Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 11th, 2009 15:00

Studio XPS 1640 TV Tuner

I've just received my 1640 and upgraded to Ultimate from Home Premium.

On reinstall of the drivers, i have an unknown device of 'WINTV-NOVA'.

This is obviously the tuner and i verified my testing media center.

I cannot find a driver for this device on the provided cd nor the dell website.

They list a AverMedia device but the drivers dont work so i dont think its this.

A google search brings up a Hauppauge device but none of the 10+ drivers worked.

Anyone any ideas what model\brand it is and why dell arent listing the right drivers!!

7 Posts

February 15th, 2009 03:00

I've got exactly the same problem. My XPS16 was incorrectly shipped with 32-bit Vista and I had to re-install 64-bit Vista Ultimate. Everything works except for the TV tuner.

February 15th, 2009 11:00

Same here, although I think I may have to open the case to find out!!! or even go back to the factory image to find out which driver they are using!!! Also, I am unsure if the default image was running Media Center TV Pack as this could include the drivers and add the blueray support, although do dell allow you to get this some how???

also where can we get all the applications that come as part of the oem install like PowerDVD DX and Roxio and the webcam config tools.

Robin.

11 Posts

February 16th, 2009 02:00

And also the webcam management software is not available on CD. I could only find the drivers but I do not know if these works without the management programm

2 Posts

February 18th, 2009 12:00

Well with regards to the Tuner it is now kinda sorted.  I opened a support ticket and managed to get the driver through one of the technicians.  It was temporaily uploaded to an ftp site for me, downloaded and the tuner is now recognised.  The only thing is i had to agree not to share it; the techie said it has not been released the general public yet and would only get the driver if i agreed not to which i did.

So now the driver is installed, another issue has popped up; the tuner dosent seem to actually pickup any channels!!  I've tried 4 different sources (2 portable antennas, my roof antenna, my works antenna on a 18-floor building!!)  I've also tried 3 different programs (wmc, wintv and an open source alternative) but no success still.  Thinking i may have a faulty device or i've been told it still could be the driver not properly telling the tuner when to work?

With regards to the missing CDs, i had the same issue; only got the reinstall OS and driver CDs.  Contacted Customer Services and they've rushed the missing CDs out via UPS but they so far have tried 2 times and didnt even knock on the door, just presumed no one was in and posted a slip!!

I didnt expect issues like this esp after spending £1k+ but c'est la vie!

3 Posts

February 18th, 2009 14:00

i have exactly the same problem.

does anyone have got new news? i tried to contact dell vie mail but after one week i didnt get an answer.

can someone of you say me how i can put out a cd?

if i try to use the panel then nothin happened. i just want to know if someone has got the same problem. because i tried to search a driver or a tool but i dondt find anything.

perhaps someone of you can help me?

7 Posts

February 20th, 2009 05:00

Dell have now added the correct drivers for the TV card to the downloads section of their support site. It includes versions for both 32- and 64-bit Vista OS.

I've just installed the 64-bit drivers and the device is now correctly recognised in Device Manger as a 'WinTV-Nova-T model 18109'. I haven't tried connecting the tuner to an ariel feed yet but will do that this evening and advise.

Regards, Ian

7 Posts

February 20th, 2009 10:00

I'm glad to report the TV card is now working!

After installing the new driver from the Dell site, I tried WinTV v7 first but that only seems to support a limited set of Hauppauge's cards - and the one in the XPS 16 isn't one of them.

I then tried Vista Media Centre. That recognised the card and successfully detected 75 Freeview channels (although it did take around 10 mins for the scan to complete). Full screen live TV image quality isn't great on the laptop's 1920x1080 screen (presumably because it's upscaling Freeview resolution) but if you watch TV in a smaller window it's just as sharp as a real TV.

Ian

5 Posts

February 26th, 2009 23:00

Hi,

Glad that your TV tuner card is working.

Do you receive Teletext with any channels? or know how to enable it? On Vista Media Centre my tuner detects available digital TV channels but I can not find a way to enable teletext with the channels.

Just been told by Dell XPS support team that the integrated TV tuner only receives DVB-T so teletext is not supported.

After researching in Whirlpool I understand that Microsoft Media Centre Edition does support teletext on analog but not digital TV signals.

Anyways would like to know if anyone got teletext working.

Thanks

Saiful

5 Posts

February 27th, 2009 20:00

Have you managed to get teletext working with the digital channels received?

7 Posts

February 28th, 2009 02:00

I think you're earlier post is correct - Media Centre doesn't seem to support digital teletext. Microsoft's online help suggests you should see a Teletext option on the Media Centre context menu but I don't see one. Perhaps the reference is for analogue teletext only...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/f72adfd2-4b8c-461e-99c6-36efeaec7a921033.mspx#EAG

Ian

3 Posts

March 1st, 2009 09:00

small question by the way

does someone of you made it to install xp on 1640?

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 05:00

I have finally found the answer to the teletext & captioned subtitle issue for integrated TV tuner.

Its related to Vista (32 & 64 bit edition) Media Center that needs to be upgraded to have Media Center TV pack 2008. I found in several OS discussion groups & forums the newer MCE TV pack 2008 after install enables both analog and digital TV channels to receive teletext, captioned subtitles and other features.

However Microsoft is advising this should be available only via OEM version so many PC and laptop manufacteres has been supplied with the newer MCE with TV pack 2008. This was released July 2008. Strange Dell did not include this with newer laptops. Further more XP Media Centre supports teletext and initially Vista Media Center did not upto the release of TV pack 2008. I am dissapointed with Dell not providing this as standard vista build with my laptop.

I have raised a ticket with Dell XPS support team who had no clue about this issue and initially did not want to understand the point I was trying to make. After several attempts the support decided to escalate my query. I am now waiting for the Vista included with Media Center TV pack 2008. I hope this will set some precedence for Dell to be more aware of providing the latest version of the OS with new builds.

Cheers

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 06:00

Sorry, have not tried to install XP on 1640. You can search Dell thread where some one already has. Why would you bother when MS is talking about Windows 2007 soon to be released. Perhaps you just trialing & comparing different OS verions.

Good Luck

7 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 14:00

That's useful information - I hadn't even heard about Media Center TV pack 2008. Let us know how you get on.

Out of interest, are Dell sending you a DVD with the update or will they be making it available on their download site?

Regards

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 16:00

If you search other Dell forum threads there is one going on under Media Center TV pack 2008. It seems that Dell are not sending any update DVD to address this issue. Anyway even knowing this I have raised a new ticket with Dell XPS support team. I am waiting on their response. I find it difficult to accept that Dell did not include this update on the newer Vista OS builds (Win Vista 6.0.6001.18273) which includes the TV pack 2008 instead they have opted the to provide the older version (6.0.6001.18000).

This issue will need to be resolved since Dell has been given the upgrade by Microsoft. Other laptop makers are providing the update on customer requests. Why Dell will not follow suit will raise questions by many Dell customers.

Cheers

No Events found!