Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2009 13:00

Studio XPS 16 - Keyboard Issue / Duplicate Characters

Hi folks

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing with a new Studio XPS 16 (40) laptop keyboard. Despite tweaking all the advanced settings re keyboard, inc key strike filters / "bounce", repeat and delay rates etc, every fifth or sixth word (or sometimes more frequently), I keep getting double strike / repeated chaaracters in words where they shouldn't be, unless I type REALLY slowly, almost one key at a time (versus my normal 4-6 finger typing! ;-).

I'm pretty sure it's not my typing style, as we have 4 other different Dell laptops, plus a desktop PC with separate keybooard, and it never happens on any. I've also never had this occur in the last 15 years in using a whole variety of different laptops and PC's in the office. Soo I think it must either be something to do with the physical construcction of the Studio XPS keboard or the software driver. But it's driving me crazy having to go back and correct every other word in e-mails and doocs constantly. Interested to know if anyone else has had this annoyance, and if so and they cured it, how!?

(Reposted due to the thought police having removed my first post for the most innocuous of very mild frustrateed expletives. So sue me for being somewhat irritated at having paid $2,500 for a brand new laptop which takes twice as long to type on as my old one, due to constant manual error coorrrectioon - as it was clearly built with zero quality ccontrol! - Perhapss Dell if you put as much effort into QA and integration testing as keyword search bots and administrator policing, these forums wouldn't be ABSOLUTELY chock full of disgruntled customers wondering if they should have bought a MAC instead).

Thaat aside, any views, experience or tips from other aaffllicted users much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hal

1 Message

November 16th, 2009 13:00

Same, adding my name to the list.  I thought I had done extensive research on selecting a laptop, but it never occurred to me to check for a faulty keyboard design...things like that are supposed to be a given "it will work."  That's like goingg to buy a car from the dealer and asking if the steering wheel turns the car...

I've also gotten no support from Dell on this matter.  Basically, just canned responses like going into the keyboard settings and making adjustments there.  When I point to this forum, I get the usual, send it in and we will replace it etc.

This was the first and last time I buy a Dell.  I bought it for work and the double key stroke issue is killing me when setting up/logging into various applications that require login validations and lock me out after failed attempts.  I likeed the XPS 1640 in every other regard, but if the keyboard is unreliable, then I don't care if it can get up and serve me coffee, it's fired!

5 Posts

November 16th, 2009 20:00

Hal,

Thank-you for your post! 

I purchased my XPS16 in September, so perhaps Dell was configuring the keyboard a bit differently by then. What I've experienced is that letters were getting dropped.  It was very frustrating and I was beginning to regret spending $1800 for my system until I tried your fixes.  I suspect Dell over-compensated on some of the settings  after reading this thread. I had to type very slowly and VERY firmly in order to ensure that every letter was getting registred.  So, I do advise anyone reading this post to try the above fixes - the've solved 99% of my issues with the keyboard.

- Steve

1 Message

December 17th, 2009 16:00

see... i have a similar problem being that my keyboard types one character and then another with one key press... i cant type "h"s on the internet because it brings the cursor up to my address bar and types "ha"(external keyboard ATM)

For example, if i were to type the above statement on my laptop.... it looks like this(no H's because i cant even type them)

see... iu _ave a siu,miular proble,m beiung t_at ,m]y kje]yboard t]ypes one c_aracter and t_en anot_er wiut_ one kje]y press... iu cant t]ype "_"s on t_e iunternet becaiuse iut briungs t_e ciursor iup to ,m]y address bar and t]ypes "_a"(external kje]yboard AT

so... yeah... i think i need to send mine in... its really annoying... and the worst case ive seen on the internet(not that ive checked all that hard)

4 Posts

December 18th, 2009 19:00

Yep -- I have exact same problem with my Studio XPS I bought in July.  Is obviously either a hardware problem with these keyboards or some kind of driver problem.  I've tried the filter keys set at 1.5 and 1.0.  I think it helped a little but still have the problem.  Very annoying because backspace repeat rate is now once per second or so -- makes it harder to delete the double strikes!!  Seems to me to be related to how hard you strike the keyboard.  I tend to hit the f key harder than other keys (when I type "of" I get "off" instead).  But also occurs randomly with other keys.  Hope there is a fix coming in the future.  Will keep checking back to see if anyone comes up with somthing that works.

11 Posts

December 18th, 2009 23:00

Nothing happen from Dell technical support....try upgrade Window 7, it seems to cure the problem I had earlier with Vista.What about the BIOS version, what your?, iit might worth upgrade to latest version A11 (but I don't think this is a fix).

