Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2009 20:00

Studio XPS 16 support for AVCHD extended color does not seem to be supported, but Photoshop extened colors work great

I just received my XPS 16 a week ago & I am floored as to how well it does for photos using photoshop & extended color spaces & gamuts. I've brought in some photos in the RAW format, ProPhoto color space, and then changed the color space to AdobeRGB and sRGB (windows default color space) & I've been amazed at the differences in the absolutely natural  very saturated colors of flowers, birds, and other very saturated objects when using the ProPhoto color space on this RGB LED back lit LCD. The saturated reds, yellows, cyans, blues, greens, and magentas are amazing. When I set the color space to AdobeRGB I can clearly see where the colors that are clipped because there is too much saturation for AdobeRGB to handle. I then change the color space to sRGB & even more colors are clipped. This is exactly what I was hoping for with this excellent notebook. After I export the photos to JPEG with their color spaces attached, I can clearly see the differences when I use microsoft photo viewer, firefox or safari web browsers which I am estatic about.

When I try some AVCHD videos captured from a Sony camcorder with extended color = xvYCC (or Sony's trade marked name = x.v.Color) I cannot see the extended colors using the PowerDVD 8.1 video player that comes on the XPS 16. I've been researching this & it looks like PowerDVD does not support the extended video colors, but Corel's WinDVD does. I've seen the extended colors on a different computer with a wide color gamut display using WinDVD, but PowerDVD will not show them & changes Vista's color space back to basic = sRGB. I even tried down loading a trial version of PowerDVD 9 ultra, but it still clipped the extended colors.

I've tried installing Corel's WinDVD 9 on my XPS16, but when it gets to the end, it will not register into the OS registry. I've tried this a few times as both myself and as the administrator & cannot get it to register & therefore it will not come up and show my AVCHD xvYCC extended colo videos.

Now I do not know what to do next. This notebook is excellent for photos, but I cannot get it to show the same saturated colors (reds, cyans, yellows, blues, greens, magentas...) for videos.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance :o)

Kim

5 Posts

April 17th, 2009 01:00

I finally have both PowerDVD9 & WinDVD9+ working and they both support AVCHD streams, but the Studio XPS 16 does not seem to support the extended colors (xvYCC or Sony's trademark xvColor) to either it's notebook panel or through its HDMI 1.3 ouput connection to a Sony XBR8 DTV. I set it up so that it sent YCbCr to the Sony DTV which is required for enabling the extended color space too. This is very frustrating :-(

My friend has a Sony notebook that does support HVCHD with wide color gamut colors & the saturated reds, blues, cyans, yellows, greens, and magentas look incredible. Both PowerDVD9 & WinDVD9 support the extended xvYCC colors on the Sony notbook and the Sony PS3. I know that this notebook would also if I could find a way to make it work. This notebook's color gamut is excellent and it supports HDMI. I don't understand why I cannot get it to work.

Photos in ProPhotoRGB color space look incredible on this notebook! Change the color space to AdobeRBB or even worse sRGB & the difference is amazing.
How do I get video to look as good?

Has anyone solved this puzzle?

Thanks,

Kim

5 Posts

April 19th, 2009 18:00

The Sony VGN-AW230J wide color gamut notebook supports AVCHD  xvYCC / x.v.Color extended range saturated colors videos running Vista 64 Home Premium.

The videos look incredible on the Sony Notebook.

I wonder why Dell does not support AVCHD xvYCC / x.v.Color extended colors videos on the Studio XPS 16 (1640) notebook?

I've tried both WinDVD9+,  PowerDVD9Ultra & both work on the Sony notebook, as well as every update that I can find.

It must be an issue with the Dell video post processing, compositing, overlay, or display system.

5 Posts

May 6th, 2009 15:00

I read thru the Microsoft MSDN libraries & I now understand the Windows 7 is designed to support AVCHD WCG xvYCC videos & show the saturated colors and Vista is not designed to support xvYCC.

I have loaded Winows 7 release 7077 & 7100 (release candidate) onto my Dell & still no luck yet getting AVCHD xvYCC WCG videos to work when trying to play back the compressed streams through WinDVD 9, PowerDVD 9, or Windows Media Player. :emotion-39: It must be a matter of time until the drivers are there to enable xvYCC though the video path (decode, post processing, compositing, & display. I've tried both the internal RGB LED back lit LCD & HDMI to a Sony XBR8 and made certain that the Dell Studio XPS 16 was driving YCbCr versus RGB without any luck.

Sony has their own utility to enable xvYCC wide color gamut videos. I'm very jealous of my friend that has it working on his Sony WCG notebook even on Vista.

If you find out anything about how to get WCG videos to work on this ATI based WCG Dell Notebook, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kim

No Events found!