Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 10-06-2011 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Studio XPS 1645 Keyboard Bounce

Has anyone had an issue with a bounce problem with the keyboard on their Studio XPS 1645 laptop?  Please reply to the poll below.

[Poll]

Thanks,

--Mark

Replies (17)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks for your sharing! It's comprehensive, Now I understand more about it.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hey KingdomSeeker288,

I came across your posting just now.  I have a DELL Studio 1340 XPS and since new it has had the keybounce problem.  I've lived with it for a year - but thought I'd try to sort it out after using a friend's laptop all weekend.  It's only after using a non bouncing keyboard that I realised just how bad the problem was on my Dell.

I installed your fix and:

This is my normal typing with your filter on.

Typing away as fast as I can and looking for keyboard bounces. Now let’s suspend the filter.

Typing  now with the sscript paused and immediately we can seee that I’m getting the usual collection of ddouble letters. Continue typing and it’s not long before the double letters aappear and often when touch typing I’m not looking at the screen and whenn I do eventallly look aat it aall those double letters do get a bit annoying.

So now the filter is on again  and the added bonus is that the caps lock key is disabled. I never /hardly ever use it although sometimes I hit it when typing an ‘a’ and find a couple of lines later that I have a pile of upper case that I don’t want.  Hey!  Look at that… no errors!

You are right of course, Dell ought to issue a driver fix.  But until then, I'll use your utility.

I'm so pleased with it, I'm happy to pay you for it! Not enough to make your fortune  and I don't know how to go about it... paypal I guess.  When I think of all those 59p apps I buy for my iPhone, your utility is worth a lot more to me in the time I 'll save correcting my work.  I'm not techie enough to know how to edit the semi colon thing to make the caps lock key work  - but I'm OK with it off.

3 Silver

Yup, TractorBouy, it looks like your machine suffers from the same old "keyboard stutter" problem too. So you've had it for a year? That's about how long I've had mine. I wonder if newer Dell laptops don't show the problem as much?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I bought my daughter a Dell for Christmas.  Studio 1558 with illuminated keyboard.  No keyboard problems there.  But as far as studio - this thread suggests it is across all models. There must be a lot of very tolerant and easily pleased users.  My Studio 1340 has the illuminated keyboard.  Does the problem just affect these, or are all keyboards affected?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi KingdomSeeker - Tractorbuoy again.

I've been investigating the key bounce thing further, and found another thread you've been active on.  You'll know the one I mean:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19328066.aspx?PageIndex=2

I've tried the reg fix described there.  What do you think?  It does seem neat insofar as there's no start-up, and while not the driver solution we all seek, it seems to be the net best thing.

3 Silver

Hi KingdomSeeker - Tractorbuoy again.

I've been investigating the key bounce thing further, and found another thread you've been active on.  You'll know the one I mean:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19328066.aspx?PageIndex=2

I've tried the reg fix described there.  What do you think?  It does seem neat insofar as there's no start-up, and while not the driver solution we all seek, it seems to be the net best thing. 

Yes, I expect that they both will offer similar performance.  The regedit method carries the typical risks associated with registry edits, but if you're comfortable with that, then it's really no disadvantage.  The regedit method, being a built-in Windows solution, will probably carry fewer side-effects with built-in Windows key mappings, so it may work with things like F-keys and extended-language keysets. (For those reasons, if I get some time, I may try it myself on a whim.)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Couldn't vote but my option is:  "More than once in each sentence"

--

I'm having the same problem of duplicate characters with my brand new XPS17 (L701X)  (value: US$ 2800, in Argentina)

I can't believe DELL isn´t able to solve this problem since 2008.... really a shame.

This is my last DELL purchase ever.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just bought a Vostro 3750 and I have the samee probleem typing normally, exacctly as I haave alwayss done for the paast 15 or so years using Dell's products. Thiss iss completely unacceptablee. I bought one of their fastest most powerful computers too save time since I am aa web designer and webmaster with a very popular message board, but now I spend so much time correcting my typing that it simply isn't saving me any time at all, and I can see from posts here and elsewhere in Dell's forums and others that this is a very common issue that has existeed for years and haas NOT been fixed or even seriously addressed that I can see by Dell. This will be my llast purchase from them unless they take a more proactive or at least a more responsive attitudee since it appears a couple of users havee apparently sspent more time and had more success trying too fix thiss issue than Dell has, though Dell does seem to have wasted quite a bit of moneey replaacing keyboaards and motherboards and even refunding money. I'm really sorry to see this happening in a computer company that used to be a staandard bearer but now apppearss to be sliding to mediocrity. Keyboards are such aan integral part of using any coomputer that when it doesn't work the rest of the computer's quallitiess ddon't matter.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions