Thanks for the response jimco. Will be looking at doing this, probably this weekend - luckily, I actually get to HAVE a weekend again, since I've spent the last several either working overtime or running kids all over the place.
Will have to watch what occurs during initialization of the machine - I seem to remember setting it to NOT do drivers but might have accidentally undone that setting. Would allowing updates for Office software ("Microsoft Update") have undone this? That's the only setting I can see that might have done it.
Now, here's the frustrating thing - at this moment, I'm listening to MP3s, and I've been going for seven minutes with no glitches. Yesterday, when I posted in frustration, I was getting glitches four or five times in a three to four minute song. (And no, it's not encoded in the particular files, I've run them on different machines as well) So now I have to debate whether I REALLY want to go through the trouble of doing another wipe and restore. Well, I've got a few days during which to make a decision, I guess.
To paraphase from Elton John, "The Glitch Is Back".
I really don't get this - I'm not using the machine any differently tonight than last night. Windows Update shows that the last update installation was four days ago, about 1:00 in the afternoon. Last programs that show having been installed are the IDT software on 8/27 and a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable file (would this have come with IDT?) on the same day. I don't see how any of these could be causing a problem TODAY when they didn't last night.
I guess another backup, rebuild, and restore is going to be in my future...
Have you tried this one?
It worked for me, and it never came back. I understand that the original program was not written properly and is the cause of the buzzing. This is the 'fix.'
Let us know if it works. If not, you have an issue with Windows and may need to contact them, again if necessary. I wish you good luck with this one.
nootch: I get a page not found error when I try that link?
Did try running the Driver Update Utility on Intel's page and the response was:
Graphics Driver - current
Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF) - "valid" (? how is this different from current - doesn't say there's a newer version available)
Audio driver for desktop board - device unknown or unsupported - contact manufacturer
Wireless networking - newer driver available
Wired networking - device unknown
Intel Wireless Display Software - newer software available
Was the wireless networking the driver you were referring to?
I'm sorry. I thought it might still be available. And no, it's not the wireless netwroiking driver I was referring to. It has to deal with a program that was badly written and downloaded when the computer was built or with a Windows update. Let me do some checking and see what else I might find. Hang in there.....
Ah - are you referring to the Rapid Storage Technology thing? If so, I have that installed with the June 2012 edition - version 184.108.40.2066. Didn't fix the problem.
Now, when I did my rebuild last Saturday, two devices came up as "unknown" in Device Manager. I popped in the driver CD that came with the machine and one of them installed from the CD (the USB Root Hub), but the other didn't. I did allow Windows to download a driver for the other item and it installed (though I don't remember now which item it was). I had the audio working just fine at this point, so I'm doubtful that this was where it went wrong.
Looking at my device manager, there's three items in the sound, video, and game controllers section - the IDT audio codec, a Bluetooth Audio, and an Intel Display Audio. Is there a chance that there is a conflict between these that Windows isn't noticing? Probably grasping at straws there, but figured it was worth a shot.
At this point, I'm planning on redoing the rebuild this weekend. Not that I'm *WANTING* to spend my weekend doing this, but I'm hoping that I might be able to get back to some semblance of normalcy with it. If I can't, I'm not sure what to do next.
Backed up and uninstalled and restored the system last night. Started rebuilding this morning. Downloaded current device drivers from Dell's website this morning for all of the devices I could clearly identify (for some reason, I've never been able to get their site to scan my machine for drivers to update).
Haven't done any real detailed audio testing yet but just ran about 11 minutes of video & audio from YouTube without any glitching.
In another thread, I had seen a reference to a program (DPCLAT from thesycon) and have been running that to monitor - it's giving me a message about badly behaving drivers that will "probably cause dropouts" in real-time audio/video streaming. I've tried disabling a variety of things but keep seeing periodic massive spikes (current absolute maximum says 19433us) but nothing seems to have had any impact whatsoever.
Once I start some real audio testing, I will keep an eye on this. Something tells me, though, that my problem may just be unsolvable (that may just be the pessimist in me, though). And the infuriating thing is that everything was working just fine until sometime in early June.
I appreciate the help you guys have given, though, and maybe I can beat this thing still. I'm highly disappointed in how this has turned out, as I was really liking this machine up until this occurred - now it's just a source of stress and frustration.
I have same problem with my N7110 and after reading the whole topic I am not sure what solution would apply to my case, since I could not install Intel Rapid Technology driver as it says it's not compatible with my system (This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software) .
I updated nvidia and intel graphics drivers, but it didn't fix my problem. It is not happening that often but I would very much like to fix it.