Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

January 28th, 2009 22:00

Studio XPS 16 audio - right speaker louder than left

This is true for all applications with audio - playing videos on youtube, playing movies in Windows Media Player, etc.  The audio from the right laptop speaker is clearly louder than the left laptop speaker.  I went to check the balance control and everything looks fine - i.e. the levels for left and right are the same.  With the right speaker set at 38, it sounds balanced when I turn the left speaker up to 58 or so.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a hardware issue... with a laptop I've had for less than a week.  I guess that's what warranties are for.

Please let me know if there's something that I'm missing here.  I'm running Vista 64-bit, if that helps.

Kirk

4.6K Posts

January 29th, 2009 05:00

Welcome to the forums Kirk :emotion-21:

Whilst it's not ideal... especially on a new laptop... I personally wouldn't bother about it too much, if the problem is fixed simply by adjusting the individual speaker volume?

But it's up to you.  There's certainly no harm in contacting tech support, to see what they have to say about it.

I suspect they might be inclined to say the same though :emotion-55:

4 Posts

January 29th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for the reply, Jim.  I had searched the forums before I posted, but I didn't come across that post.  Thanks for the input - somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone!

Kirk

4 Posts

Yes, it's not a big deal, but after paying over $2k for a brand new laptop, I expect it to be perfect.  I had posted here in hopes of getting a response from Dell support, because I really did not want to sit on hold for a long time, nor have an online chat session with someone in Bangalore.

Thanks for your input (nice machine, btw), but I hope that there's a better answer out there...

Kirk

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Kirk,

You are not the only one who has found this flaw in a Studio. See this post.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 11:00

Everyone that has purchased this laptop is having this problem. I would urge everyone that is troubled by this, to do as I'm about to do and that is to return it for a full refund.

I have received the automated email reply from Dell to "check my sound balance" in the control panel.

I have sent 2 emails to Integrated Device Technology concerning their part #92HD73C1 when used with the Intel ICH9HD controller. Haven't received any reply.

Thraak

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 13:00

Yesterday, I ran the Dell diagnostics test. It passed the test. The test does not measure output levels. Rebooted....Same problem exists.

On a side not, I called Dell product support. Explained the steps that I took to evaluate the problem. I was then disconnected. I called back. This technician connected my computer via remote assistance. He said that he does not "see" any problem. Unfortunately, he did not have the ability to "hear" the problem.

They have sent me a return shipping label.

Goodbye, for now

No Events found!