Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume.

I'm using an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 64-bit, SP1.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anit-virus, and cleaning out my system.  I've found that sometimes the lag corresponds to spikes in my DPC latency, but sometimes they don't, and I can't find out what's causing the spikes.  I've tried most of the solutions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19142484/19265470.aspx#19265470 ,but nothing seems to have helped, and I'm getting a bit desperate. 

Any ideas?

5 Posts

December 26th, 2011 10:00

Thank you thank you thank you!  Problem Fixed!  

John Adams

< ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy >

5 Posts

December 26th, 2011 10:00

Mick, I was having same problem with Inspiron 1545, Windows 7 64-bit, and the solution in this thread has solved my problem.

Thanks very much,

John Adams

< ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy >

December 26th, 2011 17:00

Thank you for giving my music back! I've worked on this for 8 hours today - from now on I'll come here first!  You guys are awesome!

December 26th, 2011 17:00

John Adams,

You are very welcome, But it was a combined effort on All the members here to get this issue resolved, I cannot claim, nor do I claim any rights to solving this issue. We Came together with a Mutual Problem, and Came to a Absolute resolve with the issue, The Pine, jimco , mao.tsetung, and others are due credit as much if not more than I. But I am very glad you are back on track. Congrats My Friend, and the best to you.

Mick Barker Sr.

A+ Technician

1 Message

December 27th, 2011 08:00

I have the same problem on my 14z laptop, purchased only one motnh ago. I called Dell support. The associate excessed my computer by Citirix, diagnosed the problem being softeware related, and suggested to resove it for a one time $130 or one year $240 payment. Dell must be ashamed. I am not smilimg.

December 27th, 2011 20:00

must be the exhaustion from working on this problem for 2 days, even following this thread...my 1750 has the same noise issue, without freezing the screen...it has windows 7 home premium 64-bit...windows update did its work on the ahci sata driver...i went to the "thread suggested" intel site and downloaded the uncorrupted driver file (i thought)...i trudged thru the readme file but could not find a executable file when i went to install...unless i am supposed to ignore the warning and run the .sys file...

just exactly what is run from the 10.8_f6flpy-x64.zip folder??? thanks in advance for any assistance...

December 27th, 2011 21:00

victorjulian,

Go Here: www.intel.com/.../detect , and run the tool to id your hardware, this is the safest way of doing so, that way you are not downloading something that is not relevant to your computer. This link is for the Chipset ID Utility.

Mick Barker Sr.

A+ Technician

December 28th, 2011 14:00

thanks for the feedback...

i did that...twice...every category indicated intel did not want to do a generic "upgrade" to a manufacturer's modification 

OR

intel did not recognize the drivers that were installed...i should perhaps try it a 3rd time and write down the exact verbiage...

51 Posts

December 28th, 2011 20:00

I have been having skipping and stuttering problems just like the ones described above. I've updated my video drives and searched high and low for an updated audio driver to no avail. IT seemed to get worse when I upgraded the CPU from a Turion TL-58 to a TL-68. This is an Inspiron 1501, and there's nothing Intel at all in it.

The problem shows up most when the computer is in my truck. It rarely shows up at all either at my house or at church. Let me use the computer with a pre set playlist to play music while I drive and it skips like crazy. I'll hook the computer up to a typical cassette adapter and to my power inverter, then start Windows Media Player 11 or Pro Presenter 4 and play music. When it starts skipping, if I pull out the plug from the headphone jack or touch the touch pad, it'll resume playing instantly.

This problem isn't as bad when the wifi is turned off, but it still does occur even then.

Any ideas?

51 Posts

December 28th, 2011 20:00

Oh, I forgot to mention some things:

This computer has an OEM version of XP SP3 installed. The skipping occurred when I first got it with the Dell version of XP and the Sempron 3500. (I have upgraded the CPU twice now). I never noticed it with the TL-58 CPU, but that wasn't in there very long. The CPU it has now was supposedly "new" old stock. I don't think it's due to a faulty CPU.

My second assumption would be the heads are bouncing around in the hard disk while I drive. It came with a 60GB Toshiba hard disk, which I upgraded to a 64 GB Crucial SSD. Though this isn't why I got the SSD, it still has the same audio problems after the SSD has been installed.

I've been building and maintaining my own computers for 12 years now and have never run across anything so odd. It literally seems like it depends on the computer's physical location whether the music stutters or not.

December 30th, 2011 14:00

here is a solution from another thread...simple...and it worked for me...

Hey all. Just wanted to add to this answer, (sorry if I'm doing it wrong I just joined!) I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 lappy running Windows 7 home premium aswell. Bought it direct from Dell last November and had no probs until a matter of weeks ago when this particular audio/visual problem occured. I first noticed it when trying to play back cds I'd ripped to my Windows media player library, then also when watching Youtube videos. Tried all manner of basic stuff as previously mentioned in this thread, and Googled, and quite frankly gave up! Had another go today and found this thread (thank the lordy!) After trying to understand the jargon (lol) and taking in the suggestions and viewpoints, I ended up going to my device manager---- clicking the little arrow to the left of 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers----clicking on Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI controller----going to the driver tab and selecting roll back driver....This changed it to: version 8.9.0.1023  date= 04/06/2009.........After a restart it's CURED! I have been watching multiple youtube videos and it hasn't happened ONCE so far! (Fingers crossed) I came back to post on here and hadn't seen this second page, or the post I'm now replying to lol! So a lucky guess basically I don't know wether the driver THEPINE mentions is the old one or a totally new, and wether I've just done something slightly different or the same thing in a different way?! But there's my story, and I hope it helps peeps, and a massive thankyou to the others on this thread for their research and input too!

1 Message

December 30th, 2011 17:00

I think, I might have found the solution:

I noticed a driver update installed by MS Update: Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (released in June, 2011)

Then I checked the Intel Matrix Storage Manager utility on my machine and found it was outdated (version 8.9). Therefore I downloaded and installed the most recent version (version 10.6 of Intel Rapid Storage Technology which seems to have replaced Intel Matrix Storage Manager) from here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

No stuttering. Yay!

Configuration: Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows 7 Premium, 64 Bit

UPDATE: After 1 hour of playing around with the system I can confirm that the problem is gone. I noticed that MS Update now suggests the optional Update "Intel - Storage - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" again (although it is contained in the list of already installed updates. That's confusing). I don't dare to install this...

Cha Ching! nice fix. works great now. thanks for sharing.

51 Posts

December 30th, 2011 23:00

There's nothing made by Intel in my laptop at all. I did get the problem reduced, but not eliminated entirely.

8 Posts

December 31st, 2011 03:00

have a dell inspiron N7110,and i found a solution for the problem,,,,problem is in the wireless adapter,and all you have to do is to disable it,and  glitching and buzzing sound will disappear.It worked for me

You need to buy a external wireless adapter and wait for the fix to come out....

1 Message

December 31st, 2011 03:00

Thanks; that has worked for me. I rolled back the driver and the buzz has gone. The old driver I am using is dated 04/06/2009, version 8.9.0.1023.

No Events found!