Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback

Hi,

Recently I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume.

I'm using an Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7 64-bit, SP1.

I've tried everything I could think of, updating all my drivers, reinstalling codecs, running anit-virus, and cleaning out my system.  I've found that sometimes the lag corresponds to spikes in my DPC latency, but sometimes they don't, and I can't find out what's causing the spikes.  I've tried most of the solutions here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19142484/19265470.aspx#19265470 ,but nothing seems to have helped, and I'm getting a bit desperate. 

Any ideas?

May 30th, 2012 15:00

the problem is caused by intel's wireless adapter, got that too, you can disable it in devices manager or download new drivers from intel's site. released in february of this year

27 Posts

May 30th, 2012 17:00

Jim.....you are a jewel! Thank you so very much for the 'fix' that worked beautifully! I just did it and voile!! the buzzing has completely stopped! Now I can listen to music and watch videos without that annoying interruption!

For anyone else who has a Dell Inspiron 1545 or 1750......this works!

And yes, Jim, you are a Dell Rock Star in my book!

bb

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 31st, 2012 07:00

Nonstopsmoker, thanks for your input. There are a number of different Dell laptop models that have a similar symptom of noise or glitch in the audio. There are various problems and various solutions. To avoid confusion we are trying to keep the different problems and their solutions separate. This thread is about a problem in the Inspiron 1545 and 1750 models caused by a bad Microsoft update. There  are many other threads about the wireless problem to which you refer. You might be interested in this one about the XPS 15z model. :XPS 15z Audio Crackling/Stuttering with network traffic over wireless (Latency Issue)

nootch258, thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to post them. The fix was the work of poster mao.tsetung on page 3 of this thread. About the RockStar thing, I truly appreciate the compliment but I am not a RockStar by choice. Not being one allows me the freedom to be just as critical of Dell as any other poster. RockStars must take a pledge to refrain from doing so which is not something I could in good conscience promise. Besides that, I find the name itself to be unutterly and embarrassingly passé. 

27 Posts

May 31st, 2012 08:00

Mao.tsetung: My apologies for not complimenting you for the work done to find both the problem and the repair. Great work! Without it, many of us would still be confused and irritated.

Jimco: I take back my compliment of your being my Dell Rock Star; I did not mean to offend. But you are my knight in shining armor for helping me with this buzzing that put undue stress on both me and my computer. You replied more than any other contributor. Thank you

2 Posts

June 6th, 2012 19:00

Had same problem on Inspiron 1750. Caused by MS driver update in June 2011 on Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
Reverted black to previous version. Problem solved.

27 Posts

June 6th, 2012 21:00

Great news! I guess the Inspiron line has had really bad problems with this buzzing. I reverted back to a previous version and it didn't work, as I have the 1545 model. I had to download a fix from jimco, which did work. Dell needs to address this problem with all their Inspiron models, as well as MS. Doesn't put either in a good light! Happy computing!

June 6th, 2012 22:00

Sorry, Been out of state and in Florida for awhile.

Yes, this is a problem with Inspiron 1545's, and Others too. Some are resolved by disabling wireless switch, some by rolling back drivers, some by installing a driver, after scanning at Intel's site. And like myself, I did a Complete Hard Disk Re-Format, and Re-installing Windows from my Disc that came with My Inspiron 1545, and then ONLY using High Rated Updates from Microsoft I had not experienced any further problem, I do Remote Technician Work, but it will not be available until sometime in Mid July when I have the opportunity Moving from Kentucky to Florida and getting Internet Connection Stabilized in Florida, Of Course do to my deep love for Computer Repair, I will Offer a One-Time Remote Assistance Session to all Users in This Particular Forum Thread. Stay in touch with this Thread and I will Update My relocation progress, and when I will be able to start helping those a little less tech savvy. I use "Teamviewer" for the Remote Sessions, and it is 100% Secure, Free, and Dependable. I have used this program to re-install a ladies Entire Operating System from the U.S. to Canada... The One Time Session is Offered without charge and I Strongly Impress to You that I am held totally un-liable to session done due to Internet Outage, Server Crash, or any other unforeseen situation.

I hope this does not in anyway conflict with Dell, Forum Rules, or any other harm due to what is offered here, IF IT IS a Problem, Please bring it to my attention, and I will withdraw the post.

Thank You,

Mick Barker Sr.

DELL User, PC Technician, Certified Remote Help Support

1 Message

June 29th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

Had exactly the same problem with exactly same laptop and spec, I changed the battery and cured immediately, I was receiving error message saying I should change my battery, I tried all the fixes in this post and nothing worked until I changed my battery.

Hope this helps

Rob

27 Posts

June 29th, 2012 16:00

WOW! This is good to know. I had the problem also but it was solved by replacing a update from MS. Thank you for sharing this. If it happens to me again, it might be the battery! I found out that reverting back to a previous date/version does not always work. Thanks again for sharing!

5 Posts

July 31st, 2012 06:00

Mao,

I had the exact same problem in my Dell XPS 8500 until I found your solution.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software for my computer at Intel's website but I found one more recent version of it on Dell's website.  

I downloaded and installed the update and so far, no more annoying buzzing or stuttering from my machine.  

I can't thank you enough for finding the solution to this problem.  Thanks again.

-Mario

1 Message

August 9th, 2012 20:00

hey im having this problem and your links dont work can i get a update of how to fix this i realize im a little late on all this but please hel[

27 Posts

August 9th, 2012 22:00

The following worked for me, but I have an Dell Inspiron 1545. It was the fix for me and for other Dell Insprion owners/users.

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

Others have had to revert back to an earlier date on their systems, which I did first, but it didn't work. Others now say that your battery may need replacing.

Please tell us what kind of computer you have, how old it is, what you have already done, and some one here will help you. The people who post here are very knowledgeable and will gladly help you.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2012 08:00

Update

The main recommendation in this thread is to download and install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver directly from the Intel site. Most of the links in this thread no longer work. This one is still working for me.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm

For months the latest version was 10.8.0.1003, dated 11/11/2011. That has been removed and now the latest is version 11.2.0.1006, dated 06/07/2012. If anyone tries the new version please post and let us know if it worked.

Note: there are 4 flavors of the 11.2.0.1006 driver on the Intel site. I suggest using one of these:

iata_enu.exe if you have an English version of the operating system. 
iata_cd.exe if you have an operating system other than English.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2012 16:00

hello Mao,

i'm also a xps8500 user and having the same problem. I couldn't find the update driver on dell support or intel's site. Please share the address thanks about

27 Posts

August 24th, 2012 19:00

Please see the response directly above your posting. What you need it there, on the left hand side of the page. Good luck and let us all know if it works for you.

No Events found!