Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume.

I'm using an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 64-bit, SP1.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anit-virus, and cleaning out my system.  I've found that sometimes the lag corresponds to spikes in my DPC latency, but sometimes they don't, and I can't find out what's causing the spikes.  I've tried most of the solutions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19142484/19265470.aspx#19265470 ,but nothing seems to have helped, and I'm getting a bit desperate. 

Any ideas?

12 Posts

November 5th, 2011 23:00

Wow, awesome!  I was hoping to avoid doing a fresh install, but I'm more confident now that it worked for you :)

November 6th, 2011 00:00

That is one reason I never download MS Updates for Dell Laptops or Desktops, they mean well, but they are not the ones who make the components or Hardware used by Dell Machines. Congrats mao.tsetung

6 Posts

November 6th, 2011 04:00

I too downloaded the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology and the stuttering is gone! Hopefully this will take care of the problem. Thank you very much for the suggestion mao.tsetung!

November 6th, 2011 04:00

Hi  mao.tsetung

Does this update have a MS KB update number?

I have searched my updates for "Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"  But it does not find anything.

8 Posts

November 6th, 2011 09:00

I install the lastest version of Rapid Storage Technology and I till have the shuttering... even with a fresh new install...

November 6th, 2011 10:00

The update I suspected as causing the problem is optional and does not have a KB number. Here are the details:

Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

Installationsdatum: ?26.?10.?2011 17:54

Installationsstatus: Erfolgreich

Updatetyp: Optional

Intel Storage software update released in June, 2011

Weitere Informationen:

winqual.microsoft.com/support

Hilfe und Support:

support.microsoft.com/select

November 6th, 2011 11:00

Hi

After digging around on my laptop I've found the following.

This is the information from my device manager:-

Provider Intel

Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

Driver date 15/06/2011

Driver version 10.5.0.1029

If I run Matrix storage console it says its version 8.2  (8.2.0.1001)

So do you think it would be safe to run the download as you suggested

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

Or should I try the update driver option first?

Many thanks for your help.

12 Posts

November 6th, 2011 12:00

Well, that seems to have done it for me, too!  Thanks a lot mao.tsetung, hopefully this fix will work for everyone else, too.

I guess it just goes to show that we should be more wary of Windows Update.  Oh well ^ ^

November 6th, 2011 13:00

Mad props to Mao.tsetung for his valuable aport. You're da man!

8 Posts

November 6th, 2011 15:00

Did you uninstall the last driver or you just install the new drivers?

Do you know how i can uninstall the last driver because when I go in the Device Manager and I select Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller my driver version is 10.6.0.1002 and I still have the sound problem...

12 Posts

November 6th, 2011 16:00

The new version is 10.6.0.1022

Just install the new one, don't worry about uninstalling the old one :)

1 Message

November 7th, 2011 20:00

Thank you.  This worked perfectly.  I wonder why Dell does not have this posted this on the Choppy/Skipping Audio workaround,  the answer posted here would have saved me several hours of  searching for the answer.

S:emotion-12:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 8th, 2011 07:00

I wonder why Dell does not have this posted this on the Choppy/Skipping Audio workaround

I have made a new Choppy/Skipping Audio Workaround FAQ and it now includes mao.tsetung's solution.

(I edited this reply on 8-25-12.)

November 8th, 2011 08:00

I have just downloaded and installed the file suggested by  mao.tsetung.

It has fixed the problem on my Dell Inspiron 1750 Laptop running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.

Interestingly the driver is a month older but I now have version 10.6 of Intel Rapid Storage Technology, it was 8.2.

I have just run Windows update and it said a update was available for  Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

Release date June 2011 published 13/10/2011 this was about when my sound problem started, so I would say that there is a good chance that this is the BAD update! Take note DELL.

I have hidden this update and will be much more careful what I choose to accept.

Many thanks again mao.tsetung your help is much appreciated.

Ummagumma12

8 Posts

November 8th, 2011 10:00

Hi Jimco,

so I understand it well, there is no solution for the moment on XPS L502X?

And you said that there are some topics on this problem, is it possible for you to link them for me please.

Thank man

No Events found!