Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume.

I'm using an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 64-bit, SP1.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anit-virus, and cleaning out my system.  I've found that sometimes the lag corresponds to spikes in my DPC latency, but sometimes they don't, and I can't find out what's causing the spikes.  I've tried most of the solutions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19142484/19265470.aspx#19265470 ,but nothing seems to have helped, and I'm getting a bit desperate. 

Any ideas?

5 Posts

November 5th, 2011 14:00

Your CPU may be jumping due to another issue though. Hard to tell what the cause is, the CPU 100% is just an effect.

12 Posts

Yeah, the same thing happened with my CPU.  I've been trying to find exactly what is causing the spikes, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Also, looks like the problem isn't isolated with the Inspiron 1545.

I ran the CPU Spike test, Mine only spikes at the Most 19%, on the bad one... mostly I get 3-6 of these stuttering, buzzing, clanking sounds per song. Makes me wonder if this is a CPU Problem, or a Motherboard one, I will continue to investigate this further, BEFORE I contact Dell, When I do, I have saved all board messages to forward to them, When I contact them, I bypass support and send the email to the Admin Part, it seems to get them jumping and acting quicker too.... stay in touch.

5 Posts

Are you guys by any chance using McAfee Antivirus?

12 Posts

November 5th, 2011 15:00

I as well am using McAfee, as it came with the laptop.

I have heard that it's a bit of a power hog, but I tried disabling it before and it didn't help.  I haven't uninstalled it yet, though, so I might try that later.

I use MS Security Essentials, and Windows Firewall. That Does the job very well for me. Protected good. No Viruses at all in the last year.

8 Posts

I am using McAfee SecurityCenter (the one givent with my laptop).

Do you think McAfee is the problem?

5 Posts

November 5th, 2011 16:00

Seeing as how all recent Dell computers are subject to this issue, I think so.

5 Posts

Well, I also have the pre-installed McAfee. I thought that it may be the common factor, but Mick doesn't seem to follow that pattern.

12 Posts

So I tried uninstalling both McAfee and Dell DataSafe, and have not seen any improvement.  Could the problem possibly be a program that comes preinstalled with everyone's computer?

November 5th, 2011 20:00

Guys, Bear with Me a Day or So, I am going ahead with the fresh install, and will update you when I am done..

Thanks,

Mick Barker Sr.

Also Dell Drivers and Downloads had a Hotfix or Patch for DataSafe, that said it stops the "Stuttering of Music Playing", I tried that to no avail, so it didn't help at all. Removed DataSafe and hotfix patch both. I have the DataSafe install program if I ever want to put it back on.... This is getting annoying too. It takes me about Two to Eight Hours once restore or fresh install, just to download MS Updated and Put My Programs back on... May be worth it though.

The Only Two Preinstalled Programs are: Cozi, McAfee Security Suite, and Roxio Easy CD-DVD Burning. When I First did the Factory Restore, I immediatly removed Cozi and McAfee before doing anything else whatsoever, Then I installed Updates from MS. I kept Roxio on there because I have used it for years and never seem to have an issue with Roxio. Maybe I Should try uninstalling Roxio and See. Don't Know. I am leaning toward doing a complete Hard Drive Format, erasing the Restore Partition, and Doing a New Clean Install of MS Win 7 Home Premium x64, and see if that does it, and if it does, then continue to Dell Site to download Drivers, regular stuff I use etc.

12 Posts

November 5th, 2011 21:00

OK, good luck Mick.

November 5th, 2011 22:00

:emotion-15:

I am Back, and For Sure, SMILING, I did a complete Hard Drive Wipe, Format, and Installed the DELL Home Premium Window 7 x64 from my Disk. And the Sound Problem is GONE...

Now, From My Years of being a A+ Technician, I have noticed that One Solution may not be a fix to multiple Computers, or Peoples problems, I am posting this, because My Problem has been resolved. Good Luck to you all, and let me know if I can be of some assistance to anyone. My problem definitely was NOT a hardware issue, but a corrupted driver, MS Update or something else Non-Hardware related. I will do a System Restore Point before doing any MS Updates or Installs of anykind. I will find the Culprit that has caused this Issue.

Mick Barker Sr.

No Events found!