Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2009 13:00

Studio XPS 16 Windows 7 Integrated Webcam Issues

I have the 1640 Studio XPS 16 that came with Vista 64 Bit OS, I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and have not been able to get the Webcam working in anything other than Webcam Central, and the Facial Recognition software.  I have tried using Stickam, Facebook and Gmail with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, and each time it says that there is no Webcam installed.  

I have tried uninstalling the driver to the webcam, which causes a blue screen when I reboot, and then I have to go to a restore point.  

I have uninstalled Dell Webcam Central, reboot, Webcam still didn't work, tried to re-install Dell Webcam Central and received an error "Setup could not detect any Dell Webcam Central on your system.  Please ensure that your Dell Webcam Central is properly installed before running this Setup again".

I went to install Dell Webcam Manager, but the installation said that my laptop was not supported.

The Driver version  used is current (Creative Technology Ltd. Signed 3/9/2009. Version 1.6.3.309).

Note that the webcam worked in all of the applications I mentioned BEFORE I upgraded to Windows 7.  Any ideas?? Thanks.

18 Posts

September 17th, 2009 12:00

bump

October 1st, 2009 11:00

Found this on another post:

Dell Webcam :

http://ftp.dell.com/app/R195284.exe

Perhaps this will work for Windows 7.

18 Posts

October 1st, 2009 12:00

I actually got the webcam to work. I found an update from the company that makes the Facial Recognition software.  That releases the camera for other devices to use.  But then the Dell Webcam Center assumes control of the device.  So if you shut down that program, you can use the webcam with Facebook, Stickam, etc.  If that doesn't work, you can also temporarily disable the facial recognition software if you right click on the FA Icon and select Disable FastAccess Temporarily.  Kind of a pain in the neck that you kinda expect should work without any fuss from the user.  But I guess that comes with using an OS not yet released.  Soon though! I can't wait for correct drivers.

15 Posts

October 25th, 2009 03:00

Found this tidbit..

http://www.sensiblevision.com/v/dell/win7.htm

59 Posts

December 7th, 2009 04:00

Anyone else notice that after the Windows 7 upgrade the integrated web camera was not as crystal clear as it was with Vista?  On my Studio XPS 1640, now there is static in the picture and nowhere near as clear in web cam central.  I haven't tried it yet to see if it works in other apps.

L.

March 8th, 2010 17:00

Bumping, I need to know about this. 

I have a "base system device" that still has no driver, my webcam. I can't install it from the Resource CD.

7 Posts

May 30th, 2012 11:00

Do you happen to remember where you got this from? This works perfectly for me, but it keeps telling me that I need to install the driver.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 30th, 2012 14:00

mzhu026,

With Windows 7, Windows 7 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers, except for some of the XPS Models.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

No Events found!