Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2010 11:00

Studio & XPS Users experiencing video lockups and freezes / Throttling issues

If you have questions regarding 130 watt power adapters, please refer to the thread below:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

For all others, I am not an engineer so if you have something you would like to see added to this initial post, please PM me and I will add it.

Since rumors are that there are different motherboard revisions, please download the 64bit version of CPU-Z here.

In the Mainboard tab, please tell us your Model # and BIOS revision as well as the model of laptop you are using.  Please make sure you are running the latest drivers.

So again, please provide:
Model of laptop
BIOS Revision number
Board Model
Power supply (130w/90w)
If you are running non-Dell-approved drivers, please tell us what version(s) you are using of those as well.

After you have put this in the header of your response, please state what issues you are still having with:
Throttling
System lock-ups
Performance between battery and AC adaptor plugged in
Playing HD streams
USB power
Sleep or hibernate issues
Fan constantly running at high speeds
The engineers and developers are (from what I can tell) doing a pretty decent job of trying to find a cure for all of the issues so let's try and make this as concise as possible for them to make things go faster :)

77 Posts

March 12th, 2010 05:00

Users in the New XPS 1645 crashes constantly thread mention that removing the SB X-Fi software has helped.    Anyone here able to confirm?

Hello Todd,

on my Studio ST 1747 (received December 2009) I do not have a Sound Blaster software, only the "IDT  HD sound" control panel. (I did not uninstall, because I do not experience lockups, only the hick-ups mentioned several times that I relate to HDD access -- I am still waiting for a HDD widget!)

55 Posts

March 12th, 2010 06:00

I understand completely....

55 Posts

Todd, any news on the release of the new A08 BIOS that were rumored for today.....

1.8K Posts

Todd, any news on the release of the new A08 BIOS that were rumored for today.....

No.   And in this case I'm hopeful that no news is good news.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2010 07:00

I already gave my system specs in an earlier reply (I have a Studio XPS1645). Just wanted to add that I had 3 freezes in the past 2 days when starting up without the power supply being plugged in (90w). The freezes always happen around the login screen (either right before or after).  Most of my startup items have been disabled by the Dell technician (except McAfee and FastAccess). Today, I disabled FastAccess to see if it would make a difference. I'll let you know.

Quick question for you: Should I request the 130w power supply from Dell?

4 Posts

March 12th, 2010 09:00

Yes,,, I took your advice and installed the beta 3 flash as well as the modified ATI software.

It's been one day and counting without a problem... or lockup.. 

My system was locking up on full page video. 

66 Posts

March 12th, 2010 15:00

Not looking so good for the A08 BIOS coming today.:emotion-9:

Mitch

1 Message

March 12th, 2010 17:00

I have a Studio XPS 1640 (according to Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit system control panel.) BIOS rev. 07, board model 0Y536R, ATI HD 4670 BIOS BR034414-001 Driver 8.603.1.0. P/S has no wattage rating listed: 1.5A in, 19.5V 4.62A out.  I had been having various STOP (BSOD) errors since day one (end of June '09) when the system was either idle or under very little load, i.e., reading forums, etc.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason and they happen with no warning.  Watching HD video, pop-up message bubbles, etc. do not seem to cause the problem like others have reported.

After updating the system BIOS, drivers, etc., I almost never see the STOP errors anymore.  Instead, the video corrupts (random colors in each pixel) for about 30 seconds and the system reboots.  I'm sure there is a stop error because the corrupt video is displayed for about the same duration as the memory dump when a blue screen does appear.  I can even have all programs closed and the computer just sitting there and I'll watch it do this time and again.  I never did have the massive heat problems and cooling fan issues others have had right out of the box.  I really love this computer and wish it were dependable.

I don't seem to have the problem with it completely locking-up.  Perhaps this could be because I'm on Vista and not 7?

7 Posts

March 12th, 2010 21:00

Here is another new Studio XPS freezing ...

Computer: Studio XPS 1645 received February 3, 2010
Processor: Intel Core i7 820QM
Chipset: Southbridge Intel PM55 rev. 05
Memory: 6 GB
Motherboard: Dell 0Y517R
BIOS: version A07
Solid state hard drive

All drivers updated from Dell Web site (including PM55) except...
Driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670:
Version installed: 8.650.0.0
Version on Dell Web site: 8.634.0.000

Operating System: Windows 7x64 Home Premium
All updates installed

Devices plugged into computer:
Logitech keyboard and mouse via USB: using SetPoint v. 6.0
Dell Monitor: 2407WFPb via DisplayPort connector
LaCie eSATA drive (1 TB)
Dell 90 W power adapter
Other USB devices: fax modem and COM port

Changed Power settings:
Computer sleep: Never
Turn off hard disk: Never
Minimum processor state: 10% (increased from 5%)

Ran Dell Pre-boot System Assessment: Everything passed the tests

Ran sfc /scannow: "Found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them." The only corrupt file that could not be fixed is tcpmon.ini.

Ran Boot Logging. Four drivers not loaded:
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\SysWow64\DRIVERS\RxFilter.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\SysWow64\DRIVERS\s24trans.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NISx64\1105000.07F\SRTSPX64.SYS

I can view HD video with no problem.
Sound Blaster X-Fi software installed, but no apparent audio problems.

Problem:

Starting on February 13, my system has stopped responding (froze) 34 times. This almost always happens as I move the cursor around the screen. It never happens when I am not moving the mouse, except for instance #34 that froze today while Norton Internet Security was doing a background scan.

This doesnot happen every day but can happen 3 or 4 times in a day.

It has happened when navigating around many different applications such as Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer (32 bit), Windows Live Mail, Quick Lanch tool bar, Word, Quicken and even Reliability Monitor.

If this happens when a Word file is open, the next time I go back to Word it gives me the option of opening the file that was open when the system was shut down.

I have not loaded any special games or special audio features.

Most, but not all, times I have moved the mouse quickly.

Each of these instances has generated an entry in the Event Viewer under Event Type: Error, Source: EventLog: "The previous system shutdown at (time) on (date) was unexpected. (Event ID: 6008)"

When I search the Micorsoft Web site for Event ID 6008 returns about 368 entries, most for earlier Windows systems. I then added Windows 7 to the search and found 14 entries. None seem to apply. (The Windows 7 Solutions Center has no entries for Event ID 6008.)

Each time the only option I have is forcing a "hard reset", that is, holding the power button down for at least 5 seconds. This action generates a Kernel-Power error (Event ID: 41, Task Category (63).

So I am still looking for a way to trap the issue that is causing this. Or better yet, finding a way to make the problem "history".

It is clear from this site and especially the Microsoft Windows 7 System Repair and Recovery forum, I'm not the only one with this "challenge".

Any suggestions?

1 Message

March 12th, 2010 23:00

Studios XPS 1645

Model: 0Y517R

BIOS: A07

130w Power Supply

I took delivery of the system at the beginning of February and I just recently started getting quite a few lock-ups on my Studio XPS 1645.  The lockups are happening with opening new browser windows in firefox as well as a few instances occurring while using youtube or playing HD video.  The entire computer locks up and I have to do a hard reset on the laptop.  The lock up problem has not happened while gaming.

3 Posts

March 13th, 2010 02:00

I just bought a DELL Studio XPS 1645/Core I7/ 16"Led RGB HD screen and I can't look at HD video on Vimeo & Youtube without freeze and manual reboot, I can't play games without slow down and performance are very low on applications such as Sony VEGAS (HD video rendering). I identify a big CPU throtte issue but I need asssitance to know if I must return the Laptop ?

Examples :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ95z6ywcBY&feature=player_embedded

(lady gaga latest clip, work on every old computers I have at home except on my newly bought Studio XPS)

click on 1080p HD

or :
http://vimeo.com/hd

(any HD video)

It freezes & crashes the DELL XPS Studio all the time.

In game at decent resolution (1200 instead of 1900) and with normal details, I experience big slow down every 3/4 minutes so the games are unplayable.

Examples :  Modern Warfare 2, Stalker Call of Pripyat

Otherwise all is OK, no freeze, no slow down with Microsoft Words / Firefox browzing / Winamp listening.

