Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2010 11:00

Studio & XPS Users experiencing video lockups and freezes / Throttling issues

If you have questions regarding 130 watt power adapters, please refer to the thread below:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

For all others, I am not an engineer so if you have something you would like to see added to this initial post, please PM me and I will add it.

Since rumors are that there are different motherboard revisions, please download the 64bit version of CPU-Z here.

In the Mainboard tab, please tell us your Model # and BIOS revision as well as the model of laptop you are using.  Please make sure you are running the latest drivers.

So again, please provide:
Model of laptop
BIOS Revision number
Board Model
Power supply (130w/90w)
If you are running non-Dell-approved drivers, please tell us what version(s) you are using of those as well.

After you have put this in the header of your response, please state what issues you are still having with:
Throttling
System lock-ups
Performance between battery and AC adaptor plugged in
Playing HD streams
USB power
Sleep or hibernate issues
Fan constantly running at high speeds
The engineers and developers are (from what I can tell) doing a pretty decent job of trying to find a cure for all of the issues so let's try and make this as concise as possible for them to make things go faster :)

63 Posts

May 11th, 2010 16:00

Hi,

You may try this software for analysing dumpfiles

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Look for whocrashed.

K'

14 Posts

May 11th, 2010 21:00

So again, please provide

• Model of laptop   Studio 1749
  • BIOS Revision number    Bios A04
  • Board Model       0KVMW2
  • Power supply (130w/90w)    90watt
  • Is the PA-15 psu compatable?

After you have put this in the header of your response, please state what issues you are still having with:

• Throttling
  • System lock-ups
  • Sleep or hibernate issues

May 13th, 2010 13:00

• Studio XPS 1645
  • BIOS A08
  • 0Y517R 
  • Power supply - Don't know how to determine
  • Chipset Ibex Peak-M, PM55, Intel Lynnfield

Installed chipset drivers from Dell web site and disabled link state management

Frequency of frezzes dramatically reduced.  had one freeze last night around 10pm and another this morning around 6am.  Both during idle.

Will install antifreez as suggested.  what about anti-freeze from same publisher?

Any further suggestion.

66 Posts

May 13th, 2010 13:00

what is anti-freez?

Mitch

May 13th, 2010 16:00

Computer:

Model of laptop Studio 1747

BIOS Revision number - A08

Board Model - 0J509P

Processor - i7 820QM

Power supply (130w/90w) - 130w

ATI Radeon HD 4650

Chipset Intel PM55 Rev-11

Issues:

System lock-ups - Random freezes when using any simple program

Random freezes when sitting idle

Random freezes when sleeping or hibernating

Freezes during HD streams

I too am having issues with my computer freezing up at random times and HD lockups. I hesitate to install a "beta" version of the ATI video driver as a fix. I've also read other posts where this hasn't fixed anything for some people. So, is this the way to go or should I wait for ATI to come out with a final version or Dell to actually fix the issue?

Randy 

5 Posts

May 13th, 2010 20:00

Well I fixed the blue screens with the new chipset drivers from Dell, I have since followed the instructions on this forum and got new drivers and installed them as ordered from intel, but the machine was still locking up when I tried to play 720 p video's on vimeo in full screen.

So I just went to the adobe site, uninstalled flash, and installed the newest 10.1 beta 4.  Played the same video that crashed, and it plays perfectly.  I do have the 90 watt power supply, and the lappy is a bit hot on the bottom, but the ps is cool.

Also running the latest ATI drivers from ATI.  Not the dell one.

Its an I7 with ati 4650 card, 4 gigs and touch screen.

also its Win 7 Professional

Lets hope this is the end of the lockups

May 14th, 2010 07:00

Background program that capture memory dump and other informaiton upon crash.

Frank

5 Posts

May 14th, 2010 11:00

• Studio 1558
  • A04 BIOS
  • 0874P6
  • 90W PSU
  • Core i7 720QM
  • ATI 4570(5470?) 1GB  - not sure b/c it's a refurb, tried both dell Catalyst or 10.04

Problems:

• System Lock-up

System locks up, unresponsive.  No memory dmp in systemroot, no logs to the event viewer.  None of the cores are running at 100%, nor do the fans spin up.  X-Fi is installed, but haven't tried uninstalling it.  System locks up seemingly at random, whether watching highres flash video, browsing the internet, or running virus/malware scans. Changing Powerplay settings has had no effect.   Has happened in other OSes as well.

1.8K Posts

I posted some additional information for Studio XPS 1640 owners just a few minutes ago.  Also, if they aren't released yet, there should be some BIOS updates coming soon for a few other systems that may help alleviate some of the issues people have been seeing with their systems. 

Hi everyone,

I have a quick update for customers who own a Studio XPS 1640 system.   We recently released an updated BIOS (version A14) for the 1640.  Similar to the updates to the Studio XPS 1645 and Studio 1747 we updated the algorithm that controls CPU usage on those systems.  We believe we’ve improved the efficiency of the BIOS to resolve issues customers may have been seeing with their processors being throttled by the BIOS.  