I suspect it the hardware issue that Dell is reluctance to admit and to offer fix because of the potential recall cost.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2009 00:00

I've got the latest BIOS and have tried XP, Vista & Win 7, the problem is identical in all of them.  Filter keys does nothing to help this particular problem. The problem is a low level keyboard issue, you'd think a simple bit of switch debounce code somewhere in the BIOS could fix it.  You'd think DELL would read this and care about its customers.

9 Posts

December 19th, 2009 02:00

The unhappy xps 16 users on this list could collectively sign a letter to michael dell asking for proper attention. The letter might also state an intent to share the cost of hiring a lawyer otherwise.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2009 09:00

I started to upgrade to Windows 7, but it required removal of my ATI Catalyst Control software, and some other software (including the software that enables the eject switch for the disk drive -- my CD/DVD eject button would no longer work).   After all the trouble it took me to get my HDMI output to work properly with the blu-ray player on my Vista system, I punted on Windows 7 and restored the system back to Vista.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2009 08:00

Simlar issue.  I press the 'delete' key and it does a double delete.  It is like the keyboard debounce setting needs tweaked.  Where are these advanced settings you mention?  I have a new Studio XPS as well.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2009 08:00

I am so tired of this keyboard!  I spent $1,800 on this laptop:

- 7200 RPM drive

- 4 gb memory

- Windows x64

- faster processor

And this machine is not any faster than my old Dell 1210!  And the keyboard doesn't work properly - I have to POUND on it in order to make it respond (the fixes I THOUGHT would fix it, didn't).

And the Windows 7 CD-ROM is like an afterthought. No instructions, no hint that some things may go wrong as indicated in some of the other posts here.

DELL - WHAT GIVES?

3 Posts

December 31st, 2009 07:00

My XPS Studio 1645 arrived day before Christmas and today is my first decent amount of time using it..... and ARRRGHHHHHH this keyboard is driving me mad.

Tried the fix mentioned earlier, changed settings in Windows 7 Ease of Access applet but no difference. Real shame as the machine is otherwise fantastic. Just do not think I can deal with this keyboard duplication.

Has anyone had an update from Dell? BIOS fix on the way?

Can anyone give me advice on what to do next. I really would like to keep it providing it can be fixed!

Best regards (&happy new year).

3 Posts

December 31st, 2009 09:00

I posted my first message about my problems nearly 6 months ago--shortly after recieving my Studio XPS 16 in hopes that had an answer.  Since there really isn't a solution I've learned to live with it.  Clearly, there's not going to be any support from Dell on this issue.

The good news for me (and I'm curious if others experience the same), is that over time, the problem has largely become a much smaller issue.  That is I rarely see the problem anymore, unless I hit the T key too hard, or the recent accidental doubling of the letter L in my last name that showed up on a credit card I recieved in the mail (I ordered an additional card on an existing account and didn't catch the LLL which should have been LL).

I hope they fix this in hardware for the next version of this machine, because other than the repeating key issue, it's been the best notebook PC I've ever owned (and best balance of features).  I can't wait for the Arrandale (or even for the i7) to reappear as an option.  I'll be watching closely to see if this issue goes away completely for the new systems.

Happy New Year!

11 Posts

December 31st, 2009 09:00

The best course of action is to return the laptop and ask for replacement or refund.

I don't think Dell is willing to resolve this case as they should.

Good luck

Richard.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 11:00

Hal,

My XPS laptoop is only 2 months old and not only do I get double typing I get unwanted indents and italiccs.  I refuse to correct my typing which is why you see errors here.  In addition to the typing I had to have the mother board replaced.  Blue Screen of death!!  They sentthe wrong one to start and 2 weeks later my computer is back again.  However, the doubling typing issue is now twice as bad.  The machine also inadvertantly launches a new screen or a dialogue box asking for search parameters.  It originally happpened when only using IE.  However, it is now happpeneing in word, excel & outlook emails.  Yes.......time to have it replaced.

February 9th, 2010 05:00

I would like to add my name to any list of people experiencing this problem.  I have had a Studio XPS 16 for about two months.  At first I thought the duplicate key issue was a prroblem with my ttyping and tthat I just had to get used to the keyboard.  But then I realized that I don't have this issue on any other lapttop.  I called Dell Tech Support and tthat was not helpful.  In my opinion, this is a flaw in the hardware.  I have a couple other issues with the lapttop so I expectt to get a replacement.  I suspectt I will have the same issue with the new lapttop.

No Events found!