My system :

My Dell 1645 / Core I7 / RGB LED 16" / ATI Mobility HD 4670 / 90W adapter

Latest bios A7 as recommanded, tested withh all AMD/ATI driver 9.9 up to 10.3 and withthe DELL official one. All drivers, Flash version & Windows 7 Updates are up to date.

Model: 0Y517R / A07

Chipset DMI Host Bridge / PM55

LPCIO : NS

BIOS : A07 (02/10/2010)

37 Posts

March 13th, 2010 06:00

I identify a big CPU throtte issue but I need asssitance to know if I must return the Latop ?

The issue from what I've read on the ATI forums has to do with the power management code in the VIDEO BIOS (not System BIOS), this has been fixed on MSI systemboards with a BIOS update. It's likely the spike in demand for watts from the video chipset when you jump to the high resolution playback, rendering, etc. I suspect that Dell will need to get 130Watt adapters out to owners and update the system BIOS's handling of power management to various components running the 130Watt Adapters so the system isn't getting starved for power.      

55 Posts

March 13th, 2010 07:00

I just bought a DELL Studio 1645/Core I7/ 16"Led RGB HD screen and I can't look at HD video on Vimeo & Youtube without freeze and manual reboot, I can't play games without slow down and performance are very low on applications such as Sony VEGAS (video rendering). I identify a big CPU throtte issue but I need asssitance to know if I must return the Latop ?

Otherwise all is OK, no freeze, no slow down with Microsoft Words / Firefox browzing / Winamp listening.

My system :

My Dell 1645 / Core I7 / RGB LED 16" / ATI Mobility HD 4670 / 90W adapter

Latest bios A7 as recommanded, tested withh all AMD/ATI driver 9.9 up to 10.3 and withthe DELL official one. All drivers, Flash version & Windows 7 Updates are up to date.

Model: 0Y517R / A07

Chipset DMI Host Bridge / PM55

LPCIO : NS

BIOS : A07 (02/10/2010)

:emotion-40: Curious as to your slow downs in  Sony Vegas , I experienced no issues in vegas with my i7 Core  Studio1747 in Vegas 9Pro 64Bit....Been Editing and Rendering High Def footage without any noticable problems......

9 Posts

March 13th, 2010 08:00

In response to Todd's question about disabling SB X-Fi service, that did not help. Also, installing Adobe Flash 10.1 beta 3 also made no difference.  I've had 2 freezes this morning already which is much worse than usual. Of course, I had a dell service rep 'fix' my studio 17 last night which has made things much worse.

Here are the details regarding my system:

Studio 1747

Bios A7

Service ID FDBZ2L1

Board Model 0J509P

Power Supply 90W

Not sure if you need anything else but this is just another data point. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to scrub the hard drive and start over from scratch. That seems to be the only thing that works based on all of the reports I've read.

17 Posts

March 13th, 2010 14:00

Hi - I'm another Studio 17 owner (early Dec '09, i7 820, 2 x 500 GB HD, 8 GB ram, ATI 4650, Win 7x64 Ultimate) who suffered from random freezing.  My incidents averaged 2 a day, ranging from minutes to three days.  They occurred during boot, while idle, emailing, surfing, or using MS Office.  Symptoms included a normal screen but no response to mouse or keyboard.  Each time I was forced to power down.  I tried the tricks that have helped others - clean boot, sfc /scannow, new drivers, turn off Aero, update bios thru AO5, 6 & 7.  No joy.

When I finally called Dell support, they had me run the boot diagnostics, which diagnosed a bad boot HD the second time I ran them.  Chkdsk found only one bad sector, in hiberfil.sys, but support sent me a replacement drive pre-imaged with Win 7.  Rather than lose the fresh Win install by restoring an image, I reinstalled all my apps, printers, email, etc - about 2 1/2 days work.  BTW, I was able to put the "failed" drive in an external sata enclosure and use it as a usb drive to drag over contents of my documents & download folders, etc.  I was also able to wipe my personal files on the old drive connected this way.

It appears to have been worth it.  I don't know if it was the replacement drive or the fresh Win 7 install, but I've now been freeze-free for just over 10 days & counting.  (I'm keeping my fingers crossed). 

My conclusions FWIW: (1) many different things may cause freezing on these high powered laptops.  (2) When you get a reliable install with apps, etc., it would pay to image it.

No Events found!