If you own a 1640 and want to improve your system performance then we highly recommend you perform the following steps.

1.       Update your BIOS to version A14 or newer.  

2.       Update your Dell System Software to version A05 or newer.

3.       Verify the Video driver is Version 8.631.0.000, A09 or later

Optional updates that we recommend as well include updating your video card driver to version A17 or higher.  

Once you have updated your BIOS, Dell System Software and video card drivers then we suggest you use your system under normal usage to see how it performs.   If you still feel that you’re experiencing problems with your CPU backing off due to power issues you can call Dell’s Technical Support to troubleshoot further.   

Contacting Technical Support

In the United States, use phone numbers on this page to contact Dell Technical Support.

Outside of the United States:

·         Go to support.dell.com

·         At the very bottom of the page, select your country in the Choose a Country/Region field

·         Choose Contact Us on the left hand side

·         Click on the More Details link in the Contact Tech Support section

·         Click on the green Telephone button under the Call Tech Support section

1.8K Posts

I posted some additional information for Studio XPS 1640 owners just a few minutes ago.  Also, if they aren't released yet, there should be some BIOS updates coming soon for a few other systems that may help alleviate some of the issues people have been seeing with their systems. 

Hi everyone,

I have a quick update for customers who own a Studio XPS 1640 system.   We recently released an updated BIOS (version A14) for the 1640.  Similar to the updates to the Studio XPS 1645 and Studio 1747 we updated the algorithm that controls CPU usage on those systems.  We believe we’ve improved the efficiency of the BIOS to resolve issues customers may have been seeing with their processors being throttled by the BIOS.  

If you own a 1640 and want to improve your system performance then we highly recommend you perform the following steps.

1.       Update your BIOS to version A14 or newer.  

2.       Update your Dell System Software to version A05 or newer.

3.       Verify the Video driver is Version 8.631.0.000, A09 or later

Optional updates that we recommend as well include updating your video card driver to version A17 or higher.  

Once you have updated your BIOS, Dell System Software and video card drivers then we suggest you use your system under normal usage to see how it performs.   If you still feel that you’re experiencing problems with your CPU backing off due to power issues you can call Dell’s Technical Support to troubleshoot further.   

Contacting Technical Support

In the United States, use phone numbers on this page to contact Dell Technical Support.

Outside of the United States:

·         Go to support.dell.com

·         At the very bottom of the page, select your country in the Choose a Country/Region field

·         Choose Contact Us on the left hand side

·         Click on the More Details link in the Contact Tech Support section

·         Click on the green Telephone button under the Call Tech Support section

May 14th, 2010 15:00

Hi Todd,

I've got a XPS Studio 16 1645.  I have upgraded the bios to A08 and updated the chip set.  I'm still having screen/system freezes.

Are there any fixes in the pipeline for the 1645?  I'm having to reboot now twice or more per day (it was much more frequent prior to upgrading drivers.  the only thing I can do is use the power switch when it freezes and I'm scared to death I'm trashing my HD.  I have corrupted my Outlook 2007 pst (2.88g) to the point where the only way I could get Outlook to reboot was to move to the 2010 beta and translate the file.

Is there a likilyhood that these are fixable or at least are there individuals working on it?

Frank

5 Posts

May 15th, 2010 03:00

I was actually running on batter power.  Will try videos at home with my 90 watt adapter let everyone know.  On battery, all is fixed.

boot

1 Message

May 16th, 2010 11:00

I think I may have found what may be causing the freezing. I completely reinstalled Windows 7 on my XPS 1647 and when I went to reinstall McAfee security, I found that a WHOLE 4 licenses had been installed on this single laptop. McAfee SecurityCenter installed multiple times (without my permission) which probably caused the freezing issues which happened after a couple weeks of using this laptop. So I asked to have the licenses removed and just one is being used now for this laptop. Hopefully the freezing issue will go away after this.

10 Posts

May 17th, 2010 14:00

I am guessing that Mitch is right in that if Dell can make the symptoms go away for most users, they will probably just sweep it under the rug, and everyone else will be out of luck.  Sad.

You're right.  So far, the only solution to every problem is: Call Dell and tell them that their entire line of laptops is broken and you want a refund.

May 17th, 2010 14:00

Is there a way to upload images?  I have had screen freeze twice in the last 30 minutes (16:06 Eastern May 17th).  I realize how difficult these are as a screen freeze creates no dump file or a blue screen.  So I have started photographing the screen with my iPhone.  First freeze of the day was clicking on "options" while running current Firefox version.  Screen begins to pop up (transparent ) and then freezes.  Second about 30 minutes later was when opening a MS Word attachment from MS Outlook.  Program opens waits on attachment -> freeze.

Birthday Friday - guess what I'm hoping for. 

Thanks for the try.

Frank

No Events found!