Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

March 2nd, 2009 17:00

Studio XPS 16 LCD screen being marked / scratched when closed

Hi All,

I have a permanent mark on my XPS 16 screen in the lower right area, which lines up with the front edge of the touch pad volume adjust area.  When the screen is closed it appears to touch some points of the touchpad and / or keypad.  I bought this unit because of the nice screen, so a mark caused simply by closing the screen would appear to be a problem!  At the moment the mark is small (10mm long) and barely noticeable, but will likely get worse.  At the moment I am placing the soft bag that came with the laptop over the screen before I close it to stop the problem getting worse.  I also notice that screen appears to be lifting around the edges.   It can be pushed back but lifts again shortly after.  Has anyone else seen these problems?  Dell - what should I do??

Thanks,

Shane.

5 Posts

March 9th, 2011 05:00

Having the same problem with scratches on my XPS-16 I called the Dell Service Hotline in Switzerland. I still have guarantee on my XPS and thought that changing the screen shouldn't be a problem. My Laptop is most of the time in the office and not even moved and was handled with a lot of care.

This scratches are 100% only from a design fault of the Dell Laptop.

But they told me that I had to pay for the repair and parts, no matter if we still have guarantee or not. Dear Dell, for what do I have Premium Guarantee if not for something like this? Incredible....

I warn everybody to buy any DELL Laptop (and do not spend additional money on service, you anyway will not get it). This one was the last one for me.

I will spread that in some forums and on youtube. People need to be warned about this.

5 Posts

Scratches and smudges on a screen is not cosmetic damage. They disturb and influence your workflow in a very direct way. Any designwork or image manipulation becomes a pain.

If I would have big scratches on the outside I couldn't care less, but this is unacceptable. Specially because it comes from just closing your laptop.

Again: The Laptop is designed and produced with a flaw; and the paying customer obviously becomes a Beta Tester.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Instead of just warning, please post the name of a company that WILL guarantee against cosmetic damage.  If you know of one, we're interested - I don't know of any of the major vendors who warrant against cosmetic damage.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 9th, 2011 06:00

Again, if you know of a manufacturer immune to the problem, please inform.  I've seen it happen on all notebooks - Macs, Dells, HPs, etc. -- and none of them will repair it under warranty.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

That's great -- for you.  Opinions vary, of course.  I would neither recommend nor touch an HP product with a ten-foot pole.

5 Posts

Yes, and here is Dell & HP listed as worst: http://blog.laptopmag.com/notebook-reliability-study-ranks-apple-best-dell-and-hp-worst

So if both suck then I prefer the one where my screen stays in shape. I had now HP & Dell, and from a personal point of view I prefer HP.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Be my guest.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

5 Posts

I cannot say what they would do, but what I can say is that I had 2x HP Laptops before, and this did not happen on any of them.

So you want a name: go, buy HP instead of DELL. My next one will be again a HP. Mhmm, and I can't remember that any friend had a problem like this on their Apple Notebooks.

March 21st, 2011 07:00

I had the same problem. When I first rang support, they said I would have to pay, but then when I explained that the cause was from the design, they asked me to send some photos. They replaced the palm rest and screen under warranty.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 27th, 2011 12:00

Before wasting time and/or money on that - which you waived your right to do, see the terms of sale you agreed to (particularly #12):

www.dell.com/.../policy

May 27th, 2011 18:00

Hi all,  I started this thread originally so thought I should chime in...  I contacted Dell with my problem, sent them a couple of pictures and they agreed there was a problem.  They promptly sent someone out and replaced the complete LCD screen and touchpad above the keyboard.  I'm in Australia by the way and this was 2 years ago when the laptop was new (I'm still using it now).  This problem is DEFINATELY NOT "cosmetic" on a 16 inch 1080P LCD.  It is a problem just like any other LCD fault or backlight fault.  If I didn't want all of that resolution I wouldn't have paid extra money for a 1080P screen!  I wouldn't be happy with a row of dead pixels, and a row of working pixels behind a dodgy piece of Perspex is no better.  I it's  the manufacturers fault then it is covered by warranty.

Cheers,
Shane

1 Message

June 1st, 2011 09:00

Hi Shane, I'm having the same problem with my Dell Studio 1555, i would like to know how you contacted Dell, I looked at the website but didn't find any Email or other contact information regarding warranty issues.

Thank you.

Geva Tal.

June 3rd, 2011 07:00

Hi Geva,

I used the phone number printed in the paperwork that came with the laptop - when I got through I quoted the service tag number from the laptop... try http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/ap/shared/support/dellcare/en/byphone?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs  I don't know which country you are in so if not Australia then change the country at the top of the page.

Cheers,

Shane

1 Message

August 18th, 2011 17:00

I have an XPS6145 with the same problem.  I bought it last year from Costco and noticed that the screen has marks that definitely indicate contact with the keyboard so the flex of the screen is too much to prevent this from happening.  I purchased this model from Dell hoping the design quality would be high enough to avoid such a problem but it looks like I'm out of luck.  I'd sure like to have this repaired on warranty (since it's up on Sept 7) and then make provisions to prevent this from repeating.  I recall having a similar issue with my HP laptop and eventually, someone started a blog which forced HP to repair a design fault (faulty hinge).  

5 Posts

January 12th, 2012 05:00

I still have my Dell XPS 16 and the screen reminds me everyday not to buy a Dell again, specially not to pay for premium service - it really isn't premium at all. I convinced 3 people in the last year that buying a Dell like they planned to do is a very bad idea because of the experiences I made and showed them better alternatives.

May not be much, but in the end it's the only thing one can do in a case like this. And I will continue to do so.

No Events found!