 (the NEWEST one released)

2. nVidia GeForce 9400M G driver v178.98-A05 (R215056)

3. Dell_System-Software_A02_R214475

4. IT8512 CIR Receiver (R196531)

5. CREATIVE-LABS_INTEGRATED-WEB_A05_R207341

Hope that helps you out and solves your freezing problem.

26 Posts

June 10th, 2009 04:00

I've tried all of these and it still locks up. I've now re-installed the OS (full format, reinstall, all updates then latest drivers) 8 TIMES!!! It's actually so unstable that the last time I attempted this it took 5 hours of repeated trying to keep the thing up long enough to actually install anything at all.

I have a horrible suspicion that this is actually a design flaw rather than anything to do with individual components.

Dell have replaced the HDD once already (and put the wrong one in I found out this morning) and tomorrow will replace the HDD again and the motherboard and cooling systems.

Seriously, how many hoops do we have to jump through to get a full replacement of the whole laptop?

13 Posts

June 17th, 2009 23:00

Yeah, actually a month later I am now in the same boat as you.  Ive been in contact with Dell Support a few times now, and am now in the middle of some trouble shooting attempts. None have worked thus far and after a couple of remote connect sessions they are having me run the thing in safe mode with networking to see if it freezes still (so far it hasn't) however i dont quite see how this resolves my issues, as safe mode kills all of the features of which i bought this laptop for. They however reasoned out with me that instead it was my programs causing a conflict and that was the freezing source. I then told them that after a full system clean and wipe, and a reformat and reinstall of vista, the system still froze on me with only the os installed, so it cant be my programs.

anyways, here i am in safe mode, waiting for this to freeze up or something else happen until they call again tomorrow. I hope everyone else is having a bit better luck.

26 Posts

June 18th, 2009 02:00

Last week Dell agreed to a refund.Took a while to convince them.

Then on Friday they denied they'd ever offered a refund! An hour spent convincing them again.

Then on Monday they tried it on again, denying all knowledge of a refund. Eventually they agreed...again.

Then on Tuesday I found a reasonable temporary fix that's better than running it in safe mode but Dell refused to cancel the refund so they've just picked it up this morning :(

Wanna know the fix? Go to Device Manager and uninstall the nVidia graphics drivers. Let it use Windows default VGA drivers - voila, problem gone.

Of course now you can't harness the full power of the graphics card but it won't freeze. Depending on who you speak to in Dell, they are either denying there's any problem with any Studio XPS's (senior managers mostly) or letting slip there are PLENTY of returns due to nVidia issues (phone staff). I'm not sure whether it's the card, the drivers or both but there's definitely something rotten there. Of course these are complex beasts; it may well be that the same card and same drivers work on another manufacturer's machines perfectly in which case it's something to do with the integration Dell have done with their BIOS but the fact remains, the current configuration of nVidia hardware, software and Dell's BIOS do not work in many cases.

Some have also had some success by removing the nVidia ethernet drivers but I'm not convinced on that one.

Good luck! I'm off to buy...well I'm not sure yet but I know it won't be a Dell.

25 Posts

July 8th, 2009 03:00

I'm having the same issue. freezing up all the time. It heats up as well.

Im in touch with dell these days and they are trying to replace the mobo.

Has anyone found a cure for this? or is this simply a design fault? :( if thats the case i'm favouring a refund!!!!

10 Posts

July 11th, 2009 14:00

Get a system replacement, i did the same and touchwood the problem has not cam again

25 Posts

July 17th, 2009 06:00

well first, dell came and replaced the heatsink. the second time they replaced the motherboard.

the issue is still there. i'm guessing its something to do with nvidia sli configuration/nvidia drivers.

now dell is going to replace the motherboard(again!), the harddisk, the heatsink(again!) and the hard disk! and i asked them, "why dont you just replace whole laptop?" and they are telling me they wont/cant. i mean, i honestly dont know what to say at this point.

i dont want to disable any of the features, i mean whats the point of doing that? doesnt that defeat the point of paying for an "XPS"?

apart from my work/study stuff, i am a regular gamer. so SLI is important...otherwise its just sllooooooow.

i wonder if these dell engineers follows these threads...hmm.

19 Posts

November 7th, 2009 08:00

I have had the same problem.  Windows 7 error reporting repeatedly tells me that the nVidia driver for 9400M G is the source of my system hangs.  I have dutifully sent error reports to Microsoft and tried switching drivers many times.  My Dell XPS 13 system is basically the WORST computer I've ever owned so if Dell does not come up with a driver that really works soon, it'll be a long time before I ever think of buying Dell again.

Jim Lewis

No Events found!